Xbox 360 How long do you think retail stores will continue to sell XBox 360s?

Rocketman

I was walking around Future Shop the other day and I saw that there were still a handful of PS3s and Xbox 360s on the shelves. I'm not sure how long the original Xbox/PS2/Gamecube were sold after the new console generation came out but I'm just wondering how long you think they'll continue to sell the systems. Are more of them being made? Or are they just selling off whatever is left now?

360 and PS3s will be sold for a long time. The GameStop here still has some PS2s and a couple of O.G Xboxes. I'd say used 360s will be in the back/behind the counter for roughly another 3-5 years or more.

I agree, I can see 360 being sold in game stores for awhile and online forever.

Well of course it'll be on sell online forever lol. I see the 360 being in the stores for the next 3 years or so before Microsoft calls for them to be pulled.

If you're looking for a 360 in the future, you'll likely find one in store two years down the line. You'll have to ask them to check in the back, but chances are it'll be there.

I think they'll be around for awhile. I bought my daughter the first version of Xbox 360 for Christmas this year since she simply wanted a game console to play RockSmith 2014 on. She didn't have a need for integrated memory, built in Wi-Fi or advanced graphics. She just needed a console to play one particular game. It was on sale with Gamestop for $80, so it was a winner. My son has the second generation Xbox 360 and loves it. I don't know if they are still making games for it new, but at least for now, we're happy with the console and I can't imagine with the library of used games out there that these will fall out of circulation any time soon.

That's great they enjoy their consoles, man. Always great to hear. The Xbox 360 will be on retail shelves/in stock for awhile. Like novasparker said, there's a big library of games for the 360...too big for them to just say that they're completely done and want the console pulled.

There's a ton left in the 360's library that many haven't gotten around to and a little bit that will come out for the 360. That said, even if Microsoft did pull the 360, people would still be able to get their mitts on it.

I wonder if their availability is based more on lack of people buying them or if Microsoft is going to bother making any more. I'm not surprised by how older consoles like PS2 and N64 still being sold because they were simpler consoles and as a result, more durable. Red Ring of death is more infamous, and the 360 has smaller parts and is overall more fragile. I think that after a few years, a lot of the ones on the shelf even are going to start to gradually break down internally.

Yea, I think their is at least 2 more years of xbox360 being sold before it becomes hard to find. The price of the Nex Gen consoles on top of people still liking their 360, the market for the 360 is still there. It won't be a long time before everyone switches over, but I don't think the Nex Gen systems are going to play a huge role in those who still have the 360 because games will be made, games will be bought and people still play games they enjoy

I wonder if their availability is based more on lack of people buying them or if Microsoft is going to bother making any more. I'm not surprised by how older consoles like PS2 and N64 still being sold because they were simpler consoles and as a result, more durable. Red Ring of death is more infamous, and the 360 has smaller parts and is overall more fragile. I think that after a few years, a lot of the ones on the shelf even are going to start to gradually break down internally.

You'll always have someone who will be up for fixing those busted 360s though. There will be a time when Microsoft will stop supporting repairs even--which is also when support will end for the console completely and it'll be taken off shelves. Like why worry about fixing RROD when you'll have your hands full with whatever the menace will be for X1? If you take it off the shelves you basically wash your hands of it and any problem is the responsibility of the buyer or the seller if they offer a warranty.

I wonder if their availability is based more on lack of people buying them or if Microsoft is going to bother making any more.

Retail availability could be down to getting the consoles for better prices used online. Sometimes on eBay you can get a used 360 with a number of games for the same price of a bundle. That's the same with other consoles.

I would give it another 4 or so years before the 360 starts vanishing from the stores as people will either go to PS4 or Xbox One or some other hi-tech console that will no doubt be released next year but shops like Gamestation, Cash Converters etc will no doubt have plenty of 360's in when people upgrade. I for one, will still continue to use the 360.

I think retailers will continue to sell the PS3 and 360. At least until the companies announced that they will no longer support said consoles. Even then, the retailers will probably keep them on store shelves until all the stocks are cleared. I'd say for the short term, the old consoles are still going strong.

Well, I dunno. I would guess until it stops selling or theyr run out of stock.

Let's be honest, though, there's still a fair lot of stuff coming out for both PS3 and 360, so they aren't really dying too soon... especially since the new consoles don't have backwards compatibility.

Well I guess till Mircosoft decides to stop producing them maybe or when when their warehouses run out of stock. So I guess maybe in a year but it going to in the back of the storage room where no one buys them. I don't really get why anyone would buy the older console because what is the point of that?

I find the newer generation of gamers odd. It's like instantly abandon a console for a console with nothing on it to start and stuff trickling in for the following year (when stuff doesn't come in on a regular basis like the previous console until 2-3 years later)...then a portion of those gamers complain about nothing being available/droughts. Really odd.

You get an old console to play stuff that you didn't get to play prior and/or won't be available on the new console. Roughly 80-90% of the last console's titles won't be available on the new console, just the bulk of the hits if companies decide to put them on X1. Plus there are games that weren't hits that were good that you won't get to play unless you have a 360.

They'll probably sell them until they run out of stock, which probably won't happen for a while yet and even then you'll have everyone turning in their own 360s. I don't know, I really don't know if anyone would buy a 360 anymore but at my local gamestore we still have PS2s laying around!

I find the newer generation of gamers odd. It's like instantly abandon a console for a console with nothing on it to start and stuff trickling in for the following year (when stuff doesn't come in on a regular basis like the previous console until 2-3 years later)...then a portion of those gamers complain about nothing being available/droughts. Really odd.

lol I've stopped pondering on this around 2010, really.

When the Xbox 360's start sitting on shelves for months at a time, then they will probably take them off. As long as people are buying them, they'll continue producing them and stocking them.

Back