Xbox One Lack of DVR control is disappointing

Segm3nt

...nbcnews.com/technology/xbox-one-wants-take-over-your-living-room-8C11558274... (cant post links yet, need 25 posts)

read this article and similars like it and one thing stuck out; X1 will not control your TV's DVR or allow you to access your recorded TV shows. I'd hope at least X1 have its own DVR for TV recording to cloud or something. But it watches TV, DVR it doesnt do well for TV.

Wth MS!

Doesnt change my mind on buying X1, I am disappointed though and hope they work out something.

Last edited by a moderator:
No disappointment here.

Try thinking of it more this way, its a GREAT start that nothing else can even compare to and the future will come a lot more.

"Xbox On".

No disappointment here.

Try thinking of it more this way, its a GREAT start that nothing else can even compare to and the future will come a lot more.

"Xbox On".

That is my opinion, it will get better, its just disappointing. I live by my DVR use. I am sure they will work on that aspect of it.

I was kinda waiting to hear if the XB1 would use its DVR capabilities for cable boxes as well... It's all good. I had a feeling it wasn't going to happen.

J

I was kinda waiting to hear if the XB1 would use its DVR capabilities for cable boxes as well... It's all good. I had a feeling it wasn't going to happen.

J

...nbcnews.com/technology/xbox-one-wants-take-over-your-living-room-8C11558274... (cant post links yet, need 25 posts)

read this article and similars like it and one thing stuck out; X1 will not control your TV's DVR or allow you to access your recorded TV shows. I'd hope at least X1 have its own DVR for TV recording to cloud or something. But it watches TV, DVR it doesnt do well for TV.

Wth MS!

Doesnt change my mind on buying X1, I am disappointed though and hope they work out something.

Controlling the DVR is not possible because the only pass through into the device is the HDMI which would not allow for it.

Controlling the DVR is not possible because the only pass through into the device is the HDMI which would not allow for it.

Thanks for editing my topic. Makes more sense. Couldn't they have a DVR record the input from the X1 itself though and just rid my TV DVR? Seems like the technogly is there...

Thanks for editing my topic. Makes more sense. Couldn't they have a DVR record the input from the X1 itself though and just rid my TV DVR? Seems like the technogly is there...

If they did that then it would run into storage issues. I think the X1 is just the bridge that seamlessly attachs your games, tv, music, and entertainment apps togeter. Not essentually a DVR box.

If they did that then it would run into storage issues. I think the X1 is just the bridge that seamlessly attachs your games, tv, music, and entertainment apps togeter. Not essentually a DVR box.
Exactly. This would be my thought as to why they didnt. You would need at the very least a TB HDD to get that to be efficient and that would raise the price significantly.

Exactly. This would be my thought as to why they didnt. You would need at the very least a TB HDD to get that to be efficient and that would raise the price significantly.

What about this amazing cloud MS has? I mean streaming is a thing... why not record, upload to cloud? Stream my dvr'd shows?

What about this amazing cloud MS has? I mean streaming is a thing... why not record, upload to cloud? Stream my dvr'd shows?

The cloud was ment for game expierences, not to put your tv shows on it lol.

The cloud was ment for game expierences, not to put your tv shows on it lol.

Ok, fair enough... what about plugging in an external HD? Im saying I want a DVR in with my xbox for the future if I am going to use the live tv feature.... honestly... unless I am watching sports, I DVR shows I watch. If a new show is coming out, I set my dvr to record it. I rarely watch TV live.

Ok, fair enough... what about plugging in an external HD? Im saying I want a DVR in with my xbox for the future if I am going to use the live tv feature.... honestly... unless I am watching sports, I DVR shows I watch. If a new show is coming out, I set my dvr to record it. I rarely watch TV live.

That actually is a good idea. Since the XB1 technically can use an external drive, why not allow it to do so.

J

That actually is a good idea. Since the XB1 technically can use an external drive, why not allow it to do so.

J

Try it out now. I know my parents DVR has a USB port. If you cant, then thats the cable company that u would wanna get ahold of

Try it out now. I know my parents DVR has a USB port. If you cant, then thats the cable company that u would wanna get ahold of

I think our point is, we truly want the x1 to be a one in all system... I want it to be my one stop shop.

I think our point is, we truly want the x1 to be a one in all system... I want it to be my one stop shop.

Then you have to look at licenses issues. I dont think cable companies like Comcast or WOW! will let you take shows off of THEIR hardware. I know you probably can with PC but this is different. They always marketed as Live tv or just tv. Who knows, maybe they will add sometype of DVR function somehwere down the line.

I was thinking about the license issue thing, but TIVO must get around that somehow, right. Maybe MS can do something along the lines of TIVO and let us use an external HDD for storage. It would be pretty cool. I would be willing to pay extra for DVR functionality if I could get rid of the one on my FIos box.

I was thinking about the license issue thing, but TIVO must get around that somehow, right. Maybe MS can do something along the lines of TIVO and let us use an external HDD for storage. It would be pretty cool. I would be willing to pay extra for DVR functionality if I could get rid of the one on my FIos box.

Amen. Amen. Amen.

if I had to guess, I'd say this will come.... first they will lower the cost of manufacturing on the x1 itself, them they will find a way to make dvR's compatible with the x1. I doubt very much they will turn the x1 itself into a dvr as this will cause issues with the cable company revenue's thus limiting they're desire to work with ms in these tv and guide features

I am not positive about this, but doesn't the Xbox One have a place to hookup an ir blaster, so down the road, it could control everything I think.

Put the ir blaster in front of your DVR and anything the DVR can do, "technically" the Xbox One should be able to tell it to do with the right programming.

Back