Do you feel Live should be free and included with the purchase of an XBOX?

A0130

Since so many games depend on Live to be fun, do you think that it should just be included? I feel the price for Live is worth it for some gamers, such as those who play Call of Duty or other games intended to be multiplayer. For these people, should Live be included it would certainly be a positive. What do you think?

I do, especially since you need it to even simply use Netflix, but I honestly don't see that changing. We could always hope, but it's doubtful.

I don't have Xbox live about half the time. On ocassion we find the ten day trials in video game cases and are like score!

I don't mind paying for Live. My 360 has always been better for multiplayer gaming than the PS3 so just for that reason really. Knowing I won't be disconnecting all the time, is a good enough reason to pay.

It's going to be more worth it with the XBO I think though, with the dedicated servers and such especially since next gen seems to be having more online features in the games.

They have never had live as free in 360. I don't know wy though. Maybe the greed for more money was the reason. They are doing the same thing with Xbox One and we kinda have to put up with it sadly.

Well atleast I think they should include a trial live subscription of a few months if not a year with the Xbox One for the price they're asking.

It really is unfair that you even need live for Netflix and other apps, so it will really balance it out if MS could have this offer with the new purchases.

The money from Live is what makes things like CoD:Ghosts and TitanFall having dedicated servers possible. When it's too expensive for those companies to get servers on their own, they can leverage Microsoft's low pricing to get it done. We subsidize a lot of that with our subscriptions.

And as I said in another thread, it's not just NetFlix and Hulu we get. There are a boatload of apps that we get as part of Live that no one else offers in their service. It does balance out.

The money from Live is what makes things like CoD:Ghosts and TitanFall having dedicated servers possible. When it's too expensive for those companies to get servers on their own, they can leverage Microsoft's low pricing to get it done. We subsidize a lot of that with our subscriptions.

And as I said in another thread, it's not just NetFlix and Hulu we get. There are a boatload of apps that we get as part of Live that no one else offers in their service. It does balance out.

That's good to know, I wonder how PSN had online gameplay without a subscription though, P2P servers?

Do you know what would be pretty cool, if they could turn the days that you are paying into the actual time you use the console. Yes, you can buy 30 days, but are you really getting your money's worth when you just play games on the weekends? They could charge a little more to balance it out, but still, make it based on time used and not time passed!

Nope. If you bought a 360 to watch Netflix, that's on you. Live was originally intended for multiplayer gaming and they added all of those things in. I don't see why the people that felt no need to get Live prior to those additions should suddenly get to reap the rewards of them just because they say so. You were fine with your 360 only being used to play games before, so you should be fine now.

It would be nice. I'm very fond of the Sony model, where you don't have to pay squat to enjoy what I feel is essentially the same thing. All told, I think dedicated servers are better than P2P but I've never experienced much if any displeasure with P2P connections.

No. I think the paid service is what made the difference this generation. Microsoft's servers offered a better service than Sony and is what made me stick to the XBOX over my PS3. I do believe, however, that some service shouldn't be locked behind a pay-wall so that they can stay competitive with Sony. I also think that Day One editions should include at least 3 months free just to entice new customers.

I wouldn't mind three months, but don't they still give away a month free with the 360? That should be enough to make people see what they are missing out on. I actually think that Microsoft should keep everything behind a paywall. You are making the conscious decision to choose the One or 360 as your media center, so there should be no surprises and unlike other devices that tell you what you are getting Microsoft actually tries to get more and more apps and media venues for Live, so that's part of the deal to me, if you're buying it as a media console first.

I wouldn't mind three months, but don't they still give away a month free with the 360? That should be enough to make people see what they are missing out on. I actually think that Microsoft should keep everything behind a paywall. You are making the conscious decision to choose the One or 360 as your media center, so there should be no surprises and unlike other devices that tell you what you are getting Microsoft actually tries to get more and more apps and media venues for Live, so that's part of the deal to me, if you're buying it as a media console first.

