Xbox One Why would Bungie reveal Destiny at Playstation's E3 Press Conference?

ColeecoKid

From
Austin
I am pretty geared up for Destiny. Bungie is a solid team of dev's with a lot of industry experience. Destiny has supposedly been in development since as far back as 2009, which means this project is going to be huge. I for one would like to see more MMO type games coming to console's. I know that PS4 has several slated to come out a launch (Warframe, Planetside 2). I am just curious as to why Bungie elected to have the gameplay reveal during Playstation's E3 Press Conference. They have been seemingly embedded as a Microsoft staple, and as far as I can tell this is not helping XB1's lackluster showing thus far.
If anyone else is curious the gameplay reveal will be on Monday June 10th

I get the feeling Bungie and Microsoft have had a bit of a fallout recently. The fact that Destiny is not exclusive to the Xbox is the biggest tell that Microsoft and Bungie are no longer best buds, perhaps Sony moved in and slipped a couple of bucks in Bungie's pockets to get them to reveal with Sony.

Personally I'm really excited for Destiny and can't wait to see more of it.

That is a pretty interesting detail. I agree there must have been a falling out. I mean, seems likely to me, given the circumstances. Microsoft probably wanted to keep them exclusive, and working on Halo games. I'll be honest I didn't follow the story much, but whenever things like that happen, you never know if you're getting the whole story anyway.

I can't wait to see this game though, I have high expectations for it!

I have no idea what bungie is doing.
Does anyone else think the Halo Movie is a BIG Mistake? Dammit bungie

Bungie went from pc/mac to xbox exclusive with Halo. They want to build for all consoles. They have to prove to PS3 players that they can make a great game. Xbox people already know they can.

It wouldn't be for less, after what Microsoft done to their loved franchise, Halo, with Halo 4 and so one, Bungie is really hating the guts out of Microsoft and are trying to get away from it's clutches!

I don't know, but I definitely can't wait to see the gameplay footage. I really have high hopes for it. As far as it airing at PS3 press conference I don't see much of a problem with it.

I would hope that they show Destiny at E3, but I'm not sure if they will. They certainly don't like Microsoft that much and don't have any floor time for themselves. I think they will just release some trailers online later in the Summer.

Bungie has no contract with Microsoft any longer, so they've gone multiplatform. But Microsoft does own the Halo franchise, so that will remain exclusive. As someone else said, they have had a "falling out", one can say.

The relationship between Bungie and Microsoft over the last couple of years is fascinating. Clearly their relationship went south as Bungie now is free to develop for other systems.

Relationships aside, I hope Bungie is able to turn out a solid game in Destiny. Currently I don't know too much about it, but I assume that will change in the coming days and weeks. I think their work on the latest Halo left a lot to be desired and this would be a great opportunity to see what they can do when they aren't restricted to the Halo story.

Currently I don't know too much about it, but I assume that will change in the coming days and weeks. I think their work on the latest Halo left a lot to be desired and this would be a great opportunity to see what they can do when they aren't restricted to the Halo story.

The premise for Destiny, is like this: A persistent FPS shooter, similar to an MMO. However you can definitely traverse solo. Other players can pop into instances, and you can interact with other players in cities. There will be three classes or at least that is how many have been revealed. Sniper, Soldier and some type of tech priest class. I am not sure how PVP works, and I do believe there will be vehicles with a possibility of real time space combat, although that is purely speculative.
As far as Halo 4, Bungie had nothing to do with it. 343 Industries now owns the Halo franchise, and while it does have a few key Halo originators (Frank O' Conner) the studio was formed completely fresh, and only hired die hard Halo lovers.

Well, I think the biggest reason is they were slipped a few extra dollars.

However, I think it does have to do with handling public relations. RIght now, anyone who has every played Halo is definitely going to get this game. Yet, all the Playstation guys are still convinced that Halo isn't that great because it isn't on Playstation. By showing off the game at the Sony conference the Playstation people will think that Bungie has "switched sides" despite them being multi-platform.

Sony also gets a lot of good PR because Bungie is a great developer and is presenting at their conference. Seriously, they make good games.

However, I think it does have to do with handling public relations. RIght now, anyone who has every played Halo is definitely going to get this game. Yet, all the Playstation guys are still convinced that Halo isn't that great because it isn't on Playstation. By showing off the game at the Sony conference the Playstation people will think that Bungie has "switched sides" despite them being multi-platform.

Sony also gets a lot of good PR because Bungie is a great developer and is presenting at their conference. Seriously, they make good games.

The biggest reason is they signed a 10 year deal with Activision. First, they broke away from Microsoft and went independent. They finished Reach and started on Destiny. Then they made the deal with Activision. Bungie is a little self indulging. Let's see how they do without the name "Halo" on their title. Destiny will sell like crazy. Activision will make sure of that.

I am ridiculously excited to see how Destiny turns out, the gameplay shown during the Sony press conference looked fantastic! I understand why Bungie went to Sony for the big reveal; they already have an established fan base with Microsoft, and now are trying to get the Sony diehards to "convert." I heard one of the talking heads after the press conference discussing how the Xbox One may end up being a better platform for Destiny due to it's future-proofing with the cloud technology. As they intend to have a persistent "MMO" type world that lasts for almost the life of the console, they may be on to something with that, but it's all speculation at this point!

Bungie has always been exclusive to one platform, starting with the early apple days, moving through Halo exclusivity on the Xbox. If they play their cards right, expanding to multiple platforms will be a huge step forward for the company, and might mean better games in the future (I know that "better games" by Bungie standards is pretty hard to do, they already hit near perfection).

Bingo, Sony said, hey debut the game with us and you'll get a lot of free PR from us and also, here's some extra cash. It came down to who wanted/needed them on their stage the most and I'm guessing Sony did.

I could be completely wrong and Bungie had some ulterior motives but I doubt it.

I believe they revealed it at PlayStation's E3 conference because everyone with the Xbox pretty much already knows about it and they want to get PS3/PS4 gamer's interested in it. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony paid them more money to have it revealed with them either. I'm sure Microsoft paid for the Battlefield and Call of Duty events to be done during Microsoft Xbox's event.

Because of the same reasons that Insomniac showed their game during Microsoft's presentation.

Same reason there is exclusive content for the PS4, money.

I would rather have dedicated servers in this type of game so I would definitely go for the Xbox One version.

I imagine all versions of Destiny have dedicated servers, though. It's practically an MMO, kinda like Defiance.

Because of the same reasons that Insomniac showed their game during Microsoft's presentation.

No. Destiny is multi-platform, but Sunset Overdrive is exclusive to Xbox One, so it's not the same.

Back