Xbox 360 Have you ever had a RRoD on an Xbox?

jardantuan

I've owned three different 360s in the past few years, yet I've never had a RRoD.

I know that the problem was worst with early models of the Xbox, and I didn't get one until a couple of years after, so that may have been a factor. But after about 18 months my first Xbox suffered a problem with the disc drive not reading games any more, so it had to be taken back. We then got a replacement which was fine. About 6 months after that, I moved out to go to university, and left the Xbox behind (I shared it with my brother, and somehow the fair thing to do was leave it and buy a new one myself - go figure). When Skyrim came out I bought a pre-owned 360 from Amazon for about £100, which has been fine, although it makes a lot of noise (I think it's the power supply whirring or something). It's very much close to death, I can tell, but I've never had the RRoD.

I just found it strange that none of my consoles have suffered it, yet the RRoD seems to claim a lot of consoles.

I had an original "fat" 360 on launch which had hardware problems and died after about a year or so. Unfortunately we couldn't get it repaired due to some warranty bs, so we had to buy another one. The Elite model we got afterwards had some disc scratching problems, but otherwise it still works fine to this day, it's in my brother's room. From what I understand most hardware problems affected the earlier models, and it was related to the GPU overheating because of the poor airflow, and being located too close to the CPU socket. Elite/S models and later usually work fine.

All three 360s that I've owned were the original 'fat' model though. I've heard that the GPUs were upgraded as time went by to prevent overheating, but there's still clearly a design problem with airflow with these ones as well.

It's a shame that they're so unreliable really - hopefully the Xbox One won't suffer the same problems.

I have thankfully (knock on wood) never had a RRoD. My 360 has served me loyally for several years, and hopefully will continue to do so forever. Its pretty much my only console now, after a flood took my NES and N64 from me. Long may my Xbox Live.

I bought a launch Xbox 360 and carried that thing around for years. It survived bumps and bruises, moving boxes and cats, and never had an issue in the first four years or so of ownership. When I finally got my RRoD, right after purchasing a new game of course, I called up the Xbox support team and hat that thing fixed up within two weeks. Since then I have had no issues and hope not to have any. I've been super impressed with my 360 so much that I don't think I'll be going to the XB1 for awhile, probably not for a year or so after the XB1 launch.

Same here. Ironically, I got my first Xbox when my old PS2 died due to some issues and it was way past warranty. I have the second "arcade" version 360, and it's served me pretty well since then. I rarely use it though, especially these days.

I've preordered my One though, so here's to hoping it won't have any launch issues like the 360 did.

Oh i get it all the time. Not too hard to get rid of it though.

Back