Xbox One Games With Gold to Become 'More True' To Gamers' Expectations

KN1GHTMARE

Former Moderator
From
NJ
Website
socialclub.rockstargames.com
According to both IGN and Polygon Phil Spencer has spoken on the record regarding the currently disappointing Games with Gold program.

"I have been sitting down, monthly now, with [the Games Gone Gold team]... and playing a more active role in picking franchises that show up in Games with Gold, and I think you'll see at least something that feels, at least, more true to what I think Games with Gold should look like with the constraints that are there," he said.

He addressed frequent comparisons to Sony's PlayStation Plus program, which offers a larger amount of free titles, many of which are comparatively more recent than those offered by Xbox.

"One of our... differences between the other system we get compared to, is the fact that with Games with Gold, you get to keep that game, regardless of whether you continue to subscribe," Spencer said. "I think there's some steps and some evolution of what Games with Gold or any of the other systems will go through to their full potential."

via IGN

Well time will tell what changes are inbound and if any are finally coming to the Xbox One. I've been enjoying the perks of being a Playstation Plus member, but have nothing to show for having Gold on my Xbox One. Even the 360 offerings are so dated that I already own them all or at least have played them extensively. Either way lets hopes the changes are exactly what we expect and want. What are you thoughts on Games with Gold and the potential for it to evolve?

I grab the games when I remember to, but honestly, it's not a must to get the games every two weeks. I think right now it's a gimmick to keep Xbox Gold along the same lines as PS+, but he does have a good point as far as owning the games. Honestly though? I'd rather prefer to have the games as long as I was a Gold member and have them be better, newer titles versus owning them outright even if I went back to silver. The games are either small arcade titles that aren't typically great or great games that came out 5 years ago that I've played and beat 5 years ago...

I grab the games when I remember to, but honestly, it's not a must to get the games every two weeks. I think right now it's a gimmick to keep Xbox Gold along the same lines as PS+, but he does have a good point as far as owning the games. Honestly though? I'd rather prefer to have the games as long as I was a Gold member and have them be better, newer titles versus owning them outright even if I went back to silver. The games are either small arcade titles that aren't typically great or great games that came out 5 years ago that I've played and beat 5 years ago...

Agreed. If the games were any good they wouldn't need to worry about people stopping gym their gold subscription because it would be worth it. No one care that you can't keep the games with PS+ because they give you every reason to keep subscribing

i stoped downloading gwg on my 360 right at the time xb1 came out.

he does have a good and valid point about the ability to keep the game if gold is not renewed...

i still look at xb1 as a very very new product... its not carrying anything over from the 360 and is not backwards compatible. would i be ok with a "free"game sure... i dont expect one tho till 1 yr into the life cycle of the xb1 tho. ive said it before and will again.. they had a good lineup out the gate.. but we have not seen anything in 6 months... we are litterly getting our first push of bigger title games(titanfall) tommorow. other than that.. power star golf,max brottherhood are really the only 2 viable options of new and giveaway games. both of which are on the brink of diskable sales like plants vs zombies in price.

what i could see as a option for microsoft is a bi monthly give away in the first 2 years.. where we might get a game like brotherhood,zoo tycoon,plants vs zombies,maybe even titanfall/cod late next year. this would do 2 things.. allow the market to have free games like ps... and also get people into new franchises or renew life in an otherwise played out game..

even now we havn't really herd of 3rd party games comming on a smaller scale.. those 20-30 dollar games like brotherhood,rayman legends,killer instinct.. the market has been very very quiet.. and i know microsoft is banking on titanfall to get luster back in the brand and "save sales" i personally am not sold nor see it as a great strategy on microsoft part. sure it has the luster/hype now but give it 4-6 months and its another cod/bf4 game.. people will get burned out and the sales will start to crawl..

i stoped downloading gwg on my 360 right at the time xb1 came out.

he does have a good and valid point about the ability to keep the game if gold is not renewed...

