Xbox 360 Microsoft pledges 3 more years of support for Xbox 360

jstep

Former Moderator
From
The D
Great news for those of you that don't plan on switching up to the next gen systems anytime soon.It's great to hear that Microsoft is staying dedicated to their loyal fan base, realizing that not everyone is going to be purchasing an Xbox One on day one, or even year one. Kokatu reports that Sony is planning on supporting the PS3 similarly, although I wasn't able to find an estimation of new titles that they were going to bring to the PS3 after launch.

"We're going to continue to invest in Xbox 360, and the two devices can work in concert. So it's not like the day we ship Xbox One your 360 won't work. We'll continue to support it."It's unclear as to how else Microsoft plans to "support" the Xbox 360, though later in the Q&A session, picked up on byEurogamer, Mehdi mentioned that more than 100 new games are going to ship for the older system.
All of this backs up earlier statements by Microsoft in which it promised to stay committed to Xbox 360 for "years" to come.

via TechRadar

Excellent news! I was afraid that they'd forget about the 360 after a year or two. Having a least 3 years of commitment unburdens a lot of people how cannot afford the next gen right away. That being said, I wonder how many game developers will release 360 and XboxOne versions of games and for how long.

This is great news for me. I don't plan on getting an Xbox One just yet, it's too expensive at release. I was thinking along the lines of waiting maybe a year to a year and half when the price drops a bit. Even though I can afford it on release, I feel like it's a waste of money since games will be on both consoles for a while. I might as well juice all I have on my Xbox 360.

Hmm.. I don't see that happening. I would be really disappointed iff it happens as the current gen consoles are going to ho;d next gen consoles back.

Well atleast they will support it and are letting us know ahead of time. Would suck if all the sudden, OK thats it! No more support! lol. Good news for 360 oweners though.

Hmm.. I don't see that happening. I would be really disappointed iff it happens as the current gen consoles are going to ho;d next gen consoles back.

I agree, this is going to slow down the evolution of next gen consoles. Games will be developed for 360 and then just have graphics revamped....

I agree, this is going to slow down the evolution of next gen consoles. Games will be developed for 360 and then just have graphics revamped....

Maybe in the beginning but further down the road it will pick up I think

We have to put up with that. Just 3 more years.

Video games are still a business and Microsoft knows that a huge portion of their market will still be on the 360. You all will just have to put up with it, it really won't be too bad.

It's good news for people who want to keep their 360, but it's not really a good idea from a business standpoint. All it'll do is encourage gamers to stay on current gen rather than making the jump to next-gen, which will probably hurt their console and game sales right out of the gate.

It's good news for people who want to keep their 360, but it's not really a good idea from a business standpoint. All it'll do is encourage gamers to stay on current gen rather than making the jump to next-gen, which will probably hurt their console and game sales right out of the gate.

The 360 is a cash cow and is going to have plenty more consumers than the XB1 for at least the next year or two. Unlike the XB1, the 360 was not profitable from the start. it didn't turn profit until 2008 and since then its been nothing but profit.

The 360 is a cash cow and is going to have plenty more consumers than the XB1 for at least the next year or two. Unlike the XB1, the 360 was not profitable from the start. it didn't turn profit until 2008 and since then its been nothing but profit.

Well I would certainly hope that once it starts turning a profit it wouldn't suddenly stop. I'm saying, if the Xbox 360 is going to have many more consumers, that naturally will hurt the Xbox One's profitability. I'm just saying, from a business standpoint, they shouldn't really announce support for the Xbox 360 because it'll just encourage people to not make the switch. It's a conflicting message, is all.

Probably they are just going to release the same games from the next generation to this generation,because all they need to do is to change a few things, and there you have it. And i think 3 years is still too much, the maximum they will give will be around one year and half.

It will take some time for devs to become fully familiar with the new SDKs for the One, so this is great news.

They need to phase the 360 out as soon as possible, in my opinion. But, since it will probably be about three years before a price drop on Microsoft's end, I guess this is a good enough time frame. What they really need to do is make certain games from developers only available on the One. That will speed up the process for quite a few.

They need to phase the 360 out as soon as possible, in my opinion. But, since it will probably be about three years before a price drop on Microsoft's end, I guess this is a good enough time frame. What they really need to do is make certain games from developers only available on the One. That will speed up the process for quite a few.

I do agree. I remember Peter Moore stating why they stopped on the Original Xbox was "Out with the old, in with the new" I agree 100% BUT if they are getting ALOT of progit from the 360...then a couple more years wont help.

Disagree. Don't bite the hand that feeds you. 360 is a cash cow and they will milk it.

Disagree. Don't bite the hand that feeds you. 360 is a cash cow and they will milk it.

But, if the One is already coming out of the gate breaking even or drawing a profit, then there is no reason to waste time with old technology. You want your user base to move onto your digital store and increasing their usage of your console in their home through all of the apps that you've developed solely for the One.

Judging from Microsoft's PA game, 'bite the hand that feeds you' appears to be a company motto.

Not sure what that's suppose to mean? If you are referring to you resent to the company for is Always Online DRM, I didn't mind it as its basic forward thinking and I personally feel the future possibilities out weigh any complaint I might have. I understand not everyone has high speed internet, but as somebody who does I didn't see the big deal. I'm always connected regardless. People don't like change, I get it.

But, if the One is already coming out of the gate breaking even or drawing a profit, then there is no reason to waste time with old technology. You want your user base to move onto your digital store and increasing their usage of your console in their home through all of the apps that you've developed solely for the One.

True, but you don't want to ostracize an entire demographic. Some people have only just dove into the 360 and while they have a near-infinite backlog they probably still want new support for a while. Don't forget that some developers have games in production and also that Microsoft took a hit of backlash when they stopped support for the Original Xbox. Not everyone can afford a new console anytime soon, some may wait years to jump in.

Back