I just think its a bit much to hide an app behind the pay-wall that is freely available else where, even your smart phone. So I guess my gripe is with apps like Netflix.

You know, I am totally fine paying my $45 a year for Live. Let's face it, you can always find a sale price on a one year code, hence the $45. PSN's "free" network just kinds sucks IMO. I have no problem paying a nominal fee for a service that works great and gives me tons of perks. Just my two cents. Okay, gotta get back to streaming House of Cards on my Xbox through the Netflix app ;)

I just think its a bit much to hide an app behind the pay-wall that is freely available else where, even your smart phone. So I guess my gripe is with apps like Netflix.

But, you're not hiding Netflix behind a paywall. Microsoft offered Netflix as an added bonus to everyone that was already using their Live network. I don't get how everyone seems to forget that. People were already paying to play, they added something in to what you were paying for. It was all of the people that weren't paying or now saw that they could get a 360 that started complaining about paying.

How are you hiding something behind a video game console? It's there for video games and they have the technology to do other things with it, but it's a video game console first. I don't see how gamers can say that they want a game console with anger and then turn around and complain about not being able to use Netflix for free. It's not a Netflix box, it's a game console. Despite all of the additional things that Microsoft is adding to the console, they do want you playing games on it and if you are not, then yes, you will have to pay for Live in order to do other things on it. It would be a financial loss for them to make it otherwise.

I honestly don't mind paying for Xbox Live. It's a really small amount of money (you could probably make it online doing surveys or something) but the quality is a lot better. Or it feels a lot better. I've played on the PSN and Xbox Live feels smoother and not as laggy. My Gaming Console also didn't get hacked on Xbox Live, unlike PSN...

But, you're not hiding Netflix behind a paywall. Microsoft offered Netflix as an added bonus to everyone that was already using their Live network. I don't get how everyone seems to forget that. People were already paying to play, they added something in to what you were paying for. It was all of the people that weren't paying or now saw that they could get a 360 that started complaining about paying.

How are you hiding something behind a video game console? It's there for video games and they have the technology to do other things with it, but it's a video game console first. I don't see how gamers can say that they want a game console with anger and then turn around and complain about not being able to use Netflix for free. It's not a Netflix box, it's a game console. Despite all of the additional things that Microsoft is adding to the console, they do want you playing games on it and if you are not, then yes, you will have to pay for Live in order to do other things on it. It would be a financial loss for them to make it otherwise.

Microsoft isn't marketing it as a video game console. Its the "All-in-One" box that is my new center of entertainment and the center piece to the most lived in room of the house. All the fuss after the initial reveal was because of this approach. Sure on the 360 it was a "bonus" to those who already have live, but we're not talking about the 360. This is a new console and the idea is to incentivize an otherwise lost demographic. You do this throw features and convenience. If you want me, as a consumer, to believe that the XB1 is something I "need" then you first need to tell me why its different from all the other devices in my home. We're in the age of smart everything. I myself have a smart TV with tons of features including netflix and hulu. I don't pay a monthly fee to access a service which I'm already paying for in the first place, because that is redundant. If they want to capture the entertainment aspect then access to such features should be free. The free Xbox Live user should not have to switch inputs or devices to watch or use a service already available on his XB1 simply because he doesn't want to pay for Live, which is used primarily for multiplayer gaming (because like you said it is a gaming console after all)

They may be selling it now as the All in One box, but that is not what Live started as and it makes no sense, nor would it be fair to all of the people that supported Live to give it away for free now, just because someone WILLFULLY went into a store and purchased a One or 360 to do other things over gaming. Your computer can access all of the same features that an One can, but for whatever reason you want to use the One to do it, so it's a choice that someone makes and a very easy one.

It's akin to buying a sportscar and telling the manufacturer they are wrong because it requires premium gas. You could've bought a car that didn't and still made it to point A and B.

This is not a lost demographic, this is a demographic that is requesting the One. They want one box in their home that can do as much stuff as possible and Live is truly of no consequence to them.

Back