Are gamers becoming even less social than they already are?

Dorotheo

From
California
I was in my communications class earlier today and we had a pretty good debate about social anxiety, introversion, and just a decline in daily positivity.
So I was thinking being slightly extroverted and normally a pretty loud person on xbox live, I've noticed a huge decline of people using a mic or just talking on XBL. I mean i'm also glad that people aren't swearing a storm as much as before, but I also just enjoyed when random stupid conversations would arise. It just made xbox live feel very humanistic!

Oh and I have real life friends (I think), I was just wondering if you guys feel the same way :p

I guess a lot of people want to play games to relax and chill out, a lot of people as well take games seriously for whatever reason and obviously would be focusing. There isn't anything wrong with introversion by the way, you can hardly compare it to a "decline in daily positivity".

If anything, they're much more social compared to 10-15 years ago.

I thought people are more talkative these days because of gaming. You don't have to see the person so you don't have to be afraid of repercussions, that's why there are so many trash talkers that wouldn't shut up. Also, a lot of people I know made a lot friends online and they always meet up to chat about games. Even if it's true, there is nothing wrong in being and introvert actually, these people just prefer to be alone that's all.

Yeah, I agree. Well the fact is people are becoming more open to the world of gaming that they always express their thoughts and expressions. Just like us here. :)

Yeah, I agree. Well the fact is people are becoming more open to the world of gaming that they always express their thoughts and expressions. Just like us here.

Well yeah, there are more people who are more engaging especially when the want to express their thoughts these days, whether it may be out of frustration or happiness.

I'll only speak for myself here, but essentially when I game online I treat it as if I'm gaming offline. I don't speak and I tend to mute other players. It sounds really unsociable but for me gaming is a way to relax and not have to think and respond to people etc. I'm sure there are lots of people who enjoy the social aspect but it doesn't really appeal to me.

In some ways, I think I think it's the opposite. The trend in gaming these days is to play with other people. Back in the day, there were a lot of single player games like mario 64 but these days, most games are focuses on the multiplayer element: just look at titanfall. This is encouraging more people to play with their friends talking over skype and the like.

Gaming is more accepted now and most games come with multiplayer so I think gamers are becoming more social now.

I have a tendency to be much quieter on xbox live whenever I play, it has never been a necessity for me to communicate with other people.

i am going to say not really.. what most fail to realize is the part chatt stuff.. you cnat hear what they are saying.. and with games like bf4,cod,titanfall i would think the reason you are not hearing allot of chatt would be that or twitch.

if anything on xb1 with kinect you have the potential of hearing more.. allot of people seem to forget a pic/camera is in the room.

dont forget twitch tv ect ect.. so many avenues that chatt is taken away from game but stretched further across the board.

I do not think that gamers have less of a social life. Most of the time, I game with my friends. For me, gaming is just a pass time. I hang out with friends and do other stuff as well.

Gaming is more accepted now and most games come with multiplayer so I think gamers are becoming more social now.

Pretty much this. Ten, fifteen years ago, gaming was the nerdy, geeky thing to do. Nowadays everyone and their mother is a gamer of some sort. Remember, no matter how much you may not like it, things like Farmville or Mafia Wars do count as video games, so if anything, simply by virtue of numbers, people who play games are more social than they have ever been.

Its kind of hard to say when you don't really have an accurate way of sampling the players. The online multi player games do bring a level of sociability to them, personally I don't play the internet games hardly at all and when I do I just play and don't chat.

I think they are less social, based on personal experience. I can remember when I used to get on xbox live and there would always be lots of people talking, trash talking, and making general comments about what was going on in the game. Now I almost never get into a room where people are talking about anything at all. But they do still send the dreaded hate texts after suffering a particularly brutal beatdown, especially in any kind of fighting game.

When a gamer is new to the game he starts out being social but as he progresses through the levels a competitive spirit takes over and he becomes less social. Besides, there different types of players and it depends upon the type of game as well. For me, games are a way to relax myself and enjoy!

It is such an inexact science to even try and determine it. I think that if you go by age groups you would see something but to do an assessment on the whole then it would be tricky.

I don't really like to use my mic on Live because of the toxicity. I don't mind doing it on most PC games though, as long as it isn't TF2 or GMOD, the community for PC games are great.

I think gaming can make a person more social if anything. I know I like to play video games with my friends all the time, that in itself is social interaction. I guess that video games can make a person antisocial if they're just cooped up inside their house all the time playing on their Xbox 360 all by themselves.

Back