i still look at xb1 as a very very new product... its not carrying anything over from the 360 and is not backwards compatible. would i be ok with a "free"game sure... i dont expect one tho till 1 yr into the life cycle of the xb1 tho. ive said it before and will again.. they had a good lineup out the gate.. but we have not seen anything in 6 months... we are litterly getting our first push of bigger title games(titanfall) tommorow. other than that.. power star golf,max brottherhood are really the only 2 viable options of new and giveaway games. both of which are on the brink of diskable sales like plants vs zombies in price.

what i could see as a option for microsoft is a bi monthly give away in the first 2 years.. where we might get a game like brotherhood,zoo tycoon,plants vs zombies,maybe even titanfall/cod late next year. this would do 2 things.. allow the market to have free games like ps... and also get people into new franchises or renew life in an otherwise played out game..

even now we havn't really herd of 3rd party games comming on a smaller scale.. those 20-30 dollar games like brotherhood,rayman legends,killer instinct.. the market has been very very quiet.. and i know microsoft is banking on titanfall to get luster back in the brand and "save sales" i personally am not sold nor see it as a great strategy on microsoft part. sure it has the luster/hype now but give it 4-6 months and its another cod/bf4 game.. people will get burned out and the sales will start to crawl..

Well there's also lococycle, peggle, and at some point Strider for potential free games

I get that you can keep the games, but if the games are dated and something I've played somewhere else, what's the point? MSFT has to up their game with the GWG. not much of a point to "keep" the game if the game is as dated. PS+, on the other hand, is renting but the games are recent and compelling. Plus, they're spread across multiple platforms so somehow, PS+ has got a notch above GWG. I'm all for renting than keeping.

Gotta agree with KN1GHTMARE, jstep and spark_777. PS+ really has something over MSFT. Owning is fine but I'm not sure if I like owning Dead Island since I already own it on PC. If MSFT can get deals like PS+, then there's something to look forward with. And don't try telling me Sleeping Dogs is cool; I got it already on PS+ a long time ago.

After using the PS+ since November 2012, I can tell you this: I find it worth paying a $50 year to "rent" these games. I may not be able to keep the games but still, for $50 a year, I get to play over 50-60 games spread across multiple PS platforms. There's over thousands of hours to play with these games, there's replayability, there's choices... I believe PS+ is worth the price. GWG, no offense, but the games it offers are some that I own already on other platforms. Anyway, I see it as I like buying a new game every year. THAT keeps me subscribing and that's why I'll be paying again for another year of PS+ this coming June, when my subscription expires.

But hey, I'm hoping that GWG gets its due and shows everybody they're what they're expected to be for the Xbox fans. Hope it happens.

"One of our... differences between the other system we get compared to, is the fact that with Games with Gold, you get to keep that game, regardless of whether you continue to subscribe," Spencer said. "I think there's some steps and some evolution of what Games with Gold or any of the other systems will go through to their full potential."

That's the one thing MSFT has over PS+. But that's it. Everything else, like the games, is where PS+ succeeds. I gotta agree with thedoodseven and everybody else: PS+ has got a notch over GWG. Nobody minds about "renting" the games 'cuz hey, the selection are newer and recent selections that entice you to play for hours and c'mon, who doesn't like paying $50 a year to rent out over 50-60 games every year spread across PS3, PS4 and Vita? That's worth the price, as thedoodseven said. But yeah, as he says too, I hope GWG can up its ante and compete.

That's the one thing MSFT has over PS+. But that's it. Everything else, like the games, is where PS+ succeeds. I gotta agree with thedoodseven and everybody else: PS+ has got a notch over GWG. Nobody minds about "renting" the games 'cuz hey, the selection are newer and recent selections that entice you to play for hours and c'mon, who doesn't like paying $50 a year to rent out over 50-60 games every year spread across PS3, PS4 and Vita? That's worth the price, as thedoodseven said. But yeah, as he says too, I hope GWG can up its ante and compete.

Yeah, that's really something that I want to have on Xbox One as well. Sony has been on it for a while and they have great games to choose from on GWG.

Yeah, that's really something that I want to have on Xbox One as well. Sony has been on it for a while and they have great games to choose from on GWG.

See? So Spencer, if you're seeing this, give the fans here what they want and maybe keeping the games is worth it. But until then, consider me renting out more games from Sony.

