Xbox One - Best is yet to come

Ringo

Famous analyst Piper Jaffray has been quoted saying that XBox One sales "won’t hit their peak for years" (as also PS4). The sales have been good so far but with more and more people discovering the joys of gaming this is just the beginning.

Reactions: Guy
I believe XBox One and all Microsoft gaming systems will surge ahead of others because of the compatibility features. More people are coming online and guess which systems most of them use - Microsoft systems. So Sony and others will be no match for Microsoft.

I second what Starman mentioned. I also know that there are still a lot of people out there who think that a next gen console is still too expensive as not everyone is willing to dish out that kind of money on an entertainment system. As long as the price keeps dropping, people will feel more inclined to buy it. As game developers find more ways to take full advantage of what the system has to offer, better, more attractive games will keep getting released. Microsoft can only go up for now.

This tends to happen because of how long it takes to get a great game out. Some of these studios are still tied up releasing material from older platforms and are just now able to start working on their new stuff, gotta give it time!

I do think as the older consoles start to lose their market share then that in turn is going to boost the Xbox one in the market.

A lot of the software developers are starting to only release games for the Xbox one and PS4 now, so that will speed up the process of people switching from their old 360's more than ever.

Absolutely! The problem is in that gradual spread from one platform to the next. Not only are we waiting on the best titles to finish cooking, we're waiting on some of the best developers to finish with what they've been working on before the 1 was announced. It's a weird little mixture.

Ideally for us Xbox one owners they'd say right, from this date onwards, no 360 games will be released and all the servers will shut down. That would then force people's hands into buying an Xbox ONE, and also force the software houses to concentrate on just the one console from now on.

I know that's from a purely selfish point of view as an Xbox ONE owner, but hasn't this migration been going on long enough already?

The problem with doing that is that developers have been making games for the system for a long time. This means that there are still games in the pipe that were never released, but are still slated to be created. We want those games, because many of them are very old and have a lot of work put into them. It's only after a few more years that we will really see mass support for the one.

Like I said that was from a selfish perspective of an Xbox ONE owner like myself. While I agree with your points regarding the games for the Xbox 360 still awaiting release, as Xbox ONE owners it makes us think we might aswell not have bothered upgrading.

Surely that would be a worry for Microsoft also? They want people to buy the Xbox ONE but they're not going to because the Xbox 360 is still going as strong as ever.

The thing about having the one now is that once a game is released that you -do- want to play, think of it as basically paying just a slight bit more for the console for the ability to do that. If it takes another 2 years for it to go down $100, then you basically paid under $5 a month above everyone else to play one games at launch until then. Totally worth it.

I just get the impression that Microsoft thought that by now there would be more people buying and playing the Xbox ONE than what there actually is, but that can also be said about Sony with the PlayStation 4 aswell.

The next gen consoles might well have revolutionised the gaming industry from the manufacturers perspective, but for the players we was...And in some respects still are happy enough playing our last gen consoles.

@pwarbi I think the biggest problem is that it's so hard to really get an idea of what's going on behind the curtain, there's no way to know what's really in development since it has to be kept secret and under wraps. It's like, you could get people to the one, but that also drops 360 sales...it's tricky, they're competing with themselves in a way

As we've said in another thread on here though, if Microsoft keep going down the route of making 360 games available on the Xbox ONE, then slowly but surely people will start to migrate away from the Xbox 360 more and more.

Surely it makes better business sense for Microsoft to have just the one platform up and running?

It would, lol. Having one would be ideal, but that is called a PC! They can't stop supporting the old console, and they have to compete in the console wars to keep interest, and people just want new consoles. It's gotta be a headache for corporate.

Well even though you say that PC would be preferable, I've got no doubt that the Xbox system as come too far now for Microsoft to abandon it. If they did, that would also be them conceding defeat to Sony, and knowing Microsoft, that's something they will never do!

Microsoft won't abandon the Xbox because it's already so popular (Yes, PS4 is doing better but Xbox One is still out pacing Xbox 360 which was out pacing the PS3 at the time) and because they know that people like me (and I'm far from alone on this) just simply don't want to play on PC. I don't find any of the benefits of PC gaming to be worth switching over to it, and if I ever get a gaming rig it would probably still not be my main machine.

I got it last year and I'm pretty much happy about it. 2013 was not that long ago, so it's kinda crazy to understand that soon it will be replaced with another one.

Microsoft won't abandon the Xbox because it's already so popular (Yes, PS4 is doing better but Xbox One is still out pacing Xbox 360 which was out pacing the PS3 at the time) and because they know that people like me (and I'm far from alone on this) just simply don't want to play on PC. I don't find any of the benefits of PC gaming to be worth switching over to it, and if I ever get a gaming rig it would probably still not be my main machine.

I'm not and never have been a PC gamer either in all honesty even though I know a lot of people are.

The Xbox as become a legendary device over the years so if Microsoft ever did concede to Sony and give up, I think it would have a massive impact on Microsoft and on gaming in general and I just can't see it ever happening.

It is also about the younger generations, kids who are now like 6-7 years old, who will grow up with time, and will fall into line with the others who love gaming and especially console gaming. As elders will die and fade away, the new generation will take their places, therefore taking the sales to a whole new level, in the coming years, gaming will gain more notoriety than it ever had.

^ Yup, factor in VR and you have one of the most successful industries on the planet. Games will eventually be closer to "reality suspension" or augmented reality will end up more as "reality enhancement," both of which being worth so much money to people that the people involved in creating AR/VR are going to be loaded.

Back