Xbox 360 "Red Ring of Death"

southpark

I remember hearing about this when Xbox 360 first came out, or shortly thereafter. Fortunately for me, I've never had a problem with it, but I wonder how many people actually have? Has anyone here had to send their Xbox 360 back to Microsoft because it overheated and stopped working?

I've sent mine back twice. The first time was still under warrantee, the second time it was out of warrantee but fortunately it was covered by a lawsuit against microsoft for all the xboxes that were failing so I wasn't charged anything. It took a while to get them back and this last time it came back, the open/close button for the disc tray wasn't working. Now I'm holding out for the next Xbox :)

I've sent mine back twice. The first time was still under warrantee, the second time it was out of warrantee but fortunately it was covered by a lawsuit against microsoft for all the xboxes that were failing so I wasn't charged anything. It took a while to get them back and this last time it came back, the open/close button for the disc tray wasn't working. Now I'm holding out for the next Xbox :)

Wow! I would hate to have to send mine in, especially if it takes a long time to get it back. You couldn't play any of your games in the meantime! :~( They should have to compensate you for that, ha ha!!

I've never had to send mine in, but I know several people that have. I think I pretty well lucked out with mine.

Wht Rabit - How long were you without your console for? Were they willing to do anything about the open/close button not working?

A friend of mine got the red ring recently. I really feel sorry for him, because his console isn't under warranty anymore and the guys at the service said it's gonna cost something. Mine is still ok and I hope that I won't get the red ring soon.

Just about everyone I know suffered from the red ring of death. Ours was still under warranty at the time so they fixed it at no charge. I hope that when they fixed them they did something to prevent it from happening again though because it took awhile to get it back.

I also got to experience the red ring of death, but they were really nice about it. They shipped a box to me to send the console back in, and they had it back to me in about 10 days. They also sent a card for 3 months free of Xbox live.

I got the red ring a couple of times with my old xbox. There was a problem with overheating. But I just got the 360 slim and there are no problems yet. I recommend paying a little more for the slim because it will last longer and all the problems with the original xbox 360 are fixed. And I never had to send it back to Microsoft because my dad is really good with technology and fixing things.

I've made it get the RROD a couple times. scared me but turning it off and on fixes it. power surges do it and when I tried to fix a controller my dog chewed up it gave me it to.

I have only had to send my xbox in one time because the graphics card burnt out and I lucked out it was like a week before my warranty ran out.

I think that there is some confusion about the red ring of death. It doesn't necessarily mean the console overheated. It is much like the blue screen of death on a computer. There are numerous reasons you can get the RROD. You need to watch the parts of the red ring are blinking so you know what the actual problem is.

power surges cause it alot, fix is simply turning on and off. Other ways is wrap a towel around

The first time I got the RROD was before they started the free return policy. So sadly, I had to pay for my send in. Had I waited a month, I could have got it freely from them.

Thankfully I never got the RROD and I had one of the first consoles. It's funny because literally EVERY single person I knew had it happen and they'd all get mad on me for "getting lucky". I've had friends go through like 5 360's, it's crazy.

I didn't get my Xbox (360) until last year... I've played them for years though because of friends though.
I know only one person who had issues with their Xbox and sent it back... It was about a month after they got it.
I'm not sure exactly what happened though.

I got it! On my very original 360 I got about a year after they launched. It took a long time to die though so I went out straight after and bought a 120gb elite which is still going strong. I seem to remember it being just after Microsoft threw the ban hammer at a million or so boxes for flashing the dvd drives!!

In my life time, I've made it to the "Red Ring of Death" MANY times resulting in me needing to invest quite a lot of money into it. But despite wasting so much money, I still love my Xbox and I will forever cherish it :)

I had the first generation Xbox Pro, and I first got the RROD with 3 rings. This one is not dangerous, all I had to do was turn off and turn back on my console. But after about 5 years of having the Xbox, I got 1 ring. I tried repairing it myself but didn't had the tools required. Since my warranty was over, instead of paying a few hundreds of dollars to microsoft, I decided to buy a brand new xbox that was on sale for 200$ instead of 300$ :cool:

I think that there is some confusion about the red ring of death. It doesn't necessarily mean the console overheated. It is much like the blue screen of death on a computer. There are numerous reasons you can get the RROD. You need to watch the parts of the red ring are blinking so you know what the actual problem is.
You are totally right. Sometimes it's because the console overheated, but it can also be because of a malfunction in the motherboard (which was my case). Looking at the number of rings is not the best method to use, since different problems could be associated to the same amount of rings. To know what's wrong with your console, simply look at the error code on your TV, and contact the Microsoft about it.

I sent back my first XBox 360 because of the Red Ring of Death. They sent me a box to mail it in. Mine was on a list of model numbers that were bad or defective so they didn't send me the same one back, they sent me a different one and I got it in 2 weeks. I haven't had any more problems since they sent me the replacement one.

Several years ago I have had the red rings. I thought I was over warranty because it had already been a year, but I wasn't. There is a hidden warranty on result of red-rings that actually lasts 3 years. I got it replaced free of charge (even shipping was on the house). It took a couple of weeks to actually get a new one after I sent it.

Back