Xbox One Amazon Acquires Killer Instinct Developer

KN1GHTMARE

Former Moderator
From
NJ
Website
socialclub.rockstargames.com
Double Helix Games, developer of Killer Instinct, has reportedly been acquired by Amazon, according to TechCrunch. Though the financial terms were not disclosed, the report claims the acquisition was for both intellectual property and talent, of which there are 75 employees. The information was reportedly made public through an invitation to a joint recruiting event between the two companies scheduled for next week in Los Angeles.

The deal would strongly reinforce rumors Amazon is intending to release its own Android-based game console, though the company already has its own game studio. Amazon Games Studio has thus far developed Air Patriots, a tower defense title for iOS and Android devices. According to the report Amazon has stated, "Double Helix’s current lineup of games and other future developments will be supported, following the acquisition."

Source: IGN

Well this is certainly interesting news, but what will it mean for the future of Double Helix games on Xbox One? Granted the article says the current lineup of games in development will be completed, how about beyond that? I personally don't think the market needs another android based console, nor do I think there's room for one; then again I'm sure Amazon knows what they're doing far better than I do. This is definitely and intriguing move and it would be interesting to see if MSFT or Sony attempt to partner with Amazon for exclusives. What do you guys think about the news? Sound off in the comments!

Amazon already has their own lineup of TV shows, and then they team up with Sony to host their own PSN store. Now they acquire Double Helix? I wonder... will they have them make their own gaming service ala Gamefly? Or even their own games? We'll see.

I wasn't a big fan of what Killer Instinct offered. What other games has this company put out? Can we expect big things from Amazon-published games that come from Double Helix?

Amazon already has their own lineup of TV shows, and then they team up with Sony to host their own PSN store. Now they acquire Double Helix? I wonder... will they have them make their own gaming service ala Gamefly? Or even their own games? We'll see.

I hope so, I mean Killer Instinct wasn't that good when it came out. I hope they can make some changes.

I've heard rumors that Amazon's going to release their own Android based console soon so I think that's why they are acquiring Double Helix. Having a game developer onboard certainly helps in the console's architecture if the rumor is true. What I'm more concerned about is that, will Double Helix release anymore games on the Xbox?

I want to see an Amazon gaming console. However, the console war might become a war of too many factions, such that there would come another gaming crash! How ridiculous would that be?

Hmmmm... interesting. We'll see what Amazon will do with Double Helix. We can't say what their plan is but who knows? New console, new game, new service... anything is possible.

I want to see an Amazon gaming console. However, the console war might become a war of too many factions, such that there would come another gaming crash! How ridiculous would that be?

I think it's supposed to be an Android console, so I don't know about a crash.

I've heard rumors that Amazon's going to release their own Android based console soon so I think that's why they are acquiring Double Helix. Having a game developer onboard certainly helps in the console's architecture if the rumor is true. What I'm more concerned about is that, will Double Helix release anymore games on the Xbox?

I've heard that too. Even though Amazon is really big, I'm kinda skeptical about any new comers in the console field. It seems like Sony, MS, and Nintendo have that on lock down for now.

Well an Android based console wouldn't be directly competing with the Big 3. it would compete against things like Ouya.

That's true. Ouya is on a different market. Well, we'll see what they got planned in the next few months. But interesting move by Amazon. I just wonder what they'll do with a game developer.

Double Helix were just some unknown crap developer but now everybody wants them or something, weird. Guess KI and Strider revivals are THAT good!

Double Helix were just some unknown crap developer but now everybody wants them or something, weird. Guess KI and Strider revivals are THAT good!

Haha. yeah, got to agree with this. They didn't actually made it to the limelight that easily.I hope they do better this time.

They will develop some cool games hopefully because amazon acquired them.

In the case of KI I think it was more of two cruddy studios making one competent studio.

That sounds about right when it comes to Double Helix and Rare. I think Double Helix could do better on its own than Rare.

That sounds about right when it comes to Double Helix and Rare. I think Double Helix could do better on its own than Rare.

I agree. Double Helix can hold their end of the bargain better.

I can see Double Helix delivering the goods for Amazon's box. There's only so much of a complex game you're going to get with an Android base.

I can see Double Helix delivering the goods for Amazon's box. There's only so much of a complex game you're going to get with an Android base.

Now that they have Double Helix, amazon is sure to have more money.

Back