Xbox One Analyst: Xbox One to Cost $399

PB7

Former Administrator
xbox-one-price.jpg

Turns out Michael Pachter video game analyst is predicting the Xbox One to cost around $399 based on the cost of materials for its specifications released. He has also tagged the PlayStatoin 4 at $349. Going to be interesting to see how close they are to real price.

Pachter believes Microsoft, Sony, and their various partners will likely offer some subsidies to offset the cost of the consoles. Given that the Xbox One includes the ability to watch live television, cable and satellite television operators might offer discounted boxes in exchange for multiyear contracts. Similarly, given that the Xbox One depends in large measure on being connected to the Web, Internet service providers could offer a subsidy as well. And Microsoft could offer discounts for gamers who purchase long-term commitments for its Xbox Live Gold service.

Via: Cnet

I'd be kind of surprised if the PS4 ends up being cheaper, aren't the specs not even entirely known yet? I pretty much expect both of them to be around the 399 price point. If anything, I think the Xbox One might sport the $349 price tag if they bundle in Xbox Live for 2 years or something. I'm totally guessing, but then again so is the guy in the article, haha.

*edit: well done fixing the title :)

i've updated the title, should be clearer now.

Interesting to see that the PS4 has been estimated at lower price, just more reasons to get a PS4! actually the Xbox price is surprisingly a bit better than I expected.

Working better than a launch 360 is what they should aim for.
I guess that PS4 managed to lower it's price even lower, but will it be better than the Xbox One?

Seems like a decent price nonetheless. I still might wait for the price to drop. Not many favorable features on the consoles that particularly want to make me want to buy it. The two prices are pretty similar, so I don't really know which console is going to be more favorable. I am a bit surprised that the PS4 is thought to be less than the Xbox One though. Figures though, since the Xbox had more features, but I don't know if it's worth the price.

One thing that's kind of odd, isn't it almost common knowledge the system will release in November? I can't really imagine they'd release in November then immediately have a $50 price reduction for "the holidays" in December, a mere one month later. A November release date is probably considered "for the holidays" in and of itself. I suppose they could bundle a game with it or something though. Does anyone think the Xbox One will actually release earlier than November?

Also, maybe I'm biased by the 360 and PS3 releases, but I just can't imagine PS4 being the cheaper one.

Seems about right to me. Wasn't that the price of the 360 on launch?

I read an interesting post that said if Microsoft released it for 199$ and made up for the lost $$$ on Xbox Live subscription fees they would absolutely dominate the market share. Whatever the price is going to be though I'm sure the Xbox One will end up being the cheaper alternative to PS4, in part due to the ridiculous cash cow that is Xbox Live.

I was expecting the price to be more so I'm glad it's a bit lower. I have heard rumours though that the PS4 will be cheaper but we don't have any specs
on that console yet, hell we haven't even seen the console yet. I'm hoping the Xbox will stay at this price or maybe be a bit lower/bit higher if with a
bundle such as Xbox Live or something.

Very interesting to see the PS4 at a lower price in the eyes of this analyst. I imagined that the prices would be identical for the base models and then both systems would have premium or advanced versions with higher prices. It's crazy to think that way back when the PS3 came out it debuted for $499 (20 GB) and $599 (60 GB). Here we are some 7-8 years later and the new systems are slated to cost less. Kind of remarkable, really.

I hope this is so because I've seen around the net that they were charging $500 for a new Xbox One which in my opinion would completely ruin Microsoft because I don't think Sony would dare charge that much right out of the gate. $399 is good and I really don't want to see the prices rise because that could turn away potential gamers.

Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo all sell their consoles for a loss, only because they will make their money on games, subscriptions and accessories that are purchased down the road. That being said, I think $399 is a pretty fair estimate. Microsoft is in trouble because many people who have lived with the 360 are now turned off with how they talk about the Xbox One. Those who just want to play video games are leaning towards the PS4. E3 should shed some more light on what the price might be.

Seems about right to me. Wasn't that the price of the 360 on launch?

I read an interesting post that said if Microsoft released it for 199$ and made up for the lost $$$ on Xbox Live subscription fees they would absolutely dominate the market share. Whatever the price is going to be though I'm sure the Xbox One will end up being the cheaper alternative to PS4, in part due to the ridiculous cash cow that is Xbox Live.

Now that I believe Microsoft will not release a completely new XBox model, they the price should be lower as you suggested. Anyway, it always beats me why a firm would sell their products at such expensive prices yet the market is this competitive... Let's wait and see what transpires on the price wars.

Microsoft has the console at a low price. While charging you excessively for their other services. Truth be told, MS could sell the Xbox for $100 and still make a great profit of XBL and ads.

Back