Xbox One WW2 games making a comeback

I'm glad that WW2 games seem to be making a comeback, they were pretty oversaturated at the time and we needed a real break from them. But now with the Modern games working people's nerves, I'm glad to see that WW2 games are dipping their toes back into the market. Which gaming having changed so much it'll be interesting how different the genre will be now.

I'm interested in seeing if anything can be done that hasn't been done before. At the core it's still a FPS. Anything you attempt to do with just be whatever other FPS your company puts out, only with a different skin, period appropriate weapons, vehicles, storyline, and missions. And of course graphics, but that's not really new, that's a given with the WW2 shooter being two consoles removed. I think as long people don't go in with visions of some great or landmark no one will be disappointed and everyone will walk away happy.

...but people will expect something truly outside of the box anyways.

Or having a hard time controlling your character who is trying to find a tree in the middle of battle.

It would suck to catch a headshot while squatting behind a tree in the woods.

True, at the heart of World War II games is the fact that they are just FPS' with a different story and costumes but still FPS'. Maybe that was the problem though, people got sick of WW2, because modern games took over and they were WW2 games just modern. But I guess that that allows for a little more room in story than WW2 games did. It'll be interesting if this really revives the genre and they can figure out a way to distinguish themselves from the 1st around.

True, at the heart of World War II games is the fact that they are just FPS' with a different story and costumes but still FPS'. Maybe that was the problem though, people got sick of WW2, because modern games took over and they were WW2 games just modern. But I guess that that allows for a little more room in story than WW2 games did. It'll be interesting if this really revives the genre and they can figure out a way to distinguish themselves from the 1st around.

Yup, I can agree. Maybe we've seen way too many modern combats, so it's nice to take a little trip back into the time when wearing a helment in WW2 was cool. Now it's a matter of knowing how to get back into the WWII genre without sucking at it.

I do miss them now which is funny since I was so tired of them by the time Call of Duty 3 and World at War came out.

I do miss them now which is funny since I was so tired of them by the time Call of Duty 3 and World at War came out.

It's a cycle mod-man: we had so many of them WW2 games before, then we got tired and suddenly, we have modern warfares. But we've had so many modern warfares that all of a sudden, WW2 games are coming slowly. See Sniper Elite 3, for one. It's like.. insanity XD

I believe that the companies that put out FPS learned from the WW2-era of modern FPS. When the modern combat-era gets good and moldy they'll jump over to WW2. In truth, what they should do is put out a mix--sci fi shooter, modern combat shooter, period shooter. There's nothing wrong with the abundance of FPS, every genre puts out multiple games with the same general mechanics a year, the thing is when you put several of the games of different franchises/series within a franchise side by side and they come off as 99% similar.

I say mix it up and don't follow a cycle. I remember telling Outrun that FPS would've done pretty good press-wise during the 4th and 5th generation since all EA or Activision would've had to do when it came to getting a new game out is release some screenshots in a magazine, do a few interviews, and make everyone wait. Now you have to do a bunch of screens, a bunch of print and video interviews, Q&A, and several videos...then clean up whatever was wrong with the game with patches.

...you're gonna have to patch your game. Back then it just released and that was it. "What? There's an invisible wall glitch on mission 5? Can you still play? Can you go around it? You can? Well deal with it."

World War 2 games never get old. Haha. Ironically it gets better than the modern war games that we have these days. I love Medal of Honor. Since the trend is coming back I will keep an eye on the games that have the same genre and theme. I love the classic guns and all. I wish there was an old war game similar to the movie The Patriot.

I believe that the companies that put out FPS learned from the WW2-era of modern FPS. When the modern combat-era gets good and moldy they'll jump over to WW2. In truth, what they should do is put out a mix--sci fi shooter, modern combat shooter, period shooter. There's nothing wrong with the abundance of FPS, every genre puts out multiple games with the same general mechanics a year, the thing is when you put several of the games of different franchises/series within a franchise side by side and they come off as 99% similar.

I say mix it up and don't follow a cycle. I remember telling Outrun that FPS would've done pretty good press-wise during the 4th and 5th generation since all EA or Activision would've had to do when it came to getting a new game out is release some screenshots in a magazine, do a few interviews, and make everyone wait. Now you have to do a bunch of screens, a bunch of print and video interviews, Q&A, and several videos...then clean up whatever was wrong with the game with patches.

...you're gonna have to patch your game. Back then it just released and that was it. "What? There's an invisible wall glitch on mission 5? Can you still play? Can you go around it? You can? Well deal with it."

You make some good points there. I guess that's why for every Call of Duty or Battlefield that comes out, there's FPSes that transcend boundaries (see: Borderlands 2, Shadow Warrior, Bioshock). Now we're in next-gen, so we'll see what developers have cooking up for the FPS genre. Will the cycle of WW2 come back? We shall see.

WW2 shooters! I'm all for those making a comeback!. I remember having a ton of fun in Medal of Honor back when it was firmly a WW2 title.

Awww man! Medal of Honor. That's the series I will never forget playing on the PlayStation. I especially liked Underground, the only Medal of Honor where you play as a woman. That one really showed a different perspective on the WW2-era.

Awww man! Medal of Honor. That's the series I will never forget playing on the PlayStation. I especially liked Underground, the only Medal of Honor where you play as a woman. That one really showed a different perspective on the WW2-era.

Medal of Honor really rocks. I hope it gets here on Xbox One.

Yeah, I wish they can revive those games as well as Counter Strike.

I'd like a realistic game, I was always a fan of Aces High 2 and had high hopes for WW2Online, but need something that is realistic, violent, and bloody.

I want to see them make a real comeback though it is funny. I do remember a time when I was sick of seeing WW2 games, I couldn't stand them at one point and it was a relief to see the Modern games era come. Now I'm sick of the Modern games, and I feel like the WW2 games would be like a breath of fresh air. It's amazing how time changes your perspective.

I want to see them make a real comeback though it is funny. I do remember a time when I was sick of seeing WW2 games, I couldn't stand them at one point and it was a relief to see the Modern games era come. Now I'm sick of the Modern games, and I feel like the WW2 games would be like a breath of fresh air. It's amazing how time changes your perspective.

I feel you. Well if possible why not have something like a time travel type world war two game where the modern meets the classic.

Hopefully we do see some more, I really don't see or understand why we don't get more WW2 themed games considering the history and scale of the conflict. Only just realized that literally every single big FPS game out these days is modern.

That's the cycle! Then at some time, we'll be sick of the comeback then back to modern war. But then again, humanity can sometimes be funny too so I'm not sure what to expect in the future. But maybe WW2 games in this generation or the next will be different this time.

I'm not sure if this is true. Given that the article only links two games, that aren't even out yet, and are made by small indie developers, I'm not sure if they are making a comeback.

I was playing Halo for most of the whole WW2 thing, so I don't care if they come back or not. I feel like there are only so many thing you can do with a WW2 game, but you can do whatever you want with a game set in the future.

I'm not sure if this is true. Given that the article only links two games, that aren't even out yet, and are made by small indie developers, I'm not sure if they are making a comeback.

I was playing Halo for most of the whole WW2 thing, so I don't care if they come back or not. I feel like there are only so many thing you can do with a WW2 game, but you can do whatever you want with a game set in the future.

That's why we're getting games like Titanfall and Get Even, which are set in the future too. Then there's Evolve, Human Element...
You know what? Future-set games are becoming a norm now. I never thought it clearly but when I start seeing the new shooter and FPS games coming out, there's a lot of future-set games coming out already.

Back