Original Xbox Did you think Xbox would get this far?

Who could have imagined that Xbox will be going toe to toe with Sony one day. Just look at how good their 360 did, bit things are not looking good for Xbox One. They are really legging behind.

To be honest I wasn't that much into consoles back then so I thought Xbox was freaking amazing. That's why I got it.

I had a choice between PS2 and Xbox and I got an Xbox. Although I was really disappointed when one year later 360 came out and all support for it died.

But yea when I got into consoles 360 was already getting hyped up so it was not surprising to me that they would become this big.

Well, no. To be honest, I didn't really think Microsoft and gaming would go well in the same sentence (or if they cared at all for that matter).
But then the Xbox came out of nowhere with Halo: Combat Evolved and stunned pretty much everybody. So good on Microsoft (and Xbox)
for making it this far.

I think that was the initial reaction from most people. Add on that a lot of folks were still leery of the monopoly scandal just dealt with and it didn't really look all that promising. That said Halo was a life-saver for them. They need something like it for the Xbone.

Well, I haven#t thought about it back then but maybe I wasn't sure how far the Xbox would get.

Sega is still alive and kicking, they just gave up the console market because of a few decisions that didn't work out for them. The Xbox though, is absolutely awesome. It manages to remain awesome and the console franchise of choice for a lot of people in the west. Go a bit farther east, though, and it starts to be less popular to the point of few people wanting one. The Playstation franchise and Nintendo are the big deals of gaming while Xbox fans are a minority and considered to be perverted molesters.. or were.

I never doubted them. It's amazing to see how much the Xbox has progressed and improved. Ever since the Xbox, Xbox 360, and now the Xbox One there's always room for improvement. I hope that it will keep chugging forward.

When xbox first came out I did doubt that it would be able to compete with sony and nintendo Funny how it ended up blowing nintendo right out of the water. I didn't think it would succeed so much so quickly. That was the most surprising part. I guess it helps to have the billions that Microsoft has. In my opinion, Dreamcast was a fantastic console that should have been as successful as the original xbox but never got the fan support that xbox got.

They've come a long way from one of the clunkiest controller designs of all time. At first I was hesitant to believe that it could succeed, in part because of the controller. It turns out you could force gamers to play with bananas and they'd do it if the games were good enough.

I was pretty young when it came out and when i played it but i always knew there was something special about it. Even when the Xbox Original wasnt popular, it still felt like an icon of gaming like it does today. It also was lucky enough to have some great games to start out with it like Halo and Jet Set Radio Future (or at least that was a big one for me :p ) The games that came out on it were always unique and played well and back when it came out, i doubt graphics were peoples top priority so it didnt matter a ton of what parts the console was made of as long as it ran the games smoothly and had fun exclusives and games.

I agree with you. I thought the Xbox would be a hit and miss type of thing. I didn't even own one of the original ones. I had the PS and PS2 that I played with all of the time. Now I have converted to the Xbox 360 and will be getting the Xbox One over the PS4 in November. It is funny how these things turn out.

Was it ever really in doubt? With the huge Microsoft machinery behind it and with an intent of direct competition with the big boys already established, XBox just had to be a plan for the long haul. Any doubts people had were dispelled soon enough when the console itself turned out to be quite good. So, yeah its success doesn't surprise me.

I did. I really enjoyed the original Xbox even though I didn't actually own it. Microsoft has had their issues, but every company did. I'm shocked they got this big, but not because it was Microsoft.
I thought a different company would jump in and beat them out at some point. I love Microsoft, all their mistakes aside. I've never been an Apple fan though and I'm not saying Microsoft is the absolute best.
I do think Microsoft will get bigger, though, and continue to grow.

Yes I actually thought the Xbox would get this far. I have always been a die hard Xbox fan, actually I've been a die hard Microsoft fan. I think Xbox will go further than Playstation in the future. I don't necessarily think it will happen this year. Playstation is just more prestigious than Microsoft.

I certainly never saw this coming. I'm not saying that the Xbox was a bad console. I'm more so just thinking about how big of forces Nintendo and Sega were at that time. I mean Sega failed to keep up and eventually left the console business entirely.

Xbox has really proven that they are a forced to be reckoned with. At least in the US. Microsoft still hasn't gained a foothold in Japan yet. I guess they aren't that receptive to an American gaming company.

I certainly never saw this coming. I'm not saying that the Xbox was a bad console. I'm more so just thinking about how big of forces Nintendo and Sega were at that time. I mean Sega failed to keep up and eventually left the console business entirely.

Xbox has really proven that they are a forced to be reckoned with. At least in the US. Microsoft still hasn't gained a foothold in Japan yet. I guess they aren't that receptive to an American gaming company.

Perhaps it's deeper than just having a foothold in Japan. I read an article before that said that Microsoft had weeks where they would sell 250 games (for Xbox 360) in Japan. The main problem why Microsoft isn't doing so hot in Japan is due to the lack of successful games on Microsoft's format in Japan. We cannot really jump to conclusions and say, "Ooooh!! Xbox format is a failure in Japan!" but there is much more than just that, you know? :)

They've come a long way from one of the clunkiest controller designs of all time. At first I was hesitant to believe that it could succeed, in part because of the controller. It turns out you could force gamers to play with bananas and they'd do it if the games were good enough.
Yes. I honestly did not like that controller at all. It was way too bulky for me. I loved the console's game collection but the controller took some of the fun out of playing those games. I can't imagine myself using the new Nintendo Wii U controller that has the screen in the middle. I think that's how it is set up. It's way too large. I don't know what they were thinking with that design.

I do remember when the Xbox was first released and I didn't think it would get this far. To be honest I was not a fan of the Xbox when it first came out but now I can't live without one and I think everyone is surprised about how far it has come.

Back