Xbox One Future Xbox One update will add external hard drive support

KN1GHTMARE

Former Moderator
From
NJ
Website
socialclub.rockstargames.com
Microsoft has confirmed that introducing support for external hard drives is one of its main priorities for future Xbox One system updates.

The news came from Xbox chief product officer Marc Whitten, as he detailed today's big Xbox One system update.

"We value all of the feedback we're getting from you," he said. "We know external hard drive storage is another big one on your list, It's on our list too. We're working on that for a future update and will keep you posted."

Whitten also confirmed that a tweaked friend notification system is high on Microsoft's to-do list. "We're working on friends notification improvements and experimenting with how to make that better," he said.

Source: CVG

Well both are high-in-demand improvements and sorely missed, so it's good to have confirmation our request have not been forgotten. Currently i have a mere 32gb of space left in my hard drive which will be used up between Titanfall and MGS: Ground Zeroes, and it has only been a mere 3 months since launch. How are you guys doing with space? What other improvements do you want brought via updates?

Well both are high-in-demand improvements and sorely missed, so it's good to have confirmation our request have not been forgotten. Currently i have a mere 32gb of space left in my hard drive which will be used up between Titanfall and MGS: Ground Zeroes, and it has only been a mere 3 months since launch. How are you guys doing with space? What other improvements do you want brought via updates?

Honestly I have about 28GB left. I hope that they could also add a compression program on the next update so we can save space on our existing HDD.

Well, good to know you can finally use external HDD. 1TB... gotta find one when I'm on the verge to buy the XB1.

Well, good to know you can finally use external HDD. 1TB... gotta find one when I'm on the verge to buy the XB1.
I better get an extra HDD as well. Once all the good games come out this year I might need more space.

That is fantastic. I bought an extra HDD because I was sure that they would do this, and if I'm honest then I'm in the position where I needed this update to happen. I really don't have that much space left so this comes at a perfect time for me.

Is the extra hard drive gonna connect threw the USB? If so, I wish there were more USB ports on the xbox. There are only two correct? The one on the side and the one on the back correct?
I have both my chargers plug into them... Was just wondering why it only came with so few when you think about extra hard drives, chargers, headphones, etc.... not many spots to add stuff....

Is the extra hard drive gonna connect threw the USB? If so, I wish there were more USB ports on the xbox. There are only two correct? The one on the side and the one on the back correct?
I have both my chargers plug into them... Was just wondering why it only came with so few when you think about extra hard drives, chargers, headphones, etc.... not many spots to add stuff....

Well to be fair there are charging docks for the controllers and any USB port can be used to charge regardless of it being on the XB1. I think the real point is is that are you really going to need to charge everything at the same time? The 360 had more ports becuase a large number of people had wired controllers which isn't the case for the XB1

True, but come on.... don't you think two is a little ridiculous for this day and age when so many things use the USB to connect????

Well my thinking is you will only need the hard drive to save/install games.. All the game progress saves are online. So really you will only need to have the external hd connected for a short while. So having only two USB ports works perfect for me.

Looks like my extra 1TB HDD will be useful this time. I really hope that we can have the update sooner. My free space is down to 18%. I need more space and more games to play. I wish we can compress the game files to save more space while waiting for the update.

So i asusme i can go back to putting my shows on my flash drive and watch shows that way?, rather then having to upload it to onedrive.

So i asusme i can go back to putting my shows on my flash drive and watch shows that way?, rather then having to upload it to onedrive.

That's probably the same thing that I'll do once this update is out.

if you have 32g left you wont fit titanfall... you need 40iirc

they are still very un open with how open the external hd will be.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-one-external-storage-aims-to-be-open/1100-6418143/

its really a sketchy subject to be honest.. they are being to quiet on what is going to be allowed or not. saying the intention is to be ope nad it being open are 2 different things.

all i know is it needs to be able to support 2-3tb.. i am not sure if i want it to be supported via wirless(usb/router) or connectable to xb1 console itself via usb3.0.. i think the performance from a 3rd party via cord or wireless is going to hinder performance.. all the talk about the cloud better be true its going to be the only saving grace

Wow. Nice to know man. Thanks for the tip sc_shark. I haven't tried installing Titanfall yet, well I have yet to buy it so I think I need to free some space for it for the meantime. I have 22GB left and the videos took up mostly the space that I have.

And this is where buying 1-3 HDDs is going to come very handy. If we're all going digital all the way, we might as well have HDDs to accomodate for the big ones.

I am still fine on space. I have 9 games and still have only used 41%.

I am still fine on space. I have 9 games and still have only used 41%.

I have 8 games and I still have 63% free space on my hard disk. Well, this is definitely a good update. Good thing I have two 1TB HDD extra that was given to me last Christmas.

Back