Xbox One Lack of DVR control is disappointing

I am not positive about this, but doesn't the Xbox One have a place to hookup an ir blaster, so down the road, it could control everything I think.

Put the ir blaster in front of your DVR and anything the DVR can do, "technically" the Xbox One should be able to tell it to do with the right programming.

IR blaster is part of the kinect? I hope to hide my FIOS DVR Box. So yeah... getting more disappointed. Are we positive that things are being controlled through the IR blaster? I havent read anything stating the Live TV feature is controlled that way and through all of the demo's I have yet to see a TV box needing to be there... we are assuming its controlled through IR blasting.

IE

Look at the xbox one demo (meet xbox one) on the xbox website. No TV Box.

I looked last night and on the back of the Xbox One, there is a port called "ir out".

If could also mean and I am "guessing", we could attach ir blaster eyes and attach them directly to devices so the Xbox One could control it.
You could put your DVR anywhere as long as the wire would reach.

I looked last night and on the back of the Xbox One, there is a port called "ir out".

If could also mean and I am "guessing", we could attach ir blaster eyes and attach them directly to devices so the Xbox One could control it.
You could put your DVR anywhere as long as the wire would reach.

interesting, not saying you are wrong, but I hope you are right.

It does. I guess we'll know next week!

J

Do you guys know if the hdmi pass though works if the xbox is off? Like if I have my sat reciever in there I could just turn off the xbox and still watch tv through the pass through? That would be nice then I could turn it off and have function of my dvr and still only run one hdmi to my tv....

Do you guys know if the hdmi pass though works if the xbox is off? Like if I have my sat reciever in there I could just turn off the xbox and still watch tv through the pass through? That would be nice then I could turn it off and have function of my dvr and still only run one hdmi to my tv....

Won't work that way.

It's sad they designed it like that as a lot of modern receivers allow standby passthrough

Well I'm not 100% but from what I found so far it doesn't appear to be an option. Probably because the idea is for you to use their interface.

Yeah that makes sense. It sure would be nice though. My wife's a dvr queen and hates switching inputs.

If you want to just watch TV and not use the Xbox controls, just leave it on and use your remote.
It will work the same way as if not connected thru the Xbox One.

If you want to just watch TV and not use the Xbox controls, just leave it on and use your remote.

Yeah, it almost seems as if there is no reason to consider turning off your game system. However, hopefully it won't overheat being on all the time.

J

How? It's overlayed with Microsoft stuff. It seems it won't let me search through the dvr and scedule and play recording.

How? It's overlayed with Microsoft stuff. It seems it won't let me search through the dvr and scedule and play recording.

Yea, I agree. I don't think it's possible. At least that's my understanding.

You say "Xbox watch TV". Then it shows only your TV screen and you use your DVR remote like normal.
I could still be wrong, but I think your DVR remote will work the same way as if not going thru the Xbox
One from what I can see.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/79306/xbox-one-does-not-provide-any-built-in-dvr-capabilities

Not much DVR support

Seeing the OneGuide in action for live TV is pretty impressive; it lets you browse TV listings using voice and the controller much faster than a standard cable box. But when it comes to DVR control, the Xbox One is a lot less capable.

Xbox One OneGuide
OneGuide
(Credit: Microsoft)

For example, it's easy to track down a program airing later in the day using OneGuide, but once you find it, there's no way for the Xbox One to schedule a recording -- you need to pick up your cable box remote.

Similarly, OneGuide doesn't know what's currently in your DVR, so if you tell Kinect to find that episode of "Parks and Recreation" you recorded last night, you'll come up empty. You can always switch over to your standard cable box remote to deal with DVR content, but that's well short of the "single user interface" that the Xbox One is aiming to be.

IR blasting works with TVs, cable box, and AV receivers

The Xbox One controls the rest of your home theater gear using an integrated IR blaster, similar to how Logitech's Harmony Smart Control works. The Xbox representative actually name-checked Harmony a few times, and it's an apt comparison, as during the initial setup you'll need to enter the model number of your TV, amp, and cable box so they can be controlled.

You say "Xbox watch TV". Then it shows only your TV screen and you use your DVR remote like normal.
I could still be wrong, but I think your DVR remote will work the same way as if not going thru the Xbox
One from what I can see.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/79306/xbox-one-does-not-provide-any-built-in-dvr-capabilities

Not much DVR support

Seeing the OneGuide in action for live TV is pretty impressive; it lets you browse TV listings using voice and the controller much faster than a standard cable box. But when it comes to DVR control, the Xbox One is a lot less capable.

Xbox One OneGuide
OneGuide
(Credit: Microsoft)

For example, it's easy to track down a program airing later in the day using OneGuide, but once you find it, there's no way for the Xbox One to schedule a recording -- you need to pick up your cable box remote.

Similarly, OneGuide doesn't know what's currently in your DVR, so if you tell Kinect to find that episode of "Parks and Recreation" you recorded last night, you'll come up empty. You can always switch over to your standard cable box remote to deal with DVR content, but that's well short of the "single user interface" that the Xbox One is aiming to be.

IR blasting works with TVs, cable box, and AV receivers

The Xbox One controls the rest of your home theater gear using an integrated IR blaster, similar to how Logitech's Harmony Smart Control works. The Xbox representative actually name-checked Harmony a few times, and it's an apt comparison, as during the initial setup you'll need to enter the model number of your TV, amp, and cable box so they can be controlled.

That does make sense, just wish I could see it in action to be sure.

Xbox one have a DR for Cable?

I know that you can watch your cable through the xbox. But what if you have a DVR for cable? Also how do you watch on demand from cable on the xbox and so on

i would assume their is a channel for on demand stuff. similar to a cable box setup... if you lok around 1800+ it is ppv stuff. im not sure how the movie on demand would work

as far as controlling dvr stuff xb1 does not support it on its own hd so one would assume you would have to use the set top box/cable box to get dvr and proably watch dvr stuff thru that box..

it is a good question tho.

Back