Frame Rates - 30fps or 60+ fps?

guitarhero

It's a much argued debate and everybody has their own opinions on what is an acceptable frame rate for video games, but what do you guys think? Personally, I will strive to always go for at least 60 fps in my shooter video games even if it means I have to turn down all the graphics settings on a game however for other genres such as racing and RTS's as long as they are around the 30 fps mark I honestly don't mind as they are not as dependent on quick reflexes or movements.

As a former Quake, CS player, I almost always opt for as high as possible. 30 fps just plays and "feels" like crap to me, Skate 3 forced you to play 30 fps in the user created worlds, and I couldn't stand it. I'd get headaches if I played them for more than an hour or two. So, the higher the better imo.

Yeah I agree the more the better. I see nothing wrong with 60fps. It just leaves more room for more fluid animation. It's probably the best option for newer games as their graphics have gotten so much better.

As a competitive TF2 player, FPS is very important. My TF2 client's ridiculously optimised to have 120 fps constant - low res textures, low polygon count models, ragdolls and eyes disabled, etc. It's very helpful with a fibre optic connection - reaction times and response times are very good. I just need to fork over some money for a 120 hz monitor and I'm sorted.

If I had to choose between the two, I would pick 60+ frame rate. Whenever I set it to 30 fps, it just feels wrong, and slightly annoys me. There's always something about it that annoys me, and I just feel lag instead of getting it. I always go the extra 5 fps for some reason.

As someone currently using the Ace 144hz, it's worth every penny man. I was going to pick up one of the BenQ's after ESEA's finals, but I still couldn't justify the price. Ended up picking the Acer for about 60 under ESEA's reduced used BenQ price during a sale, haven't regretted it for a minute.

Yes, highest frame rate possible. I don't care if my game looks worse I want it to run ridiculously smooth and I should have no problems at all.

FPS > Graphics

It just feels better with a good FPS.

Yeah, 60 fps is always nicer. I'm actually not that bothered by framerates dropping a little from that. If you get below 30 though it starts to get noticeable. I usually shoot for the graphics settings that keep me around 50-60, if I can. I remember in WoW though, for example, it'd be hard to plan. If you set your graphics kind of high (on my Mac) you'd be fine in most areas, but Org would be laggy with all of the people in it. But if you set your graphics so low that Org would be ok, then you're shorting the graphics on the rest of the game. That was a tough call.

I would say 30 fps but I must be honest, I'd say 60 fps, the smoothness of a game is what I always prefer. Even if I must play on the lowest graphics it is no doubt worth it! However before I bought my new computer, I ran all my other games at fps lower than 20 and the transition was very daunting. So it would also be personal preference and how comfortable one is with their settings.

-Paul

After upgrading my computer to run every game at least 60 fps, there's no going back. It's just so smooth and 30 fps seems laggy. On consoles 30 fps is different because it's locked at that, but on PC if you're getting 30 fps you're probably stuttering which makes it seem much more worse.

Depends how stable the game play is. If they are running on the ragged edge and leggy and glut hung give me 30fps and get it working flawless. It is a worry with forza5 nonestly

I don't mind 30fps as long as it's constant. If it keeps dropping that's problematic and it's time to lower graphical settings (or whine about bad port/optimization). I prefer 60fps, though. Don't have a proper gaming rig so it's not like I reach 60fps in most modern games, though...

Sometimes I can't play on 60 fps on games like battlefield so I'm usually good with like 35 fps and I don't mind.

60FPS is THE WAY to play games. There is a HUGE difference comparing 30fps and 60fps, so I try to get 60 fps on all the games I play by lowering graphical settings if I need to.

As a former Quake, CS player, I almost always opt for as high as possible. 30 fps just plays and "feels" like crap to me, Skate 3 forced you to play 30 fps in the user created worlds, and I couldn't stand it. I'd get headaches if I played them for more than an hour or two. So, the higher the better imo.

Definitely something that only people that played arena shooters can know really, because movement becomes jerky and controls unresponsive when frames start to be lost during gameplay, and something you don't want to complain about is the game when it comes to high action.

I would prefer to always play on 60 FPS, however my computer can not keep up a lot of times. There are games where I play at 30 FPS and I can enjoy it just fine. However, the real amazing experience is when you're at 60.

I can't even understand what would make you want to play with 30 fps, it's a step way from having some noticeable fps lag. In almost every game I will choose fps over graphics. Anything breaks more the immersion then fps lag.

30 fps or 60 fps? Well when it comes to gaming, anything with 30 fps or above is fine to me. As a matter of fact, I don't think it matters if your fps ranges from 30 to 60 or even above 60. The gameplay still performs in a suitable rate and in my opinion, I personally don't see any differences between playing a an fps game with 30 fps or 60 fps. Some might claim theres a huge difference but, like an animation; 30 fps is quite a fast rate for the eye to capture and thus performs it in a high quality performance.

20 is playable. Barely in my opinion, but it can be done. I think my first self built PC played Crysis at a solid 18-22 with all the bells and whistles on and it was playable and for the most part fluid.

30 is fluid and shouldn't give you trouble.

60 is overkill but in intense situations (huge explosions) it could drop to the mid 30's, so it just gives you a lot of breathing room.

Past 60 your eyes can't tell the difference, because I've read research that concluded that 60fps was the equivalent of the "refresh rate" of the human eye. So basically if you had two monitors on 2 different computers playing the same game, and one was running 60fps and the other 600fps, each would look just as fluid.

Erm, 60 FPS overkill? That's funny. 60 FPS is the recommended, it's barely overkill. Something like 100 FPS would be overkill, but 60 FPS definitely is not. There is a large visible difference between 30 FPS and 60 FPS. Anything above 60 is IMPOSSIBLE to see on a 60 Hz monitor because the screen refreshes only 60 times per second. Get an overclocked monitor or something like a 120hz or 144hz monitor and tell me again what you think. There is a visible difference between 120fps on a 120hz monitor and 60fps on a 120hz monitor as well, you will notice it if you actually had a monitor with higher than 60 hz refresh rate...

Back