Xbox 360 Prevent RROD?

vect0r

Are there any steps I can take to prevent the infamous red ring of death? I have my Xbox in a well ventilated area and try not to leave it on when I'm not using it.

Not really. It's a manufacturing issue that plagues systems on a unit to unit basis and it is caused by the actual GPU coming unsocketed from the brackets bending because of heat. This isn't something that can be alleviated, only fixed once it actually happens.

Just keep it cool and preferably level with the ground rather than standing up straight.

Why would being level with the ground make a difference? I have mine upright now and would have to move everything around to lie it flat, so I'm curious as to the reasoning.

Why would being level with the ground make a difference? I have mine upright now and would have to move everything around to lie it flat, so I'm curious as to the reasoning.

Well, besides the obvious reason that if it falls or you move it while upright, it will literally destroy any disc inside of it. The motherboard and cpu are not also so much at risk of coming unconnected from heat warping if gravity is pushing it onto the board, which is only possible if it is on its side.

I've never had a RROD, and all I do is make sure the console is off the ground and has plenty of space to ventilate. There's probably other precautions one can take, but that's what worked for me.

It's a lottery really. My original 360 lasted a good 6 years before the dreaded rrod happened. The more recent consoles don't seem to be as affected by it as they have the newer chips. Still, given the amount of use it had, 6 years wasn't so bad.

Like others have stated, keeping it well ventilated and perhaps not playing for extended periods without giving it chance to cool down will reduce the risk of it happening to you.

There 'is' a method to prevent RROD, but probably you won't like it.
The only way to make sure it never happens is having the motherboard disassembled from the plates and the carcass. My friend called it playing with the Xbox 'naked'.
He had RRoD once, and after that he decided he'd rather have a working Xbox even though that kind of stopped looking like an Xbox.

If you still need some tips, there are a lot of things you can do however many require you to void your warranty. Do you know what motherboard you're using? If it's a 360 Elite you'll be using a Jasper, and really don't have to worry about the dreaded RRoD. However if you have an older model, I'd recommend getting an aftermarket fan put on, or a new heatsink. Replacing the thermal paste on your cpu and gpu with some high quality stuff like Arctic Silver is also a really simple process that actually helps a lot. And hey, if you have money to blow, go water cooling. I'd love to answer any questions about this, so feel free to ask.

Ive gotten 2 being while not being careful. Now, however, I keep mine on a stand a few inches off the ground, its grated so air can go all around underneath. Always keep it on its side. I try to shut it off as soon as I'm done and on extra warm days I'll blow a small fan directly at it in hopes of cooling it a little. I moved all my gaming things to the basement, which is naturally colder as well.

I always kept all my consoles flat down and they never got me any trouble. I also cleaned the console each month, making sure first that the console was off, don't want to ruin my precious games like one of my friends once did.

The only reason i got a RROD in the first place is that i never turned the console off when i was having a multiplayer fever.
Now, never again doing something like that!

Because we're discussing RRoD on the next console, I saw this as a suggested thread. My 360 RRoD'd just a few days ago. Its about 6 years old, so I got a really good run out of it, but it still sucks with the One coming out and having to put money into a 360. I'm trying to decide if I want to do that or just get a stronger gaming PC for the next year or two while the One's kinks are worked out.

Anyway, tip to avoid RRoD, keep your Xbox in a well ventilated area. The more heat it can push away from itself the better off you are.

Well, I've never had the issue, but I've heard it's caused by overheating so keeping your console in a cool, open enviorement would at least help prevent it, perhaps.

The best thing you can do to prevent the Red Ring of Death, is just not playing your Xbox 360 for a long period of time. It never hurts to give your console a break while playing it.

Oh dear, my Xbox gets pretty hot even after 5 minutes. I'm thinking of keeping a fan right beside my Xbox so that cool air will be flowing to it. I guess if it does RROD that I should move to the Xbox One.

The best way to prevent a rrod is to limit the amount of time you are playing your Xbox 360. You just have to make sure you don't play your console to much because that is what gives rrod easily.

Sacrifice 3 of your favorite games monthly to the spirit of BIll Gates and destroy 3 apple devices.

I frequently dusted my old elite and didn't run it for more than 4 hours at a time. It lasted about 4 years before RRODing. Part of the reason I think is just that the specific "Chip" model was extremely prone to RROD.

Here's a link to an identifying chart that will help you determine your chip-set so that you might be able to determine how likely you are to RROD. http://www.examiner.com/article/easy-guide-to-identify-your-360-chip-set

Definitely just a manufacturing thing and not a whole lot you could to to prevent it. I've personally never had this problem and I'm the worst at taking care of my consoles.

Back