Xbox One i think my provider is throttling me back lol

sc_shark

seems i am getting close to that 1tb usage a month

also seems about the 3rd week when in twitch if i watch a game with allot of activity it starts to lag.. it may have to do with the gameand the streamer but i sware about week 3 its like clockwork i start to see that spining thing while watching twitch..

And that's just for gaming at that. Maybe call your ISP and give them the 'what's up...' talk.

Not including streaming to other devices, computers, software updates, etc.

I have a lot of problems with lag when I'm watching Twitch, too. Haven't noticed if it's at a certain time of the month or not. I didn't even realize that the cable company might be throttling speeds. Can they really do that?!

i ended up at 9xx gb in january..

oh i can tell i got throttled.. in games like bf4 and such its apparent.. it acts like a rubber band. you can take 2 steps and all of a sudden your 2 back than bounch forward...

i can only tell on twitch with specific games with allot going on.. good thing with twitch is its on a delay and not live or i think most people would have issues.. that and its compressed

i ended up at 9xx gb in january..

oh i can tell i got throttled.. in games like bf4 and such its apparent.. it acts like a rubber band. you can take 2 steps and all of a sudden your 2 back than bounch forward...

i can only tell on twitch with specific games with allot going on.. good thing with twitch is its on a delay and not live or i think most people would have issues.. that and its compressed

I had no idea this was from the internet provider throttling speeds... I thought this was a form of hacking or cheating! I always go over my data cap (it's only 300 gigs and I usually wind up about 750 gigs) so they are probably throttling me too. Wish there was a way to make that illegal.

I had no idea this was from the internet provider throttling speeds... I thought this was a form of hacking or cheating! I always go over my data cap (it's only 300 gigs and I usually wind up about 750 gigs) so they are probably throttling me too. Wish there was a way to make that illegal.

rubber banding is not always a sign... in a game like bf4 hardline beta it can be a server issue (if you play bf4 harline beta) this is a semi norm in beta play.. like yesterday i had a good bit of it.. now today they played with the server settings and it is much better. if the last day of the beta i had it like crazy i would look at my network speed test.

but on a finished game past the first few weeks i would say yes to lag cheating or general internet provider.. with a game like destiny its kind of a toss up.. they set a ping rate and if you start dropping below that it can cause lag and this is why destiny has a high connection error problem.. they use your lag to purg you and keep the game running at or above a specific speed.. they change these setting semi often and this is why if you are on destiny app you see an influx of connection error around updates and tuesdays when they do patch/releases.

its not always a cut and dry thing.

Соmсаst hаs thе Xbоx Оnе piсkеd оut fоr а similаr fаtе, аs thе соmpаny triеs tо inсоrpоrаtе thе nеw сhаllеngеr’s bеst fеаturеs. Fоr yеаrs, сritiсs соmplаinеd аbоut Соmсаst’s ugly саblе bоxеs, but nоw thаt gаming соmpаniеs аrе thrеаtеning thе сrоwn, Соmсаst is bringing аll оf its industriаl dеsign in-hоusе, hiring tаlеnt frоm Vаllеy dаrlings likе Frо

For some reason my ISP makes my wifi a lot slower at night. Its especially annoying because I only have 2 MBps internet and its pathetically slow but internet here is expensive (I'm paying what's equal to about $900 per month for it ) and there's not much I can do about it at the moment. I recently upgraded to a $700 Linksys router and it seems to help with the signal part of things but gaming is still a big issue for me.

While all ISP's, even the ones that claim to give you unlimited access will have a cap in there written in the small print. A few years ago, that cap was so high that people hardly ever got near to it, but in this day and age when our whole homes are practically connected online, we're getting close, if not above it on more than one occasion.

That's when you'll experience the problems, and while it's easy to call it throttling, here in the UK at least, that's against regulations and ISP's can be fined if they're caught doing it.

I know it amounts to the same thing, but the terminology is slightly different. If the ISP is found to be throttling your connection, they can be reported and fined. If you're over your cap, then they are allowed to limit your access as they will say its a breach of contract so effectively they can do what they want.

Throttling is so stupid. It is almost never necessary, just a way for them to try to gouge prices even further because the industry has been corrupt for ages. Wifi could have already been free for the planet, it's all dollar signs up to the top.

That's the problem with a lot of things these days though, it's all about the money more than anything else, especially when it comes to the big companies.

You're right about ISP's throttling people's connections and there isn't any need for it. It's just a way of them trying to show you that they've got all the power and no matter how much money you're paying for the service, they can still do what they want.

They're all out the door soon, this is the decade where the ISPs die. Absolute fact. Google is about to put a bullet in them, watch, google stock is so insanely valuable right now. Google will just be the first, other competitors will capitalize once the monopoly is broken and you will see 4g speeds available in most small-scale towns by 2026 and the world will be way, way better off for it. They aren't messing around, do a little digging and you'll see what I mean. Fiber in those cities was just a test, they have their info and their money and they're about to pull the prestige on the world. It's gonna be sexy.

By 2026? You're talking another 10 years off if that's the case, and while you're right, I would have thought the way that technology is advancing as rapidly as what it is, we'll see that, and even a lot faster, a lot sooner.

You have to understand that 1 year to the world is not 1 year to the -whole- world, it is 1 year selectively. What makes it to big cities in 5 years will be slightly off of the small towns, meaning it will take a few more years just to spread out a bit.

A lot of it has to do with society even though they technology is there...people are complacent and just follow their routine day after day, never really pushing themselves for more, so it's quite natural.

In a way you're right, as I'm sure in some parts if the world people are still using dial up to use the internet, but I just think while people don't generally like change, we are starting to see a shift were technology is concerned and people are becoming more internet savvy than ever before.

Yep! That will make it more profitable to have high speed internet satellites, and then subsequently those will become free as technology improves and they become higher speed. I think most people don't understand that a complex modem in space can be kept very cool for free, so it's ability to become dense and still transmit signals is dramatically higher

People don't care about the technology behind it, they just want it to work. Companies come out and say we can do this and that but it's going to cost more, but that's fine, as long as people are getting what they are paying for, then they're generally happy.

People don't want to be paying for a service to find out that half the time it isn't working. The company might come out and give the reasons and that a line isn't configured right, or they've experienced a connection drop, a satellite as shifted but we don't care. We don't want to know what's happened, we just want to use what we was promised.

Throttling shouldn't even be remotely acceptable, but the best way around it is to just always have data available. Unlimited mobile data + a wifi hotspot is pretty much the best thing you can do for guarantees, but that still isn't that great.

Well throttling isn't acceptable, as its been made illegal, well, over here in the UK/EU it as anyway, but I'm sure that the ISP's get around that, one way or another.

Getting an independent speed checker on your line is one way to tell if your service isn't performing as expected, but these days funding an independent one isn't that easy, and a lot are tied to various internet provider.

I'm pretty sure it's still legal here in the states. The big issue is that ISPs just buy their say of the laws to such an extent that they end up brainwashing people into believing that their service is worthwhile. They also technically all stole like 220 billion of taxpayer dollars that they got away with...true story

Back