Xbox One Microsoft's Secret (UNKNOWN HARDWARE) Weapon

Ag3nt1

I have been following this for the past month. Apparently there is some sort of secrecy going around with the X1 and it's "hardware". This is not about the dGPU, it's beyond that. I wanted to share this with you guys so that maybe we can all discuss this further, and get more in depth about it. It looks like some extremely interesting stuff here, and I would really like you guys to read it, and tell me your thoughts about it. Some of you may know about this site, and some of you may not.. but, I am dying to talk about this with people in this community. have a look!

http://misterxmedia.livejournal.com/

I have been following this for the past month. Apparently there is some sort of secrecy going around with the X1 and it's "hardware". This is not about the dGPU, it's beyond that. I wanted to share this with you guys so that maybe we can all discuss this further, and get more in depth about it. It looks like some extremely interesting stuff here, and I would really like you guys to read it, and tell me your thoughts about it. Some of you may know about this site, and some of you may not.. but, I am dying to talk about this with people in this community. have a look!

http://misterxmedia.livejournal.com/

I don't know that I would trust Penello as the source. He is not a tech guy, he is a PR guy. That said I don't know why Microsoft keeps talking about this. They have weaker hardware, there is no denying it. Show us the games. Give us a reason that you are making everyone pay for Kinect. That's what they need to concentrate on.

...it's a second Kinect.

No, seriously now, there is a lot of stuff talked about it that i don't understand, so i will leave that to the pros, but if the guy that came with the theories also made a image like this, i don't know if i can trust the guy
68414_original.jpg

There is no second GPU. There is exactly one component that is mildly faster on the PS4. The GPU. However the X1 has faster CPU, GPGPU, and memory(The memory system is 300% faster than the PS4 memory system). Plus the X1 one has processing cores that have no parallel on on the PS4. The X1 has the Shape audio core, a specialized physics core, Finally, the X1 has one whole processing subsytem that does nothing but make sure every cache is filled and flushed as they need it, freeing the CPU's from this task.

When you realize that the PS4 ~had to~ add the GDDR5 to get close to the memory system on the X1, and that it is in fact the GDDR5 on the PS4 that is the huge compromise, it starts to make sense why all the PS4 games that people play at cons look like A$$, while people are being blown away by what they see when they play X1 games. This was all covered at the Hotchips expo.

Yes, if all games are is pushing triangles to the frame buffer then yes, the PS4 has a mild advantage. (But that is only in cases where you didn't want to do a deferred rendering step) in every other way the X1 is the superior console. That is why Sony is talking up their one single advantage.

Even if you were to believe the most ridiculous Sony fanboy claim of 50% (See Edge article...) that is a minor advantage. That would be a X1 game getting 30fps, where the Sony game gets 45fps... Assuming the game ran no simulation code...

In real life (as opposed to the make believe one that certain segments of the VGF community live in) the X1 games will look better and perform better all the time.

I think we need to temper our expectations on this. People on other forums have claimed that there is a different GPU in the system than was being talked about, and this supposed NDA lifting was going to allow Microsoft to announce it at the end of the month and then "unlock" the drivers and features for it.

And some people actually believe it. There is going to be a lot of disappointed people at the end of the month when there is no supercharger in the console.

And why does it need it? The games look great! Ryse and Forza are 1080p native and Forza runs 60fps. And those are launch games.

I guess I'm getting tired of reading that because the PS4 has a better GPU in it and GDDR5 memory in it that somehow this makes the Xbox One a hunk of crap made by Fisher Price. It's ridiculous.

It's a damn powerful machine in it's own right, and I know I'm not going to be thinking about T3H FL0PPZ and T3H DDRZ when I'm playing Dead Rising 3.

I hear ya and ill be right there killing zombies with ya!

its way to much info to process lol.

its a good read but it goes back to the recent interniew compairing a porsche to a corvette.. the porsche is faster with less power because everything works together better. idk how all that works but obviously their modded ddr3 is on par with sony's ddr5 because their is cross platform games. if ps4 was far superior 50% worth than their could not be cross platform games.. and it wouldnt make financial sense to build 2 seperate games.

think in terms of pc games if one system is 50% more powerful odds are you can clearly see graphics,processing,game speed lacking on the slower one. allot of your cross platform games have been shown on the xb1 or the pc version of it. bf4,cod,ac4 are all being shown on the xb1 system or are talked about.

for people saying the cpu is like the next kinect/spy get over it.. if your iphone/windows/blackberry/android can give them all your info so can ps4/ps3/xbox one/360

Well it looks like they just updated the site with more information today.. This is why I wanted to talk about this with you guys, because it's a bit complicated to just figure out on your own. When I go to the site, and read everything, the numbers start looking like Japanese Geometry to me. Plus if there really is a "NDA" going on at this time! How can we be so sure to say that there isn't? How can we be so sure? I guess we really aren't going to know the truth by the end of the month when "supposedly" the NDA gets lifted. If there is something else hiding under the hood "GREAT", and if there isn't, I am still going to be a very happy and proud owner of the X1. However, I can't help how interesting the interview is.

