Xbox 360 Prevent RROD?

Have you tried the towel trick? I heard some people actually re-seat their heatsinks with new thermal paste. I just bought a slim and have had no issues since.

I haven't had an issue with the RROD since my original Xbox 360 many years ago. We do make it a point to ensure that the system is well ventilated and we take the extra step of having it positioned so that when the air conditioner comes on, it blows across the machine...I feel like it helps give it an extra cool burst every now and again. We keep the vent turned off when the heat blows out, so it won't contribute to overheating. Plus, I make my son turn it off every few hours and allow it to cool. Don't know if this helps any or not, but we haven't had an issue with RROD in a very long time. It's only strange if it doesn't work, lol.

1. Keep your console in a well ventilated area.
  2. Try to prevent playing in long sessions that last more than 12 hours.
  3. Don't try any towel tricks when you get lights. Lights don't always mean its done. Towels just kill it.
  4. Hope you never encounter the RROD.

I've always heard that the RROD was caused by overheating. It was the result of faulty components and a bad design. While I think that most of those issues have been fixed, it wouldn't hurt to make sure that the system is completely free from obstructions around the vents and that the fan is clean and clear. You might consider taking the case off the console off from time to time to clean the fan. You might even consider putting it one of those laptop cooling pads. It can't hurt, right?

Back