Xbox One Is backward compatibility in the works?

Unfortunately no. There is not backward compatibility in the works. I know it sucks, but it's the reality. If you want some true backwards compatibility, come game on PC mate.

I think that not having backwards compatibility on the consoles really suck because I think that it would really be fun to play some of those titles from the Xbox 360 on the Xbox one. I really that is sucks but I mean what can really do but sit and whine about it. I think that they made them this way so that the Xbox 360 doesn't die out to fast because I mean the Xbox 360 is still one of the best video game consoles that I have ever had the privilege of having.

I used to be big on backwards compatibility. I had an early PS3 that had it. Over the entire 6-year span that I've owned the PS3 I've played exactly 1 PS2 game on it: Final Fantasy 12. I could just have easily hooked up my PS2 for that one game.
It turns out playing old games seems more fun than it actually is.

I actually believe that it is in the work and that they probably waiting to announce some big old classics to comeback!
I really hope that they bring some classic Hitman games and bring some of the Gears of war franchise. Call of Duty 4 remade would be amazing and alot of people would buy it if the servers was new and repaired.

They don't only want you to buy new games, they want you to buy old games when they get re-released on next-gen. We saw this happen already on 360 with HD Collections and now we're seeing it in the next-gen consoles with things like Tomb Raider and (on PS4) Last of Us.

Need mo' cheddah.

Now to be fair, HD collections do offer something new, because they're giving you improvements upon the original games. However as you say, they're now releasing PS4 versions of last gen games, with barely anything changed at all.

If they are ever going to implement it, the Xbox 360 sales will plummet, but Xbox One sales will fly up so fast it would get best selling console of all time award or something like that.
Having no backwards compatibility and getting a bigger box than the 360 is why sales are not as impressive. It just makes more sense to bring backwards compatibility to a newly released console that doesn't have many games, especially that are any good. Sony is doing it, so should Microsoft.

I doubt it. There isn't a huge gap between the 360 and XB1 in performance so I don't think it's actually possible.

I doubt it. There isn't a huge gap between the 360 and XB1 in performance so I don't think it's actually possible.

Wouldn't that make it all the more possible? As long as they're not working on emulation that is.

Wouldn't that make it all the more possible? As long as they're not working on emulation that is.

I mean, there isn't a big difference in power. Emulation in it's nature is VERY cpu consuming and without enough of an overhead it's just not possible to emulate at a fast enough speed.

I mean, there isn't a big difference in power. Emulation in it's nature is VERY cpu consuming and without enough of an overhead it's just not possible to emulate at a fast enough speed.
I get that. But you wouldn't need to use emulation, you could just use allow the disc drive to recognise and play 360 games.

I get that. But you wouldn't need to use emulation, you could just use allow the disc drive to recognise and play 360 games.

Yeah.. you do.

The only reason it didn't work that way with the Wii and gamecube even though they were close in performance is because they are nearly identical in parts it's just the parts in the wii have more memory and more speed. When you play an original XBOX game on 360 it's being emulated. When you play a PS1 game on a PS2 it's emulated.

It's Emulation.

And it needs alot of power in order to achieve well.
That's why original xbox games on disc on 360 were a bit glitchy and had slowdowns..

Yeah.. you do.

The only reason it didn't work that way with the Wii and gamecube even though they were close in performance is because they are nearly identical in parts it's just the parts in the wii have more memory and more speed. When you play an original XBOX game on 360 it's being emulated. When you play a PS1 game on a PS2 it's emulated.

It's Emulation.

And it needs alot of power in order to achieve well.
That's why original xbox games on disc on 360 were a bit glitchy and had slowdowns..

The 360 used emulation for original xbox games, but the PS2 didn't. The reason the PS2 was able to play certain PS1 games is because the system architecture was so similar. They weren't being emulated, they were just being played.

All you need to do is design a console to be forward compatible, and design your new console to be backwards compatible also.

The 360 used emulation for original xbox games, but the PS2 didn't. The reason the PS2 was able to play certain PS1 games is because the system architecture was so similar. They weren't being emulated, they were just being played.

