Xbox One 'Next-Gen' Games Aren't selling that well on Amazon

silvananoir

That isn't to say that their bombing in sales but let's face it most of the big 'next-gen' titles are games that most of us already own on the PS3 or Xbox 360, so instead of purchasing new ones people are just buying the upgrades instead. So it makes sense that they aren't topping the charts compared to the consoles themselves. Also, I'd like to add that what games are available aren't exactly that interesting..

The reason for this is not that hard to understand, of course. The installed base of the new consoles isn’t very large yet despite the initial success, and when you gift something you won’t buy a game you’re not sure that he recipient owns the platform to play it. Since Xbox One and PS4 are still new, many still aren’t aware of whether their friends own them or not.

Source: DualShockers

I can totally understand why the games aren't doing well on Amazon wish lists. I agree that there aren't many outstanding and exciting launch games and why get games for a system that you can't get their hands on yet? I'm really hoping some exciting games come out soon.I was pretty bummed with Ryse. Great graphics but redundant gameplay. I want to see some more open world RPGs coming out. THOSE will make my Amazon wish list :)

allot of people are gojng digital you dont see the numbers microsoft has sold via app/download. having "disk" is ok but with no option minus xbox store to go digital the 3rd party stuf is taking a hit on sales.

allot of people are gojng digital you dont see the numbers microsoft has sold via app/download. having "disk" is ok but with no option minus xbox store to go digital the 3rd party stuf is taking a hit on sales.

Agreed. Ever since the NPD decided to take out digital sales, all we ever see is the sales of the disks. But we never get to see what sells digitally. That's why these reports about how next-gen isn't selling in one particular retailer doesn't always show the big picture.

That isn't to say that their bombing in sales but let's face it most of the big 'next-gen' titles are games that most of us already own on the PS3 or Xbox 360, so instead of purchasing new ones people are just buying the upgrades instead. So it makes sense that they aren't topping the charts compared to the consoles themselves. Also, I'd like to add that what games are available aren't exactly that interesting..

The PS4 and Xbox One are new after all. You can't expect them to have best-sellers at the moment. More and more consoles need to be sold so the install base can rise. And as sc_shark and thedoodseven said, how about the digital sales? We have no idea yet how much the games sold online and this news about next-gen games not selling well is only from Amazon. How about Target? Walmart? Lots of factors missing.

Yup, that's one factor they haven't added. Digital sales have been increasing month after month, so of course it looks like next-gen games aren't selling well --- retail-wise. Now if they include digital sales, then it'll paint a very different picture.

The consoles are just new, so you can't expect the next-gen games to sell well right away. Install base is still growing. And like what sc_shark says, we have to consider the digital sales too. It's still too early to tell you know.

It's the same if you go to a GameStop store. More people are buying a 360 game than a One game as there are so many more
360 users.

I was at GS and I was the only one even looking at the Xbox One games. Most were looking at used 360 games.

Well when you spend $500 on a console and probably some more on a spare controller and Xbox LIve, it's understandable if you decided to hold off on some games for the time being. Let's also not forget that all launch games are available digitally.

a bunch of games are avaliable and all are digital. the golf game,killer instinct,max are some titles that come to mind. i said before launch that the avalibility of digital sales will be the deciding factor at which 3rd party outlet can harness digital sales. i would have thought gamestop would have been more prepared with the drm and all digital ave that microsoft was pushing.

The new generation still has a weak game lineup. Most of the exclusives for both consoles aren't that good, and most people are still having fun with the previous consoles. This isn't that surprising to be honest.

This really comes off as a non-issue. It's not like X1 and PS4's launch games were 95% games you can't get on Gen7. That would've been mildly alarming: a bunch of games made specifically for Gen8 consoles, not available on the previous consoles, not doing well at all.

That would be alarming if all those glittery new games--making up the bulk of the newer consoles--dropped the ball and didn't deliver on sales as they should've. Instead it's mostly ports, so no big deal really.

Between both systems being new and a lot of the games are going digital, I'm not surprised. As the user base increases, this will probably change.

J

with 2 million+xbox ones in market this soon amazon and 3rd party retailers are just releasing negative press because they are not getting a piece of the pie. the first time you have to swap a cd/game your like dang this sucks when you could buy digitally and have access on the fly.

i would assume most every system on the market has 1-3 games installed minus the "free" one...

amazon and the 3r party people cant mark up games/systems we all know the price.. only thing they can do is have "sale" and with everything new its hard to get publishers on board with sales. the only big markdown so far was bf4 and that was during the glitch/issue time. minus general sale of game most of the "profit" is off dlc not the core game. so they get the big chunk in the first month and prey the dlc/season pass stuff is a big seller.

I can see why people would just want to upgrade instead of buying next gen. It is more cost saving and you get to play the same game. I think they need to entice buyers with exclusive content.

I think I mentioned this in another thread, but my opinion is that people are just biding their time until the console gets cheaper and the crowds calm down. I don't know why but it just seems like the only logical answer besides the new consoles actually being a flop.

I think I mentioned this in another thread, but my opinion is that people are just biding their time until the console gets cheaper and the crowds calm down. I don't know why but it just seems like the only logical answer besides the new consoles actually being a flop.

Since its launch 18 days ago, Xbox One is proving to be the must-have gift this holiday season with more than 2 million consoles sold through to consumers worldwide, averaging over 111,111 units sold per day – a record-setting pace for Xbox. Millions of fans around the world who have purchased Xbox One have shown incredible engagement with the all-in-one games and entertainment system, spending over 83 million hours in games, TV, and apps on Xbox One since the system launched on Nov. 22.
the next gen consoles are far from a flop... microsoft has sold over 2 million in 18 days..
http://news.xbox.com/2013/12/xbox-one-december-announcement

those numbers are far from a flop. they are record braking if anything.

Far, far from a flop. There's just nothing worth getting at the moment really, a thimble full of games for 8th generation and a bunch of "prettier" looking games that also happen to be on 7th generation consoles.

Back