Xbox One Play Your 360 via the Xbox One

KN1GHTMARE

Former Moderator
From
NJ
Website
socialclub.rockstargames.com
Major Nelson officially confirmed through his Pax Podcast that you will indeed be able to connect your 360 into the Xbox One and play via the XB1's interface. This feature was rumored amongst gamers for some time now, but its nice to have official confirmation. I for one won't be able to take advantage of this feature since the XB1 has only on HDMI in and I will be using it for my cable box, but I'm sure many will appreciate the ability to continue to play GTA 5 and the rest of the games into the next generation. Are any of you going to be using this feature?

Source: http://majornelson.com/cast/2013/09/01/pax-podcast-2013/

Interesting. I suppose one could consider this a form of backwards compatibility, but it honestly just strikes me as impractical. There's no real benefit to doing this other than not having to switch your input, I guess.

This sounds great! Now all I have to do is reconfigure what I was going to have as a set up. This is a great way to still have people use both consoles without feeling like they've abandoned a bunch of games. Although, I guess this means that there are either no plans or a delay in plans in making 360 games downloadable or ported to the One.

It sounds interesting, though I'm not really sure I'd do it.

this was discussed early in the xb1 release.. i think its ok but dont think it will catch on much.

Interesting. I suppose one could consider this a form of backwards compatibility, but it honestly just strikes me as impractical. There's no real benefit to doing this other than not having to switch your input, I guess.

Does the XB1 not have backwards compatibility? It seems like a hassle to hook up your 360 when the current-gen hardware should already support those games. This doesn't strike me as a selling point, more like trying to reverse a mistake to pander to consumer complaints.

Does the XB1 not have backwards compatibility? It seems like a hassle to hook up your 360 when the current-gen hardware should already support those games. This doesn't strike me as a selling point, more like trying to reverse a mistake to pander to consumer complaints.

Neither console is backwards compatible. Both said possibly in the future through streaming abilities. To put backwards compatibility would have jacked up the price way too much, even if was just an emulator. Think 60gb PS3....

I don't now if I would do it. I guess it is a nice feature to have, but it sort of defeats the purpose. It will take me a while to build up a collection of XBox One games, but in the meantime, I would probably rather just play the 360 the way it is.

This is becoming really interesting to me. For the past two or three years, all I ever read was people whining about the "next gen needs to come, these consoles are outdated." Now, the One has come out and was and is trying to do some really interesting things, but everyone is like, "no, I don't want to do all of that. It sounds so scary!"

Either you want the advancements or you don't, but please just get out of the way for the people that are ready to move on!

If they didn't provide this option, all the people that rush through games and beat them in three days would be complaining that there aren't enough new games. Now, you can hook up your 360 to your One, play on a better system with a better controller, interact with your 950 fake friends, you might actually know like 50 and still continue playing every game that you have in your home, new or old.

But, it's still not enough.

Folks, this is why Microsoft is trying to expand to the casual gamer and the media junkies, they see what is available, accept it and enjoy it. "Hardcore" gamers just find one thing after the other to whine about.

This is becoming really interesting to me. For the past two or three years, all I ever read was people whining about the "next gen needs to come, these consoles are outdated." Now, the One has come out and was and is trying to do some really interesting things, but everyone is like, "no, I don't want to do all of that. It sounds so scary!"

Either you want the advancements or you don't, but please just get out of the way for the people that are ready to move on!

If they didn't provide this option, all the people that rush through games and beat them in three days would be complaining that there aren't enough new games. Now, you can hook up your 360 to your One, play on a better system with a better controller, interact with your 950 fake friends, you might actually know like 50 and still continue playing every game that you have in your home, new or old.

Folks, this is why Microsoft is trying to expand to the casual gamer and the media junkies, they see what is available, accept it and enjoy it. "Hardcore" gamers just find one thing after the other to whine about.

man...well said mate!!!
joker-clap.gif

Thats how it is, They alwasy say they want games, they bring it, yet they still complain. It is what it is but atleast we are happy!!!

I will definitely be using this. Did they confirm if you can use the XB1 controller or do you have to use the old one?

This is another feature that I'm not sure will be utilized much. I really does seem impractical. Only a small amount of folks will have attachment issues with their 360's :p Well to a point where they would want to continue 'playing' it. Microsoft is giving the consumer many options which is great but I doubt this will matter much.

Honestly, I'd still rather backwards compatibility. Yay for Microsoft trying to compromise, but really? It's pretty inconvenient.
I'm not sure how many players will actually use this either. I'm sure a lot will but I'm not sure how many.

Someone did bring up a good point though, what controller would have to be used?

Okay that's great but it doesn't really change the fact that this feature is kind of pointless. Literally all it does is make switching between the consoles faster. If they really were trying to do something interesting, they should have actually added backwards compatibility, instead of just making a big deal out of letting us keep our old consoles and play our old games (???).

Okay that's great but it doesn't really change the fact that this feature is kind of pointless. Literally all it does is make switching between the consoles faster. If they really were trying to do something interesting, they should have actually added backwards compatibility, instead of just making a big deal out of letting us keep our old consoles and play our old games (???).

Backwards compatibility is expensive and becomes obsolete after some time

Backwards compatibility would be nice. As long as my current 360 holds up it isn't a big deal, but what if it dies? It can't be that difficult to create a 360 virtual machine inside of the OS to run old games. I know it still takes time and resources away from other things, but it still would be nice.

Wow, it's really intriguing. It will be interesting to see how it plays.

It means that I don't need to switch on my 360 anymore, right?

Back