Xbox One So the Xbox One has been hacked

silvananoir

We all knew that the trade-off of having a DRM free console was the fact that it could be hacked and run pirated games. I think that I was personally hoping that hackers would have the common sense to keep that to themselves and not brag about their accomplishments. I was wrong. It's official the Xbox One NAND has been dumped and hackers have taken to the forums to tell people how to do it. I don't regret the DRM fight, I just wish hackers wouldn't brag all over the net about it.

Hackers breach Xbox One.

Ah hackers, making life difficult for everyone. It's not surprising that this happened, I am a little shocked that they managed to breach the Xbox One so soon after it launched though. I also wish that they had kept this to themselves since the online DRM thing was a major coup and this just proves to Microsoft that they were wrong to remove the feature.

These guys are really the worst. Though I admire their intelligence. But still they are a pain. I just hope that Microsoft fixes this issue as soon as possible. They should not have removed the feature. So microsoft, please work on this. We don't want to be hacked by anyone.

I'm glad that they removed the DRM feature, we've seen this song and dance too many times to know that it would not have ended well. If anything Microsoft should work on a better and more resistant NAND. Also hackers should learn to keep their mouths shut, there's no need for them to got to every forum in existence or to the gaming press and brag about it.

What? Already that fast? I hope Microsoft can prevent anymore hacking. This doesn't sound too good. More hacking could mean a dire future for the Xbox One. If they don't prevent this, I'm already going to see the games available for download in torrents. Not good at all. Microsoft, get it together and fight the hackers!

Hackers these days... they're not going to give up are they? A nice new console comes in and bam! Hackers will get to it and break down the walls. I don't like this. They keep doing this, we won't be able to enjoy great games. Developers won't get any money and the support will be diminished. This has got to stop man!

We all knew that the trade-off of having a DRM free console was the fact that it could be hacked and run pirated games. I think that I was personally hoping that hackers would have the common sense to keep that to themselves and not brag about their accomplishments. I was wrong. It's official the Xbox One NAND has been dumped and hackers have taken to the forums to tell people how to do it. I don't regret the DRM fight, I just wish hackers wouldn't brag all over the net about it.

Hackers breach Xbox One.
Those are some unrealistic expectations for hackers :p

In my opinion they only do harm towards Microsoft's bottom line. This is more about piracy than anything, and I severely doubt it will harm any people specifically. It is Microsoft that tried to introduce counter-measures that hurt consumers. They need to implement anti-piracy measures that don't require your Xbox to be plugged in and online all the time.

It was only a matter of time. I think we were all just sitting around and waiting to see what the hackers could come up with. I think it's fascinating how quickly they can hack something, but agree that their bragging has become annoying.

This is why we needed the DRM. Just makes us pay more for games and such with the pirated copies. We will see drm soon though.

That fast? Well, it was to be expected. But I can't believe it would be this fast. I hope it doesn't come to a point where there will no longer be games coming to the Xbox One. It can't happen, it just can't. Microsoft has to do something before those hackers ruin a good thing.

This is why we needed the DRM. Just makes us pay more for games and such with the pirated copies. We will see drm soon though.

DRM just makes everything a nightmare. Its not DRM we need, its tougher security on the consoles. I have a feeling that microsoft wanted the whole DRM thing because they DID slack on the security.

That was quick though, has it even been a week?

The hackers who pick apart closed machines like consoles don't do it out of spite; they do it because it's legitimately cool to see what can be done with the device. Remember when people were doing wild things with the Kinect sensor and at first Microsoft tried their damndest to shut that down, but eventually gave in and encouraged the experimentation? If one of the big three ever released a homebrew-ready console, I'm sure that would give them a leg up on the competition. The negative connotations around the word "hacker" certainly don't help though. I remember when a large step was made towards hacking the Vita and people were pissed because they were under the illusion that it would somehow affect their experience.

Not surprised that it's "Already" been hacked. The software and hardware aren't exactly "New", they're just updated in terms of being a console. It'll be interesting to see what these guys can come up with and do, now that they have some more information. It's not like it's going to have any kind of negative effect on the gaming market, the ONE market, or anything else. As Sidd said, it's really a good thing from a developer stand point. The entire reason the kinect is now much more useful is because of the people who hacked it and found out what makes it tick.

Hell, several games do it these days. The game All Points Bulliten on PC was poorly optimized until a few players decided to hack the game a bit and change the default shaders and textures, increasing their FPS. It was so successful that the developers introduced it globally into a patch. Not all "Hacking" is malicious or bad. Most of the time, it's solely for the sake of more information.

I despise hackers with a purple passion, but I can't say I'm surprised that this console has been hacked when hackers were running rampant on the 360. I'm a little surprised at how quickly they "got to it," but I suppose if you have nothing better to do all day than stupid crap like hacking, well, it doesn't take you very long to do it, does it?

This was inevitable. Hacker will always find a way to hack every piece of hardware they have. As long as they don't have bad goals, and instead try to improve the console, I guess it's ok.

Whatttttt!!! I thought the Xbox one was more secure then this.. I sometimes wonder why hackers do such a thing.. They don't do it for money nor fame. They do it for fun.. Why....

Hopefully Microsoft can do something about it before it gets worse.

Not shocked at all. Nothing is unhackable, and game consoles are huge targets for hackers. Hope this doesn't affect the console negatively.

I'm getting really annoyed with how many people are going "Gawd, I hate hackers, grrrrrrr." You do realize that "Hacker" is a general term, right? Not every "Hacker" is a hooded, masked criminal in a dark basement stealing identities and turning over oil tankers (10 bonus points to whoever gets that reference). Most do it for the sake of KNOWLEDGE. They hack into these systems to see what makes them tick, just as a scientist or doctor examines a new strain of a disease. Sure it can be used for bad, but this isn't the 90's anymore, and most of the time it's used for improvement, fun home-brew, knowledge base, or a little bit of fun recognition from others who enjoy doing the same thing.

People like Xmasxbox and MegaZero clearly only assume hackers are the people who run around with aimbots and things like that on video games. Those are "Script Kiddies". "Hacking" on the 360 wasn't what you think it was. Those were J-tagged xboxs, which were DEVELOPER xboxs and most of the time they weren't even allowed to connect to LIVE.

Hackers are not all that bad. LIke for example, private servers that run MMORPG games. We enjoy the games even though the fact is they copied and created a server of their own. Not all of them are bad. I agree with Holopoint on the fact that they are doing it mostly for the sake of knowledge. It is a challenge to improve as well.

Back