Nintendo Wii Thoughts

The Wii was a weird one. I remember when it came out most people were talking about how it uses a gimmick and won't last long. The console turned out to be a lot better than expected and sold like crazy. Now, people call it a game changer and it has end up being slightly overrated. For my money it is a good console, no less and surely no more.

Kind of a silly console I think but overall I really enjoyed it considering it had quite a few games that I loved like Twilight (why play on GC mang?) and Dokapon which are tons of fun I think. Also it was backwards compatible which allowed me to play my GC games still without having to set the dang thing up.

Very advanced for its time, but now everybody taken their idea even further so its almost pointless to get.

I think Nintendo Wii has actually done surpising well given all of the rival consoles out there. Of course in one aspect, Wii is not being rivaled with the bigger consoles because the specs and price are quite different. I think Wii was quite unique, and still is. Personally I am not a fan of the Wii overall, it is a nice concept but doesn't compete with PS or Xbox.

I tend to play the 360 or PS3 over the Wii but I've enjoyed the games I played on it like Harvest Moon: Tree of Tranquility and some of the Mario games. It's a shame because I haven't touched it literally in months so sometimes I feel like it wasn't worth buying but I'm sure I'll go back to some of the games eventually, I always do!

Let me tell you straight up, its ok for kids.

Personally I think the console is more suited for e rated games and is mostly used by kids or moms that think they're cool.

Just an aside for those who consider the Wii a console for kids - do you actually own one? And if you do what games do you have for it? If you don't then how did you come to this particular stance? It's something I've always wondered.

I'm 23 years old and I have a feeling that I have played games longer than you've been alive? What are you basing this off of? Because it doesn't have great online? Really, enlighten me.

At 30 years old, and having played the NES while it was still thehot system on the block, i agree with the sentiment that I've probably played games longer than this guy has been alive.
The first two posts strike me as coming from someone who thinks if they dont have the goriest games they arent "cool". This person also probably thinks its cool to curse on xbox live.

Fact is, when i bought my GF the Wii, i ended up having more fun on it than id had on the XBox in a LONG time. The wii took games back to being fun but still challenging. Games nowadays try so hard to be realistic or gritty or hard that they arent always even fun anymore.

I WOULD say its MORE kid friendly than the other two, but the kids all end up thinking theyre too cool for the wii and go with a ps3 or xbox, then turn around and say the wii is only for kids...

I liked the Wii. I had more fun playing it with the family than I did trying to do the same with 360 or PS3. It also had a lot of good games on it, wasn't a beast like the PS3, never konked out on me like my 360 did. Like...well all of the Nintendo consoles I've owned (bar the DS with that hinge issue) it was dependable.

Loved the Wii. It was basically everything I wanted in a game console aside from no Fallout, Elder Scrolls, and those types of games. It got snubbed for not being as powerful, not having a lot of bells and whistles, and little third party support, but those are the things that made the Wii enjoyable to me. Nintendo has never really needed third party support to move consoles, they're the ones who get the job done with first party (granted they can get it out at launch), the best price tag, even though there were few online games you could go it for free, and didn't need lettuce and tomato on its burger to be a whole console.

It was a pure gaming home console. That's all it really did and needed to do. For its focus and its first party games it worked perfectly.

Wii is like the Motorhead of that generation. Sure it's pretty ugly looking, old compared to the spry Xbox 360 and lively PS3, and it goes with an "If it ain't broke don't fix it" attitude, but it was an innovator, it was consistent, and it was fun to enjoy any time material was put out from Nintendo...also like Motorhead the older stuff gets better with each spin and the new stuff has that distinctive flavor that is only Nintendo.

Back