Xbox One Is backward compatibility in the works?

terryp1202

I really miss being able to play original xbox games, and in this case, it would be nice to play 360 games on the One. Particularly, UFC Undisputed 3, and WWE 2K14. The One is short on fighting games, and those two are really great games that I would love to purchase. (traded in all my 360 stuff when I got the One) Any word on when or if backward compatibility will be patched in?

they are still trying to figure it out.. dont expect it for some time if they do bring it... 2 years minimum.. right now they are still fully supporting 360 so i cant see them really pushing to get it..

it would help with sales i think... but i still dont think its a game changer.

I am not sure whether they would be in favor of making backward compatibility possible since they stand to lose a lot of money if they do. With people buying new systems and new games to go with it, the cash keeps flowing in and it keeps them happy. If playing old games was possible many people may not buy so many new games.

They might eventually put backwards compatibility in but I don't think they are in any rush.
Not having it allows them to rerelease the previous gen's games for the One and make money on them again, like Sony is doing with The Last of Us for example. I wouldn't be surprised to see a few 360 games come out for the One with nothing but better graphics.

I would see them doing something over the cloud or virtually make games backwards compatible. I don't see Microsoft or Sony making the Next Gen consoles read older games. Both are trying to push gaming via the cloud and this would probably be a start to it.

You guys all gave good reasons why it wouldn't be a top priority. It sucks for the gamers! With the 360 still being supported, it makes sense not to let us just forget about it and jump to the much more expensive One. So it's more likely that there won't be any way to play 360 games on the one, until the 360 becomes obsolete, which I don't really see happening for at least another year or two.

The 360 is still alive today and having the Xbox One play older Xbox games would bury the hatchet on the 360 and ending it once and for all. But I would love to have an Xbox One Lite that has backwards compatibility, screw the Kinect I want to play games!

They supposedly are working on making it work through emulation. Considering how bad Xbox emulation was on the 360, it's probably not worth waiting for.

I don't think will make backwards compatibility available for Xbox one because there isn't any money to be made off of it. Microsoft and its partnering game developers don't want you playing old games you already have, they want you to buy their new games. The words "Backwards Compatibility" frighten any company that is trying to maximize profits.

I don't see it becoming an official thing. The only company that's really interested in backwards compatibility is Nintendo. I can't see it coming to the other systems in this generation, or any other.

I don't think will make backwards compatibility available for Xbox one because there isn't any money to be made off of it. Microsoft and its partnering game developers don't want you playing old games you already have, they want you to buy their new games. The words "Backwards Compatibility" frighten any company that is trying to maximize profits.

They don't only want you to buy new games, they want you to buy old games when they get re-released on next-gen. We saw this happen already on 360 with HD Collections and now we're seeing it in the next-gen consoles with things like Tomb Raider and (on PS4) Last of Us.

Need mo' cheddah.

Never I guess. They can do it but it requires time and hard work. It's easier and far more profitable to make a "ULTRAHD 1080P REMAKE" of the game. I find it very sad but it's how it works for now.

I don't think they'll make it for this gen. Microsoft is still pushing the sales of the 360 since games are still being made for it. Besides, with the trend of all these 1080p remakes nowadays, it's just a more viable option to remake games than make backwards compatibility. Even if people do want it, I think MS will just push out an alternate service just like the Playstation Now.

If not backwards compatible, than at least a re-release at a reduced cost of some of the more popular games. There are several games that I would love to play again, and if they were available I would purchase them.

they are still trying to figure it out.. dont expect it for some time if they do bring it... 2 years minimum.. right now they are still fully supporting 360 so i cant see them really pushing to get it..

it would help with sales i think... but i still dont think its a game changer.

thats good, they could also go software, with an emulator just like Sony did, that's always an option...

I honestly don't expect it to come back based on the infrastructure and work that'd need to be done, but I know a lot of people want it, so who knows.

I'm pretty sure that won't happen now. If they wanted it to be implemented it would already be done by now. I wanted it to be made too but right now my expectations are low, very low.

I guess that it depends on the number of consoles Microsoft will sell. If those numbers are too low and they start loosing the race, backwards compatibility could be the game changer. Last generation XBox 360 was the winner so having the possibility to play 360 games on the XBox One would make a lot of people happy. Just look at the waves Nintendo caused yesterday when they announced the GameCube controller adapter. People love having the option to use devices/software they already own on newer consoles.

It would be great if they did.

I purchased a X1 well actually won it and the reason I entered the contest is my wife and I thought it would be good to have both consoles since PS3 isn't backward compatible either, so we made the best of it. I do not understand why the X1 isn't. its just a fast processor graphics and ram. Its just down stepping is all. The hiccup I see if the full load on the hard drive and using the disc as confirmation of ownership.

Back