Well it looks like they just updated the site with more information today.. This is why I wanted to talk about this with you guys, because it's a bit complicated to just figure out on your own. When I go to the site, and read everything, the numbers start looking like Japanese Geometry to me. Plus if there really is a "NDA" going on at this time! How can we be so sure to say that there isn't? How can we be so sure? I guess we really aren't going to know the truth by the end of the month when "supposedly" the NDA gets lifted. If there is something else hiding under the hood "GREAT", and if there isn't, I am still going to be a very happy and proud owner of the X1. However, I can't help how interesting the interview is.

my cousin builds computers for a big farm(Pharmaceutical) and would understand it but really it goes under the their is 1000 ways to skin a cat... you end up at the end product. both ps4 and xb1 have to fall into similar lines for it to work.

Well I know "ONE" thing is for sure (no pun intended). That "EDGE" is making every effort to make X1 look like a piece of garbage, and making every effort to make PS4 look like the KING. Isn't it part of the companies job to make sure to "always keep things neutral"? I know that I can't read anything from EDGE Magazine anymore because it's bias to me. I want real information, not efforts to bring down a company just because your still "mad about old policies".

I honestly have to admit that I only read this thread because - it had secret in the line and was posted by an Agent. It had to be read. That said as far as multiplatform gaming goes none of this stuff is really going to matter. In terms of exclusives - well it might matter more, but if you don't actually care about the other system's exclusives then it is still a moot point. Either way I'm kind of tired of all the sniping between groups. Although any snipe war that mostly consists of scraped together images is going to be at least somewhat amusing.

...it's a second Kinect.

No, seriously now, there is a lot of stuff talked about it that i don't understand, so i will leave that to the pros, but if the guy that came with the theories also made a image like this, i don't know if i can trust the guy
View attachment 2300
Words fail to express just how weird this console "war" thing is. It's a meaningless struggle. This image is someone feeling so strongly about competing entertainment companies that they can't even point the speech bubbles in any relevant direction.

Well I know "ONE" thing is for sure (no pun intended). That "EDGE" is making every effort to make X1 look like a piece of garbage, and making every effort to make PS4 look like the KING. Isn't it part of the companies job to make sure to "always keep things neutral"? I know that I can't read anything from EDGE Magazine anymore because it's bias to me. I want real information, not efforts to bring down a company just because your still "mad about old policies".

Couldn't agree more with this. I have lost a lot of respect for Edge recently.

They are more biased than Official Playstation Magazine or Official Xbox Magazine.

I don't know why people are even talking about this anymore. We pretty much know nothing about how each hardware performs. Some people say the PS4 performs better, some people say otherwise. We really have no idea. I mean, hell, it probably isn't even going to make a difference. We can see it with the current-gen stuff. Some games perform really well on the PS3, whereas others do not. Some games perform really well on the Xbox 360, whereas others do not. It isn't about the hardware, it's about the competence of the developer working with it.

Is anyone else catching that this utilizes memory pools, and each pool has 4 channels? This is *not* typical for most computers, and is used often in high-load server situations.
If I understand this correctly, the average chunk of memory only has one channel per - meaning it's an ebb and flow (one function must complete and be sent out before the next can come in, creating bottle neck).
From what I can gather, this has 4 channels per...meaning much less bottle-neck and better for large amounts of data pushing/crunching.

Someone pinch me...anyone else seeing this?

Is anyone else catching that this utilizes memory pools, and each pool has 4 channels? This is *not* typical for most computers, and is used often in high-load server situations.
If I understand this correctly, the average chunk of memory only has one channel per - meaning it's an ebb and flow (one function must complete and be sent out before the next can come in, creating bottle neck).
From what I can gather, this has 4 channels per...meaning much less bottle-neck and better for large amounts of data pushing/crunching.

Someone pinch me...anyone else seeing this?

You read it!!! Yeah I've read that part too. Awesome stuff, I guess we will find out by the end of next week when the NDA lifts.

I sure hope so! hehe!!

Had to confirm I wasn't dreaming and was indeed reading. :eek:

Well if you keep reading the articles, there is so much information that baffles me on what is real and not.

I found one more thing that ~might~ indicate there is more to be learned about the X1 soc.

Microsoft claims that there is 5 billion transistors on the X1 die.

Well from a little sleuthing around the internet...

The cpu portion of the chip is about 1.2 billion transistors.
The gpu portion of the chip is about 750 million transistors.
The ESRAM portion of the chip is about 1 billion transistors.

What do the missing 2 billion transistors do?

Back