After using the PS+ since November 2012, I can tell you this: I find it worth paying a $50 year to "rent" these games. I may not be able to keep the games but still, for $50 a year, I get to play over 50-60 games spread across multiple PS platforms. There's over thousands of hours to play with these games, there's replayability, there's choices... I believe PS+ is worth the price. GWG, no offense, but the games it offers are some that I own already on other platforms. Anyway, I see it as I like buying a new game every year. THAT keeps me subscribing and that's why I'll be paying again for another year of PS+ this coming June, when my subscription expires.

But hey, I'm hoping that GWG gets its due and shows everybody they're what they're expected to be for the Xbox fans. Hope it happens.

Now that's how it's done. Yup, I must agree with you on all parts. And even so, you still hope for the best in the Xbox. You're quite the kind guy, you know. You play the PS3 and Vita, you don't have the Xbox 360 or Xbox One and yet you want the fans here in these forums to have something that Sony gives their fans. Awwwww... that makes me happy :)

Now that's how it's done. Yup, I must agree with you on all parts. And even so, you still hope for the best in the Xbox. You're quite the kind guy, you know. You play the PS3 and Vita, you don't have the Xbox 360 or Xbox One and yet you want the fans here in these forums to have something that Sony gives their fans. Awwwww... that makes me happy :)

I'm not an Xbox hater. I used to be but you know, after seeing the games, the features, the other stuff... I'd like the fans here to have what Sony gives us fans. It may not yet have what Sony has provided for years but I know MSFT can do their best to let gamers know they care. So why bash on you guys? You guys are cool. So I hope for the best that MSFT can provide better for all of you.

Spencer!! Can you hear us. We need more games.

I'm not an Xbox hater. I used to be but you know, after seeing the games, the features, the other stuff... I'd like the fans here to have what Sony gives us fans. It may not yet have what Sony has provided for years but I know MSFT can do their best to let gamers know they care. So why bash on you guys? You guys are cool. So I hope for the best that MSFT can provide better for all of you.

Awwww. Give this guy a hug! Hahaha. You said good stuff man. Yeah, Spencer! Give these guys more games! Owning doesn't mean good if it's just few games VS. Renting means good when you have a LOT of games to play.

Awwww. Give this guy a hug! Hahaha. You said good stuff man. Yeah, Spencer! Give these guys more games! Owning doesn't mean good if it's just few games VS. Renting means good when you have a LOT of games to play.

Hell yeah! Spencer's got to know the difference between owning and the renting, and you just pointed it out man.

I agree. He did made quite a point. Haha. Spencer listen well.

Spencer is aware that the titles offered are falling short in comparison and just put out the "But you actually own them." To make GWG more appealing than it actually is. I do feel they'll pick it up and evolve, but that promotional part (GWG) will always be looked at as behind PS+ since Sony has been doing it for awhile now. You know in a "Why didn't they do that in the first place?" or "PS+ beat them to it, but good for you" sense.

Spencer is aware that the titles offered are falling short in comparison and just put out the "But you actually own them." To make GWG more appealing than it actually is. I do feel they'll pick it up and evolve, but that promotional part (GWG) will always be looked at as behind PS+ since Sony has been doing it for awhile now. You know in a "Why didn't they do that in the first place?" or "PS+ beat them to it, but good for you" sense.

While true, it's just good that someone of note within the Xbox wing is acknowledging that while it's good that GWG exists, it's not really delivering. The whole "you get to keep your games thing" garners a "So what?" response from me. Some of the games offered I could get for cheap off eBay and Amazon without having Gold. Some of the games offered I already have/have played.

Got to have a better "You know what though" than that.

While true, it's just good that someone of note within the Xbox wing is acknowledging that while it's good that GWG exists, it's not really delivering. The whole "you get to keep your games thing" garners a "So what?" response from me. Some of the games offered I could get for cheap off eBay and Amazon without having Gold. Some of the games offered I already have/have played.

Got to have a better "You know what though" than that.

Yeah I agree. Well I hope we can hear from him.

Back