Xbox One Xbox spying on us?

jfab

So what is all this talk of Xbox spying on us? I heard something about some crazy sensor in the machine that never turns off and monitors every move you make. It even supposedly monitors your heart rate and body temperature! is this true? Does anyone have any news or information on this?

So what is all this talk of Xbox spying on us? I heard something about some crazy sensor in the machine that never turns off and monitors every move you make. It even supposedly monitors your heart rate and body temperature! is this true? Does anyone have any news or information on this?

It is true that the sensor and camera never turns off, unless you manually turn it off or unplug Kinect. However, there hasn't been any evidence of Microsoft spying on users... At least I haven't heard anything about that yet. In regards to being able to scan your heart rate and body temperature, I believe I did read something about this. I know the 2.0 sensor is definitely more powerful than its predecessor.

J

It is true that the sensor and camera never turns off, unless you manually turn it off or unplug Kinect. However, there hasn't been any evidence of Microsoft spying on users... At least I haven't heard anything about that yet. In regards to being able to scan your heart rate and body temperature, I believe I did read something about this. I know the 2.0 sensor is definitely more powerful than its predecessor.

Yeah, I agree. The sensor is way better than before. But I don't think they will be spying on us. If they are are they will be sued eventually by lots and lots of users for invasion of privacy.

I think it's a little conspiracy-theorist to assume these machines are doubling as spy agents. I see where people have privacy concerns but I think if any information is being relayed to the government, console hackers would have figured it out by now.

The older I am, the more I see that these kinds of conspiracy theories are utter crap. Microsoft cares about profit, not about your living room or whatever. That's my opinion on it, and I believe it's the correct one lol.

Of course Microsoft is spying on you. If you're not enjoying NFL while eating Doritos and drinking Mountain Dew they're going to break into your house, pelt you with Dew, and correct your behavior. :mad:

Seriously, Microsoft isn't spying on you with the Xbox One. No one is that interesting that they want to see what you're doing all the time.

I agree that Microsoft isn't spying on people. What would they gain information-wise? They'd figure out people like to play games in their underwear or less lol and eat cheetos and ****

its not microsoft spying its nsa.. microsoft just offers a way for them to be in your living room.

do i believe they are getting the data.. 200% yes.. they pay cell companies for info and you know they are in bed with microsoft who is a tec giant.
http://americankabuki.blogspot.com/2013/09/att-verizon-sprint-are-paid-cash-by-nsa.html

they have already used cable boxes and such
http://www.usanewsfirst.com/2013/08...-with-flame-spy-program/#sthash.20Rlts6x.dpbs

so yea i feel they do...

companies want the info if you are watching their commercials how long ect ect.

its not microsoft spying its nsa.. microsoft just offers a way for them to be in your living room.

do i believe they are getting the data.. 200% yes.. they pay cell companies for info and you know they are in bed with microsoft who is a tec giant.
http://americankabuki.blogspot.com/2013/09/att-verizon-sprint-are-paid-cash-by-nsa.html

they have already used cable boxes and such
http://www.usanewsfirst.com/2013/08...-with-flame-spy-program/#sthash.20Rlts6x.dpbs

so yea i feel they do...

companies want the info if you are watching their commercials how long ect ect.

But, the best way to avoid having this happen is to turn off Kinect.

J

To say that Microsoft's Kinect could plausibly "spy" on its users, setting aside the amount of manpower, money, and time such a feat demands to so much as record the action of every individual partaking, is as crass as suggesting that the manufacturers of your webcam have been spying on your every move for as long as you've had it. Even though some conspiracy theorists had their time of day with Edward Snowden's recent drama, where he revealed several government internet surveillance programs, I highly, highly, highly doubt that a corporation would be interested in spending more resources than they did on logging your every move, not to mention the amount they would irrefutably be sued for if they ever are found doing so.

