Xbox One Is backward compatibility in the works?

I'd not be surprised in the least. However, also don't be surprised if it only comes in the form of downloadable games.

So if you've bought anything on the store, then it should still be available. (maybe an upgrade fee?)

But I'd not count on discs working.

The reason I think they'd go this route is that if they went disc, it wouldn't push us in the digital direction they are wanting us to go.

For me, I only stay disc because if I wanna play locally and my net is down (barring multiplayer), I can. I can also sell it when done or trade it in. With digital, that's simply not possible. Now if they fix that..and there's something akin to GameStop or better for digital...then I'd definitely experiment with it.

I'd not be surprised in the least. However, also don't be surprised if it only comes in the form of downloadable games.

So if you've bought anything on the store, then it should still be available. (maybe an upgrade fee?)

But I'd not count on discs working.

The reason I think they'd go this route is that if they went disc, it wouldn't push us in the digital direction they are wanting us to go.

For me, I only stay disc because if I wanna play locally and my net is down (barring multiplayer), I can. I can also sell it when done or trade it in. With digital, that's simply not possible. Now if they fix that..and there's something akin to GameStop or better for digital...then I'd definitely experiment with it.

I dont see it because of the technology that is being involved. I mean of course everyone wants to be able to play 360 games on the xb1. The concept of next gen is what they are implementing. I could see it in the store like you said but not in disc form.

Personally, I don't think MS is too concerned about backwards compatibility. They have bigger things to worry about other than BC. It would be nice and I'm sure there is a small division looking into this functionality, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

J

I think Backwards Compatibility is an eventual guarantee, but I doubt it's a priority at the moment. We'll get it late in the console's development cycle when sales are starting to taper off because gamers are waiting for the next big console. I don't see that happening in the next two or three years. I mean, the 360 and PS3 were around for quite some time before the next gen consoles were even announced. It's going to be a long wait before backwards compatibility comes around.

If this does happen I will feel like an idiot for selling all my Xbox games to get the One. :p But I guess they will go for pretty cheap, so it won't be too much of a hassle to buy the games I really enjoyed back again.
Trying to think of some Xbox games that I really enjoyed playing and would like to re-run through, but I can't really think of any at the moment. Maybe Skyrim, and Gotham City Impostors. I might have to run through my achievement list and see what games I played over the last few years, because i'm drawing a blank. :p
Would definitely be an awesome feature though.

You can bet as soon as Sony figures out a way then MS will not be far behind.

I think Backwards Compatibility is an eventual guarantee, but I doubt it's a priority at the moment. We'll get it late in the console's development cycle when sales are starting to taper off because gamers are waiting for the next big console. I don't see that happening in the next two or three years. I mean, the 360 and PS3 were around for quite some time before the next gen consoles were even announced. It's going to be a long wait before backwards compatibility comes around.

I don't understand why they are starting this trend of debating whether or not to include it as its been a long time tradition. The excuse tends to blame pirating which I'm not excusing and various DRM issues, but I don't really believe it. Also even if HD remakes or any kind of compilation of a game is released I doubt that Backwards Compatibility is going to impact the sales especially when the developers are sure to include bonus material.

I think it has more to do with $$$ than anything.

If on release, the Xbox One could play all the 360 games, imagine the loss in game sales that would happen.
I bought 9 games myself in the first few weeks and probably would have only bought 1-2 if I could still play all
the 360 games on it.

Back