Xbox One Preference: Digital or disc?

I used to just play a game through and then sell it for a good price. But nowadays people don't pay that much for used games, so I don't see that point anymore.

The prices you get when you trade in games these days is a lot less than it used to be, so I am starting to see why people might now be thinking there's not much point any more.

If that is the case then that will only make the digital download even more popular, and while I can't see them stopping making the discs just yet, I think eventually that's what they're aiming to do.

If there's no much difference in price, sure it's gonna be physical content. We're not talking about music, right? In that case, my choice would lean toward digital products, as I don't have to "install" songs to listen to them. However, when it comes to gaming I usually like the physical content. It's like hard copies, so I'm able to share it with my friends.

If technology continues the way it's going, I very much doubt if we'll have the choice anyway soon so the argument will be a mute point anyway.

The game developers will prefer to do away with the physical copies of the games, and so will the console makers due to the costs, so whatever us the gamers prefer won't make any difference at the end if the day.

The prices you get when you trade in games these days is a lot less than it used to be, so I am starting to see why people might now be thinking there's not much point any more.

If that is the case then that will only make the digital download even more popular, and while I can't see them stopping making the discs just yet, I think eventually that's what they're aiming to do.

I still get top dollar on my used games because I sell them to people, rather than the stores. I give them a discount and make more money, gamestop can eat me.

That might be the case now, but sooner or later, like it or not, the resale value on games is going to come down and that's from stores aswell as private sales.

The gaming industry as never been all that happy about the trade in of games that a lot of stores do, and its just something they've learned to live with rather than encouraged. By making more and more people download the games instead of buying the physical copies, they're going to slowly eliminate the trade ins full stop.

The thing about downloaded games is that the market for physical copies wont just disappear, so until then, its so much smarter to just play a game for a week and sell it off for $10 cheaper than it is to hold onto it and never play it and lose out on half the value...it costs me like $1 a day to have any new game I want, a lot less when you consider that I don't buy them all the time. A lot of people play stuff for 2 weeks and then just let it rot.

I agree that it won't just disappear overnight but if we're looking further down the line then eventually I think that will be the case. Before then though there's plenty of time for the powers that be to maybe come up with some sort of solution on how to give people downloadable games at a cheaper rate.

The new titles will always be full price, I don't think anyone would argue with that, but whereas in the past you could pick up a two or three year old game less than half what it originally cost, at the moment you can't do that on the download side of things. While they are slightly cheaper, we're still paying about 3/4 if the original price and for a game that's a couple of years old and might even have a successor released, that doesn't seem fair.

Why buy FIFA 15 FOR $45 When you can hang on and get FIFA 17 for $10 more for example.

I think I like that idea, that add-ons and new games eventually just become an element of DLC and the franchise is what you're buying into. The only problem I see with that is the ability for developers to gouge the prices over time and basically ruin games that used to be standalone, forcing things to become conveyer-belts for profit, meaning less actual "games" that you sit down and finish. Greedy models make more money, can buy more advertising, eventually take over. :(

Even though us gamers and even the software companies themselves want it to be all about the games, I don't think we can be under any illusion that it's all about making a profit.

Personally I don't mind those involved making money, after all they're the ones making the games and it's the money they get that keeps them being able to carry on, but there has to come a time when the prices stop going up and up. We don't mind paying a fair amount, but I for one refuse to be ripped off by those involved that just see us gamers as cash cows that they can milk.

Definitely, but I do also see the argument for the desire to do everything digitally. The only problem I have with digital is that it should cost significantly (20%+) less than physical, and they need to still produce complete games that you can BEAT and not stuff to just play eternally

The cost of the digital downloads we was told would reduce the costs of the games. The software companies wouldn't have to pay for the packaging and cases, transporting and displaying the games in the various outlets, and that saving would be passed on to us.

As far as I can see, that hasn't happened, and I don't know if it ever will to be honest. They might be making the saving, but the cost of the games hasn't gone down.

It's a toss up. Like you said, if the drive crashes and you have nothing to back it up on you lose everything, but physical can get worn down and destroyed as well. They need to have something like Steam on PC where all your stuff is saved somewhere out on their network.

Well digitally speaking if you buy something and tie it to an account you can always download it again when you get another hard drive. The two main reasons when it comes to Xbox One I buy disc games as well as digital is because since I have home sharing enabled when I'm not connected to the internet I can't play any digital games I have downloaded and I like have physical media. For Wii U it's the second reason as well as the fact that my tiny hard drive couldn't handle digital games.

TBH, I'm totally in the camp that digital games should be cheaper. For goodness sake, Xbox and PlayStation points cards don't even $60, so why not be $50 anyway?

When it comes to people still preferring the physical discs to the digital downloads, the price is bound to be an issue as you do tend to feel that you get more when buying a disc.If a digital version of a game was $40 and a disc version of the same game $60, then you'd find that the sales of the digital downloads would increase which is what I think Microsoft want.

In fact the whole idea was that digital download would be cheaper to produce and sell than the physical copies of a game, but upto now that saving hasn't been passed on to the consumers and until it is I doubt that people are going to be changing anytime soon.,

Well I think that I am coming around a little bit to whole downloadable content thing. I still like having the actual physical copy of the disc, just because I feel that if something were to happen I would want to have it. I am slowly getting there though, and you cannot deny the convenience of being able to download the games right then and there. Thanks for sharing.

I can't stand digital games. I have to always have the physical product, I also don't like the thought of paying for a digital game, and it takes up so much space on my console, that's not cool.

I remember when I had a psp, and I bought some games in the PSN, those gigs took up most of my memory card so quick, I'd rather just have the physical thing. It feels much more special, I'm buying a piece of something physical that won't ever be created again.

Most of the games we buy these days need to be installed onto the HDD anyway, so I'm not sure that buying a physical copy is going to make much difference to saving the space you want. Sooner or later, all games are going to be download only and while that might not happen for a few years yet, I'd get prepared for it but hopefully by then the cloud servers will be reliable or the HDD will be big enough to incorporate the games in the first place.

Digital all the way. I don't like to get physical Anything if I can help it.

It sounds like that you are one of the few gamers then @NormaD that have actually embraced the digital age. More and more gamers are slowly coming around to the fact that the trusty Blu-Ray and Compact Disc's are becoming obsolete, but it's happening a lot slower than I think the console manufacturers would have anticipated.

Back