The X1 isn't spying on anyone. That's the paranoid talking :p Now getting general info like how long you're using it, what ads and content you're watching, and all that...they're looking at that. Nothing significant.

The X1 isn't spying on anyone. That's the paranoid talking :p Now getting general info like how long you're using it, what ads and content you're watching, and all that...they're looking at that. Nothing significant.

Street Sharks! lol I loved that cartoon. I saw it on Netflix not too long ago.

It isn't to say that the Xbox One won't control the other devices in your house and form this...electronic golem with Blu-Ray players, blenders, and so on for limbs and the TV for a body and rampage with other Xbox One consoles in the neighborhood.

...it just isn't spying on anyone. It's still going to get you though.

I agree that Microsoft isn't spying on people. What would they gain information-wise? They'd figure out people like to play games in their underwear or less lol and eat cheetos and ****

I thought I was the only one with that gaming routine.

I don't think the worry was about Microsoft spying on you, simply that hackers could use the Kinect to spy online because it was always online. The fear has died down a lot after Microsoft has come out and made reassurances about changes to the Kinect and Xbox One to prevent that so I'm still not a fan of the Kinect but no they aren't spying on you. Unless you're a spy, then they are.

Street Sharks! lol I loved that cartoon. I saw it on Netflix not too long ago.

Loved Street Sharks, it was a fun series. The 90s was a time where it didn't take much to turn people into mutated powerhouses.

It isn't to say that the Xbox One won't control the other devices in your house and form this...electronic golem with Blu-Ray players, blenders, and so on for limbs and the TV for a body and rampage with other Xbox One consoles in the neighborhood.

...it just isn't spying on anyone. It's still going to get you though.

Well yeah, I knew it could do that. But that doesn't mean it's spying on anyone. That just means the X1 is a killing machine that hates humans.

First, Street Sharks is one of the best cartoons of the early 90's only surpassed by Biker Mice from Mars and Batman: The Animated series. They were pretty Jawsome. Also Microsoft isn't interested in watching you through the Kinect, and there are safeguards in place. But I would be nice to your Xbox One, I don't trust mine it has a bit of an attitude problem.

To say that Microsoft's Kinect could plausibly "spy" on its users, setting aside the amount of manpower, money, and time such a feat demands to so much as record the action of every individual partaking, is as crass as suggesting that the manufacturers of your webcam have been spying on your every move for as long as you've had it. Even though some conspiracy theorists had their time of day with Edward Snowden's recent drama, where he revealed several government internet surveillance programs, I highly, highly, highly doubt that a corporation would be interested in spending more resources than they did on logging your every move, not to mention the amount they would irrefutably be sued for if they ever are found doing so.

it takes 0 manpower/resources it could be key words that trigger a specific action. it can all be sent to a server/cloud and does not need to be stored unless something triggers it as a sensitive or something needing looking at.

again its not the manufacture of the product its the goverment/nsa that wants the info..

lets look at this from a recent point. the nyc biker gang stuff.. the days after the incident you seen street video's from severance camera over looking streets. we have seen cases in the past where a camera in a atm machine have helped to identify criminals.

look at the supreme court not willing to take on the nsa data case.. who are they going to put in jail or convict themselves?..
http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/18/5105360/epic-nsa-phone-tracking-case-at-supreme-court

I think that the Kinect definitely does have the technologic capabilities to record you however I don't think that Microsoft themselves are going to record you. If anything I was worried about hackers getting into the Kinect and that is still a minor concern for me. Nothing is 100% safe and all information especially one that uses a camera can be accessed. Look at what just happened with adobe, millions of people got their data stolen from their secure servers and we're only now finding out about it.

Well who am I to say that they aren't but it does seem like a far fetched conspiracy don't you think? I don't do anything interesting when I sit in front of my consoles, so they can spy on me all they want.

That's how I always felt about it. Unless you're moving a body around while waiting in the lobby or tending to a meth lab while a game is installing (something along those lines) there's nothing to worry about.

Back