Original Xbox Did you think Xbox would get this far?

Esperahol

I remember when the original Xbox dropped and most folks though it'd be a flash in the pan. "Microsoft can't possibly make a great console", it was said. "They barely make decent computers and Windows totally sucks and I like Apple better. Apple really cares about the consumer unlike Bill Gate's monster." Yes, yes... it was a different time.. one that is hilarious in hindsight. So anyway did you think we'd get as far as the 360 never mind the Xbone? Did you think the Xbox would get so big as to be almost synonymous with the world of gaming? That is would outlast an "old man" like Sega? I didn't - I mean I bought one, but I also bought a Dreamcast and a Saturn and a virtual boy add-on... I have a problem when it comes to gaming is what I'm saying. So what were your thoughts?

If I were to hazard a guess, I would say that their ability to market coupled with high marketing budgets were vital to the success of the original Xbox. I never thought Windows was particularly bad as an operating system, to be honest with you. Those opinions were the opinions of bandwagons in days of computer brand wars much akin to the console wars we have today. Unlike some console companies, Microsoft also had major experience in manufacturing, analyzing, and assembling hardware, something most companies back then were at a disadvantage for, since these types of machines were still relatively new. So, they were able to grant a better player experience graphically with excellent developers tagging along over the years. I suppose people couldn't help but talk about the Xbox and grow to love it. Nowadays, they are too indulgent in the hype that everyone is getting sick and tired of. I'm not surprised the brand had gotten this far, though.

You were rather a bit more hopefully about it then I was. I will freely admit that the Xbox was interesting, but nothing I was particularly invested in. As far as that goes the PS/PS2 were where my attention were really at. And honestly it wasn't until the 360 that I really turned my focus toward Microsoft's work.

I didn't hate Microsoft so that wasn't an issue for me, but I just didn't feel they had the grounding needed to really succeed. And I freely admit I was wrong... RRODs and Xbone contentions aside.

A few year's ago when I had my very first Xbox, the Xbox origional, I had no idea that Xbox would come this far. I really thought that there would have just be one Xbox, and I never imagined that some day there would be a Xbox 360 and after that an Xbox One! Gaming has came very far since the 1980's, and the console's just keep getting better and better.

The Xbox was unprecedented, but I generally had faith in Microsoft. I didn't know much about the video game industry back then, though. I actually really disliked the Xbox when it first came out, mostly because of the competition with the Gamecube (which I loved). But once my friend got one, something switched in my brain and I absolutely had to get one.

With the first Xbox no, I didn't think it would last long but Microsoft was smart with their release of the Xbox 360, with it's early release date and it's price to match the PS3. So, now I'm not surprised the Xbox has made it this far. Although it seems like Microsoft almost screwed things up with the Xbox One. Luckily though, they changed their mind on the consoles early policies, however the price is still an issue for some.

I knew that Xbox would be able to achieve great things. Why? Because it's owned by Microsoft, that's why. It was backed up by a multi-billion dollar company. How could it ever possibly go wrong? They have all the resources in the world. More than Sony or Nintendo will ever have.

I knew that Xbox would be able to achieve great things. Why? Because it's owned by Microsoft, that's why. It was backed up by a multi-billion dollar company. How could it ever possibly go wrong? They have all the resources in the world. More than Sony or Nintendo will ever have.

pretty much agree. they have the recorces to product place and dump money in develpers laps to get things early or exclusives which they did with 360. i still have my xbox, xbox360, dreamcast,ps2 ps1. blah i need to unload all those things. i never play them and they are taking up closet space.

I did. I have always been a fan of the Xbox systems. I have always enjoyed the graphics and the collection of games. The features have also been top notch. I think Microsoft has done a nice job of building up this series.

Honestly, I really thought it would drift away like so many systems before it. Seriously though, Xbox has definitely proven it is here to stay for quite awhile. I actually look forward to how they try to top themselves next.

Well, most of the original Xbox games had a PC release, but there were a few exclusives that manage to push the console forward, so i don't see why they can't keep going. All they have to do is not break things up like they did with the Dreamcast and it will be all right!

The Xbox kind of seemed like a quick fling. I only thought of Nintendo and Sony as the real gaming console. When the Xbox was released I'd look at Xbox users and laugh as I played my PS2 now here I am a proud owner of a 360 and now in the preorder stages of the Xbox One. I'm glad they made it. Sony was getting too powerful, would be nice for Sega to come back too. Competition is good, but the number of exclusives would damage the community...

I don't enjoy the fact that consoles have their exclusions. It makes you want to go ahead and buy both consoles, but who has the money for that? Who knows which console will be better because I know some PS people who have switched to xbox and some xbox people who have switched to PS.

Microsoft is an awesome company and I have a lot of products from them. I have always thought the company was top notch with their products. They have always come through for me.

I don't know if they will be able to keep going after the sales for the xbox one..

PS4 has sold out on gamespot where as xbox has hardly even sold half of there products not good at all.

It's interesting to see the range of opinions on here. Some are like me and thought Microsoft was just throwing good money after the bad... even as they bought one. Some always had faith. And some just didn't care enough then or now. Awesome.

Well, no. To be honest, I didn't really think Microsoft and gaming would go well in the same sentence (or if they cared at all for that matter).
But then the Xbox came out of nowhere with Halo: Combat Evolved and stunned pretty much everybody. So good on Microsoft (and Xbox)
for making it this far.

It got farther than their attempt with Bing, good on Microsoft. Google has to try something new to try to get people to use G+, cause everything they're doing is failing.

I really didnt think it would last. I think someone summed it up well when they said they thought it would be a quick fling.

I was fairly young at the start of the sixth console generation, and the decisions I made concerning gaming were largely based on what I was familiar with. The Xbox was the console I had the least interest in at first, but once I played Halo CE, I knew it would be a competent machine. Also, while Microsoft has had shoddy business practices, they do have an advantage being such a massive corporation.

Back