Xbox One Do you keep your console Vertical or Horizontal?

spleendingo

From
Michigan
Microsoft says the Xbox One was not designed to be used vertically and you should do so at your own risk. They claim it's not an overheating problem, but a disc slot issue. In other "not really news" news, they claim that 80% of 360 owners use their systems horizontally anyway. Just sharing in case you're part of that 20% when you get your One!

My first 360 was vertical. Then one desolate day I was watching a DVD and the picture went out. I had sound, just no picture. I put in a game with the same results. Even after I set it horizontally, it couldn't be fixed. My next one and current one have stayed horizontal from day one. Are you part of the 80%? Or do you belong in the minority?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oooh, you don't EVER want to use your system vertically unless it's the Wii, which of course is designed to be vertical. My hubby used to be a Gamestop store manager and whenever people would come in with games that didn't work and had a laser type ring etched on the disc, he asked them and found out that they ALWAYS had their systems vertical. If it's not made for it, don't do it! Not worth ruining a $60 game...

Oooh, you don't EVER want to use your system vertically unless it's the Wii, which of course is designed to be vertical. My hubby used to be a Gamestop store manager and whenever people would come in with games that didn't work and had a laser type ring etched on the disc, he asked them and found out that they ALWAYS had their systems vertical. If it's not made for it, don't do it! Not worth ruining a $60 game...

I used to work at the Stop also. Though I dont think the X1 is made to sit vertical the 360 had a design flaw that was known. Ther laser eye was VERY close to where the disc would spin. AND i mean CLOSE. Thats why when you just had a tiny vibration, the eye would make that circle scratch on the disc.

I have one 360 in my living room vertical and one in my bedroom horizontal.

Yeah, it just seems to be asking for trouble leaving it vertical. One little bump and you could lose your disk. My 360 is always horizontal and I've never had a problem with a disk, yet I have friends who have their disks scratched all the time with a vertical 360. I'm not even sure how you load a disk into a vertical 360? There's nothing holding it in there?

I never even considered the discs, I was always concerned with a bump knocking it over and rattling the smallest, most crucial piece in the unit. Not to mention, it kind of looks stupid. Just my opinion for all of the vertical owners.

Microsoft on Xbox One vertical orientation: "Do it at your own risk"

Although this isn't exactly news for many of us,I thought the verticality of the PS2 was cool and it was nice of the PS3 to also include the feature, as I've gotten older I like the sleekness and simplicity of a horizontal console. When I was 16 and my console was the centerpiece of my bedroom, it looked "cool" to stand it up vertically. Now as I approach 30 I would rather have my console lay flat and blend into my entertainment center among the other devices.

They never did tell you to not TOUCH THE SYSTEM when the 360 had a disk on the tray, even when it isn't reading, and look how that turned out to be.
So when they tell you to not put the damn thing on vertical, you don't put it and it's the end of it.

I've had a problem with turning any disc-based electronic on it's side so the disc is spinning vertical.
Sure, the company says you *can* use it like that...but to me, it's an increased risk in damaging the media!

I always put my consoles horizontal. I don't know anyone who puts a console vertically. I have heard that Nintendo products beyond gamecube can sit vertically. Everything I have read and heard says that you are asking for hardware troubles in the long run if you stand your system vertically. Why risk it?

To tell you the truth I am kind of disgusted with the PR about this. Why in the world does the PR have to spin this into a negative? It's the talk of the town right now, anywhere you search about X1 in google is about this with a negative spin. It's irritating, and awful. I personally hate setting my consoles vertical because it just looks unorthodox to me!

Ouch! The only console I would even think about putting vertical would be my Wii, which I don't even use anymore. Putting a console vertically is almost as bad as putting it horizontally on a rug..*shudders*

I would never use mine vertically as it could break my entire system aswell as my disc. It wouldnt make sense for a disk to properly function when vertical and being pulled down by gravity, the only time i have my console vertical is when it doesnt have a disc in it or i unplug it to make sure it doesnt come on when it has a disk in it (Im paranoid like that :p )

If I put it vertically... how would I use the laptop cooler? Seriously though I've always had it horizontally because it's not the most stable hunk of plastic in the world. Even then I lost a disc because of a hyperactive little boy running about the house. So yeah, horizontal on top of a laptop cooler with lots of space to breathe.

Always horizontal. The Wii was even horizontal.

Er, to be more accurate, the Wii had the ability to be oriented horizontally. They had a special platform that came with the Wii so you could place it vertically.

I never realized it was such a bad idea to place the 360 like that though. I suppose it helps explain why my Black Ops disc stopped working completely, though I place most of the blame on me hitting my Xbox in anger. Yeah, don't do that.

I usually use my console horizontally. Although I am kind of disappointed because Microsoft still hasn't fixed the game disc problem. I had always hoped their next console produced by Microsoft would fix the game disc being scratched, whenever the console was lifted. This problem costs me about 3 games down the road, I would hate to see me lose any more games because of a recurring problem.

The thing is, when the 360 was first announced Microsoft said you could use it either way and actually showed it off vertically a few times at conventions. They had to be aware of the issues this would bring, but didn't acknowledge them until customers started complaining. So it was a "our bad" on MS.

At least this time around they're just saying "Hey, don't use it this way. Bad things will happen" lol. I'm not really sure why this is considered a negative thing by the media. If the majority of people are already using it horizontally, that won't change with the One. Besides, you don't buy a $1200 TV and set that up on its side so why do that with a gaming system? That's the kind of thinking I needed with my first one. Maybe I'd still have it lol. :)

I generally have mine horizontally anyway...just makes sense to me.

Back