All you need to do is design a console to be forward compatible, and design your new console to be backwards compatible also.

NOPE NOPE NOPE. That is not correct at ALL. The PS2 had a VERY different architecture. It's not about design it's about CODE and PHYSICAL HARDWARE. First few models of PS3 had PS2 Parts in them for HARDWARE Backwards compatibility. The Later model were all SOFTWARE emulation. The PS1's specs were TINY and were EXTREMELY easy to emulate on the PS2. Do some research.. The PS2 used a very odd hardware setup which was very different from the PS1. The specifically made sure that they could add it yes but it was still EMULATION.

NOPE NOPE NOPE. That is not correct at ALL. The PS2 had a VERY different architecture. It's not about design it's about CODE and PHYSICAL HARDWARE. First few models of PS3 had PS2 Parts in them for HARDWARE Backwards compatibility. The Later model were all SOFTWARE emulation. The PS1's specs were TINY and were EXTREMELY easy to emulate on the PS2. Do some research.. The PS2 used a very odd hardware setup which was very different from the PS1. The specifically made sure that they could add it yes but it was still EMULATION.

I have done my research, and yes it is about the way you design your console in the first place. The firmware across the different PS3 models, or even the PS2 models were very much the same. As you say however, you need the hardware for compatibility. Which means you need to include hardware for backwards compatibility, which they're not putting into the PS4 or the Xbone.

As you say, the later PS3 models used software emulation, but this was only in relation to games you bought off of PSN. You couldn't put a disk into your later model PS3 and have it work.

So if they had shipped the Xbone or PS4 with the hardware of the previous gen included then we could play last gen games. But they haven't. And now they're trying to bring out software emulation because they know that they can have us pay twice for the same game. Once for the physical copy, and then second for the software download because they wanted the extra money.

They didn't include the hardware for backwards compatibility because they realised that they'd be able to bring out software emulation, which would restrict what games you could play to games which you bought again

I have done my research, and yes it is about the way you design your console in the first place. The firmware across the different PS3 models, or even the PS2 models were very much the same. As you say however, you need the hardware for compatibility. Which means you need to include hardware for backwards compatibility, which they're not putting into the PS4 or the Xbone.

As you say, the later PS3 models used software emulation, but this was only in relation to games you bought off of PSN. You couldn't put a disk into your later model PS3 and have it work.

So if they had shipped the Xbone or PS4 with the hardware of the previous gen included then we could play last gen games. But they haven't. And now they're trying to bring out software emulation because they know that they can have us pay twice for the same game. Once for the physical copy, and then second for the software download because they wanted the extra money.

They didn't include the hardware for backwards compatibility because they realized that they'd be able to bring out software emulation, which would restrict what games you could play to games which you bought again

I know all that though. I'm seriously doubting the ability of them to emulate their predecessors well. Why do you think we have something like PS NOW? It's a poor substitute for true backwards compatibility. Also, the recompiling of code in real time that you have to do in emulation has a huge overhead alot of the time especially when the console/hardware is very very different.. I agree with the possibility of them MAYBE holding back emulation for reselling of old games but I'm just not sure.

We're not going to have backwards compatibility anytime soon. As long as the 360 is still active and having games developed for itself, then backwards compatibility will stay on the back burner. Only when the 360 stops being highly profitable for Microsoft with the company choose to develop and enable backwards compatibility. I'm sure it won't be too difficult to implement, but that won't stop the company from waiting to pull the trigger on this feature. Don't expect it any time soon!

Video game studios have gotten better at making us pay twice for the same game, or a similar game with a handful of minor upgrades. But hey, the video gaming community as a whole has shown a willingness to purchase these updated titles, whether or not they're actually worth the price tag.

Video game studios have gotten better at making us pay twice for the same game, or a similar game with a handful of minor upgrades. But hey, the video gaming community as a whole has shown a willingness to purchase these updated titles, whether or not they're actually worth the price tag.

Mhmm, this is true. Even if we call them out on just releasing the same thing over and over again, our actions suggest that not only are we okay with this, but that we're more than willing to applaud them for doing so.

Back