Gamecube vs Wii

Bruiser

Does anyone else miss the Gamecube? I have fond gaming memories with that little box! I kind of wish I still had one, but with the possibility to play new Wii games on it. There are some new games, that would be so much better to play on the Gamecube, due to the controller. So, where do you stand when it comes to Gamecube versus Wii?

Last edited:
We still have both the Gamecube and Wii in our household. Both are played on occasion. You can play some of the Wii games on the Xbox, and you are right...it is better, because of the controller! I like both the same, so I really can't choose one over the other.

I prefer Dolphin :)

In case you didn't know what Dolphin is, it is an emulator for the PC that can play both Gamecube and Wii games. I just plug in my USB controller and go for a quick round of Mario Galaxy. That way I don't have to deal with plugging in consoles and the space they occupy.

Wii is just a slightly updated Gamecube anyway. Nintendo made a lot of money but it disappointed its hardcore fan-base with it. I hope the WiiU plans to redeem that.

The Gamecube was an amazing console in my opinion. I remember picking my one up on release day and it was such a step up from my PSX. I still use it from time to time but I agree it would be better if more retail release Wii games allowed you to use the Gamecube controller.

Gamecube for me I might have placed about twice on a friends set. I never got into it for some reason. For some reason the feel of it was just not something I liked and ended up going more towards others than this one.

I never owned a Gamecube, but can't you play the old Gamecube games on the Wii now? Can't you download them onto the Wii? Also, Wii makes a "classic" controller that you can plug into the remote and play with, if you don't like playing with the remote. I don't know how similar it is to a Gamecube controller, but it's better than the remote, ha ha!!

I'd take the Nintendo Wii over the Gamecube any day just because if the controller alone. Don't get me wrong, the Gamecube is a great console but the Wii is on another league. The uniqueness of the Wii and the variety of games available makes the Wii superior to the Gamecube.

Both! We have a Gamecube and a Wii in our house. However, the Gamecube has been put into storage, and is now collecting dust on a shelf. The Wii is still out, and gets regular use. Maybe, I'll pull out the Gamecube soon, and play some of the old games!

I liked the Gamecube better than the Wii simply because the Gamecube didn't make a point to horde mass amounts of shovelware the way the Wii did. But to Nintendo's credit, it's what they had to do in order to become viable again.

I miss the gamecube most defiantly lol even though i still have mine in my room lol i just wish the gamecube had online play like the ps2 did.

I loved the gamecube, and then I found out you could play gamecube games on the Wii. Now I still play resident evil on the good 'ol wii.

Although I think Wii has a better selection of games than Gamecube, I have always considered the Wii a ripoff because it is basically a Gamecube with another controller, it has almost the same hardware and I don´t think the new controller improves the playable experience that much to justify the price you have to pay for a Wii.

Never had a Wii, but I remember playing gamecube. It was really simple, but fun when you didn't want to play Xbox.

I,m sure you can play Gamecube games on the Wii and also use the controllers as well as there are ports on the side for them.
the reason I say this is my little boy bought a Donkey Kong game with the drums at a car boot sale for £1 the other day.
Its funny to see that little Gamecube disk going in to Wii drive

I like Gamecube better. More attractive look and overall better gameplay. The Wii is cool but I just could never get into it really. Maybe it was just me, but I prefer my gamecube.

Definitely, the gamecube, like the Dreamcast, was an underrated beast that had such unique titles like Eternal Darkness, Luigi's Mansion and F-Zero GX. And don't even get me started on Super Smash Bros. Melee, that game runs on magic and dreams just on the amount of stuff on it!

I agree with this. The Gamecube was underrated, never appreciated, and misunderstood. I feel like it kind of got tossed to the heap unfairly when there were a lot of fun games on it that brought (what I feel) was some of the last of Nintendo's real ingenuity to the market. I don't really think the Wii did that. Sure, it's got motion controllers and an attachment for every single game you'd like to play but that's not really innovation, it's a gimmick that no one really caught on to. No offense but the Wii is kind of a huge let down on the whole.

Back