Xbox One Preference: Digital or disc?

I always go with the actual disc themselves. I like to have copies of the games and the packaging they come in, call me old fashion. You mentioned that you are scared to lose all of your games if your hard drive crashes, normally you can just download the game again online for no additional cost. Or you could just back your hard drive up this would also ensure that you don't lose any of your saved games if it does crash.

When it comes to games, I personally buy either of their versions as long as I have the money at the moment of buying it, however, if I go out and then I See a game that I really like and it's on discount then I absolutely go ahead and buy it, but when it comes to buying games with my credit card or any other kind of online payment then I have to pick the online purchase, it's way better because your games are basically going to last forever.

I still like the old school idea of walking into a store and buying my game, but these stores seem to be closing fast. I think it won't be long before we won't have an option, it will be digital or digital.

@SirJoe I do take your point as I also think that with the increase in digital downloads, we are kind of losing that magic that I'm sure we all used to feel when purchasing a new game. I remember when I was a kid saving up my pocket money ready for a new release and then the excitement of queueing up and buying it, running home to try and be the first one of my friends to play it.

These days, simply waiting till midnight and then pressing download and then waking up with it all installed and ready to play doesn't bring that same excitement. I do get that times change and digital downloads are the future, but at the moment we're paying the same price as what we was for the physical copies, but losing out on a bit of the appeal of buying that new game that I think e all used to love.

@pwarbi I most certainly agree with you, there is nothing that quite replaces that feeling. I think this younger generation is going to loose out on it. The only place you still see this is when Apple launches a new I phone, but it's not quit the same thing. I don't remember there being that much confusion when I bought a freshly released game. Another thing that was fun was going through the sales bin. I remember finding games that I always wanted to play but missed the launch for some or other reason and wasn't able to find it again, it was great fun, you never knew what you would find.

The main point for me when it comes to the digital downloads is the cost. We was told that the games would be cheaper because they wouldn't have to pay for the packaging and the logistics of getting the physical games into the shops. If that was the case then we could live without the excitement of going out and buying a game, but it's not happened.

The digital downloads are costing the same as the physical copies, and while we are seeing older games at reduced prices, the new ones are costing the same and sometimes even more than they used to.

@pwarbi I definitelly agree with you, prices are lower and therefore, you spend less for more because the game is obviously going to last you forever or until the console stops working, but I personally think that the memory use is the main problem, but that's nothing we can not just forget about.

I remember when I had a psp, and I bought some games in the PSN, those gigs took up most of my memory card so quick, I'd rather just have the physical thing. It feels much more special, I'm buying a piece of something physical that won't ever be created again.

I think that really brings up an interesting point, and when you think about how all the hype seems to be going towards games for the phone, it kind of makes you wonder what the implications are there. Obviously they are not going to introduce discs or anything, but there are certainly limitations when you think all the space on the smaller machines. Interesting stuff, and thanks for sharing.

@Guy That's true, I personally think that the most annoying problem would be the memory usage, games are really heavy nowadays and you can not just have way too many digital games, otherwise you will have to uninstall and install a thousand times and that's really annoying, you're right.

The main point for me when it comes to the digital downloads is the cost. We was told that the games would be cheaper because they wouldn't have to pay for the packaging and the logistics of getting the physical games into the shops. If that was the case then we could live without the excitement of going out and buying a game, but it's not happened.

The digital downloads are costing the same as the physical copies, and while we are seeing older games at reduced prices, the new ones are costing the same and sometimes even more than they used to.
Games have become much larger then they were in the past. Maybe they charge more because of transfer and storage space. Forza 5 is 40Gb in size, you would need close on 9 DVDs to load the game onto your XBox One.

Last edited:
Blu-ray discs can hold 25Gb single layer, or 50Gb double layer so games like Forza 5 would only just about fit on there, but there wouldn't be much room to spare. You're right though, and as the games continue to grow in size, while some of the smaller games can still be made to fit on a disc, the larger titles are going to start becoming digital download only.

We might not like that, but if we want games to continue to get bigger and better, then that's just something that we have to put up with and get used to.

@pwarbi it's not a question of choice anymore unless the start selling the bigger games on pen drives there aren't really good alternatives. They could on the other hand sell a reduced version and you would download patches as you progressed into the game, like that you wouldn't have to suffer through the full download since it would be spread out over a longer period of time.

@pwarbi I do not really know why they did not implement the use of pendrives when they first released the Xbox ONE, that coul've been a good move since DVD are getting out of date every time more, indeed.

Well I don't think they actually want people to use the physical copies of the games anymore on any external device, and that's why they have been pushing the digital download for all this time. It's going to come a time when a console manufacturer will just make a console with no drive at all and they will force you to HAVE to download the games.

That obviously wouldn't be popular with everyone and the console manufacturer would be taking a big risk, but sooner or later, if we want to carry on playing games, then they usually get their own way and we have to just accept it.

I personally think that the main reason they haven't started using pens yet is because of the cost. If a game is 40 Gb in size, they would have to use a 64Gb pen. That means they would have to add the value of the pen onto the game. It would make the game really expensive, not that the games are cheap now.

@SirJoe That is absolutely right, but they could develop a new pendrive technology in order to make this possible, but it's as you say, it would be too expensive for them and also for the players from all around the world, good point.

Always digital, what's the point of having a disc? At home, I'd have to go through all the boxes instead of just clicking the game. When taking the console to a friend's, I'd have to bring all the boxes with me as well. There's just no point. I can understand it feels good to push those good old CD's into that drive, but you've got to let it go.

@NotCasual it's particularly impossible to a full game onto a DVD let alone a CD. I think that time is gone, if it hasn't gone already it's on it's last legs.

Always digital, what's the point of having a disc? At home, I'd have to go through all the boxes instead of just clicking the game. When taking the console to a friend's, I'd have to bring all the boxes with me as well. There's just no point. I can understand it feels good to push those good old CD's into that drive, but you've got to let it go.

What if you want to lend your games to any of your friends or anything like that, you have to think further about it, there are many disadvantages when it comes to the use of digital games. CDs are always going to be useful depending on the situation.

@Casiox Ah yes, I guess you're right. Now that I think about it, CDs are useful to some extent. I have bought quite a lot of secondhand games which obviously wouldn't be possible if they were tied to the account of the person I bought it from. Lending out my games isn't a thing I really do, but I guess it's also an advantage.

Back