Xbox One Xbox Users banned after swearing online

thecreed4life

Guys, watch out with the words you're using or you're banned.

It's been reported that Microsoft has been banning Xbox One users for swearing online. If you get banned, some features of Xbox Live will be disabled. This has been seen in game uploads and Skype.

BBC reports:

Files containing "excessive profanity" will be taken down and their owners will have access to some features on Xbox Live removed. Microsoft said all files uploaded to its Upload Studio were monitored for violations of its code of conduct.The review process was to help maintain a clean, safe and fun environment for all users, the company said. Direct peer-to-peer communications such as Skype chats and calls are not monitored by the Xbox Live enforcement team, according to Microsoft. "As a result, if someone misbehaves on the service, we may only suspend some of their privileges," said a Microsoft spokesperson.

"I question the validity of this, but the average gamer is 32. I don't mind hearing someone saying it. Free speech," said one member. Another thought some moderation was necessary: "Game uploads get sent to everyone. You see them when you browse a game etc. There has to be some control and moderation. Your private conversations are not censored or moderated. Only what you share with the public which includes little kids."

Looks like strictness is already being enforced, even in what you say. First, we had Twitch banning PS4 users because of the many crazy activities that's being done in streams, and now, Microsoft is banning XB1 users for profanity. My thoughts? Well, we'll have to be careful what we say. I know I hear some F-words being said when you play online and stuff but with Microsoft closely monitoring our activities, it's not going be safe when you're talking.

What do you make of this guys?

Source: BBC

Jesus christ I hope this isn't true. Many of us are adults and a little rough language is a horrible reason to ban someone.

I think its a smart move. You can't talk like that at work, in class at school if your still in school, in any public places so why should it be allowed in a public forum or public place online.

I am far from prudish, but last thing I would want is to have company over and go to look at clips or something and get berated by profanity.

The Article clearly states that it's banning people from uploaded videos and the things like that. If you don't want to get in trouble, make sure you aren't cursing more then a sailor in the 1920's, or spouting off racist remarks like there's no tomorrow. As for actual online play, and skype, that isn't monitored according to the advert you posted. Honestly, I'm all for this. I'm tired of ADULTS acting like children when they spout off their mouth because of internet anonymity, and I'm tired of little children using worse language then an adult.

I'm against the fundamental idea of censorship in every form. This is no exception. I mean, it won't directly affect me as I've never used a headset in my online gaming. However I think restricting people's language is an abuse of power and against most constitutions promoting free speech.

Guys, watch out with the words you're using or you're banned.

It's been reported that Microsoft has been banning Xbox One users for swearing online. If you get banned, some features of Xbox Live will be disabled. This has been seen in game uploads and Skype.

BBC reports:

Looks like strictness is already being enforced, even in what you say. First, we had Twitch banning PS4 users because of the many crazy activities that's being done in streams, and now, Microsoft is banning XB1 users for profanity. My thoughts? Well, we'll have to be careful what we say. I know I hear some F-words being said when you play online and stuff but with Microsoft closely monitoring our activities, it's not going be safe when you're talking.

What do you make of this guys?

I have seen this coming for awhile and I believe quite a few of my friends did too. I will admit that I do swear while playing xbox but I guess I will have to watch what I say from now on. With xboxs market expanding to children too I guess this is the right decision. For those of you saying this is censorship, I don't believe it is at all. Xbox has the right to control with is streamed through their services

Xbox has the right to control with is streamed through their services

This. While most people don't bother reading it, it's clearly stated in their ToS, among several other rules and guidelines. If you break them, they have free will to terminate/ban your account at any time.

This. While most people don't bother reading it, it's clearly stated in their ToS, among several other rules and guidelines. If you break them, they have free will to terminate/ban your account at any time.

Yet this thread will go on and on with people not reading this post lol.

Well, if they want me to not swear, they better fix the spawn points in games like COD. %$#@! :rolleyes:

I can't believe their banning people for cursing now lol. I can't count the amount of times someone has cused at me online, I mean it would be back and forth but it made the online play a little more interesting to me lol. Although I don't think such a new rule will be affecting me much.

Lol I think the ones that curse the most online are 12 yo kids, maybe they did it because of them.

Personally, I think it's a violation of free speech to start moderating adults in this manner. It's one thing to say that you can't cuss at work or in church, but you're not at work or in church. You're at home, on your own time, playing with a piece of equipment you paid good money for. If you want to cuss at it, as far as I'm concerned, you have every right to do so.

I'm against the fundamental idea of censorship in every form. This is no exception. I mean, it won't directly affect me as I've never used a headset in my online gaming. However I think restricting people's language is an abuse of power and against most constitutions promoting free speech.

I agree, well where is the freedom in that if they will restrict you from speaking how you feel. People sometimes swear because they are excited about what is going on in the game or sometimes because they got killed or can't beat something on it. I don't think this is a good move for the developers. How can you express yourself if you have so many restrictions even if you are at home.

I totally against this feature. I mean, how can you be yourself if you can't express yourself freely. Honestly guys, We bought the console what else do they need from us. This isn't a company where you can restrict people with rules. This is a game for crying out loud. Microsoft please fix this.

i am ok with it to a degree.. with uploaded video's and such... im 31 and my parents like to stop over and are interested in the new system. its not the people cursing in game.. its showing them cool clips or watching how things work that is a little over the top.. when i am in bf4 i expect it to a degree.. but if i am watching a general clip it get annoying,

i tend to not be bothered by in game chatter or really hear it. but what gets me is the kinect.. i dont need to hear a crying baby or 3rd person conversation in the background all the time.. and this is what i thought microsoft was working on background noise and dog barking and such.

I'm good with their feature on it, that way I can practice avoiding swearing so my mom can't hear me doing it. I hope that they don't restrict it too much. After all there are swear words that we normally use as expressions. Especially if we are frustrated (In my case on Call of Duty - Since I'm having quite a hard time getting through the 1st campaign)

If the games rated M for mature I believe u should be allowed to swear online as long as its not rasist or derogatorily to a individual or race of person. If they can swear in the game it makes no sense to ban someone from swearing online. I hope this doesn't contribute to M rated games!

Holy seriously? To me, swearing in games is COMPLETELY normal because it is a form of letting out anger. I agree that if someone just swears for "fun" then we should punish them but not BAN!

Honestly, Xbox should allow people to be able to see swear words or not see them because as I have said before, swearing is completely normal in games.

I am sitting "home" right now and posting this. I am an adult and have free speech.

So that means I can fill it with profanity and the moderators and board owner should not delete the post or ban me as I am at "home"?

I am just "expressing myself" and some are saying it's a "completely normal" form of expressing yourself
and some said I should not be moderated as I am an adult and it would be a violation of free speech.

Does anyone see how funny this sounds???? There has to be rules and guidelines to public
things or everyone would be running wild.

Is this really censorship? Is this really a bad thing? If these measures bring down the amount of immature conduct coming from all of the 12 year old COD players than maybe it's for the greater good. It's obvious that the Xbox community could use some maturity, especially in the more mainstream games, and if watching my cursing helps bring that change around than I say go for it!

Back