Original Xbox Success Of The Xbox Franchise

Pretty darn successful.

"First, we want to thank you for choosing and for spending more time with us," he continued. "In the last 12 months, we delivered more than 20 billion hours of gaming and entertainment on Xbox, over 17% growth over the previous year."
Then came the killer blow. "We're proud and humbled to be the top online gaming service - according to NPD's August 2013 Online Gaming report, close to 50% more online console gamers use the Xbox 360 for playing online than the PlayStation 3." Shots fired!

Source: OXM UK

Xbox, like pretty much everything else Microsoft has come up with, has been INCREDIBLY successful. Without going into the numbers, everyone I know that games owns an Xbox 360 and almost all of them have abandoned Playstation at this point. I literally don't know a single person that plans on buying a PS4 in lieu of an Xbox One when the next gen consoles come out.

I'd say they've pretty well got it wrapped up!

I would say Xbox has been very successful. Sony and Nintendo owned the market at the time the original Xbox came around. Sega, who had years of experience, failed to make competitive consoles. So it is very impressive that a company like Microsoft ,with no experience in the console market, could have this much success in a relatively short time.

I am still wondering how they managed to create the 360. The market for the original Xbox was such a weird thing, seeing how it was the true american console of the time, but a lot of the best exclusives are from Sega and from other japanese companies. But somehow it managed to come out pretty good.

I think the franchise has a lot of money to work with to come up with some new innovative products. It is pretty ridiculous that members agree to pay monthly just to use the service and even watch netflix (another service they pay for) on their console. All of that money means that they can do more because they are such a giant. Some people complain about the franchise, but it's headed in a good direction. It is so much fun to play.

Xbox, like pretty much everything else Microsoft has come up with, has been INCREDIBLY successful. Without going into the numbers, everyone I know that games owns an Xbox 360 and almost all of them have abandoned Playstation at this point. I literally don't know a single person that plans on buying a PS4 in lieu of an Xbox One when the next gen consoles come out.

Yeah, like the Zune, Windows Vista, and Windows 8! Fan favorites.
;)

Yeah, like the Zune, Windows Vista, and Windows 8! Fan favorites.
;)

Fan faves? Do I detect a bit of sarcasm? ;) No experience with a Zune as we already had iPods by the time they came out, but the mother-in-law has Vista and hates it, and no one I know likes Windows 8. To be fair though, not every product that a company comes out with is going to be successful or "as successful" as previous products. While Vista and 8 have definitely been letdowns, look at Windows XP -- now THERE'S a good OS!

Xbox has been a very successful brand and company. I would never be disloyal towards Xbox. I am a great fan, who respects all that Xbox has done for its fans across the world. This year is Microsoft's year. This will be the first time Microsoft wins the competition between it and Playstation. Between features, Xbox is the victor's hands down.

It's come along way and overpowered Nintendo and is fighting with Sony. I would give them a 8/10 when it comes to how successful they are.

The xbox franchise is very successful and is getting better all the time. They're making money so that can prove they're successful in what they're doing.

I am still wondering how they managed to create the 360. The market for the original Xbox was such a weird thing, seeing how it was the true american console of the time, but a lot of the best exclusives are from Sega and from other japanese companies. But somehow it managed to come out pretty good.

I think that's largely with the help of developers outside of Japan creating exclusives for the Xbox. Most notably with Halo made by Bungie, when the Xbox and Halo Combat Evolved released in early 2000's, it was THE big thing. Halo at its time had graphics comparable to Crysis of its time, basically, and it was a revolutionary way to play console games. The way FPS was handled and the way the hardware was superior (for it's time, compared to other consoles currently out there) was better. Time by time more developers just flocked and I guess that's where we are today, however, still a globalized community :) .

Awesome! I mean look at how far it has came. All the way from the Original Xbox to a Next-Gen console battle. It's truly amazing!

Nah, I mean of those I know and those I'm associated with and also random people in conversations more than half are getting a PS4 rather than an Xbone, and it's almost equally split between those who own 360s and those who own PS3. Honestly, while Microsoft is very successful a lot of that has to do with being first with Windows (good job thieving Bill!), getting it onto every single computer ever (seriously it ships as mandatory) - that isn't an Apple, and maintaining relationships with huge companies who put it on all their computers. So it's less an intrinsic value of outstanding quality, and more being good at playing the game - which is not necessarily a bad thing.

They have truly been successful. Today, there's millions of people on Xbox Live and devoting their hours to playing various games. I remember playing on the Xbox original and thinking that this wasn't going to get that far. Now, with the 360 and the upcoming Xbox One, there's so much accomplishment. It's actually amazing to just look back on all the progress Xbox has gone through.

They have truly been successful. Today, there's millions of people on Xbox Live and devoting their hours to playing various games. I remember playing on the Xbox original and thinking that this wasn't going to get that far. Now, with the 360 and the upcoming Xbox One, there's so much accomplishment. It's actually amazing to just look back on all the progress Xbox has gone through.

Good point with XBox Live. It is truly a testament to the quality of the product when people will pay for it even though there is a free alternative. Microsoft has proven in a short period of time, that they know what they are doing in the video game industry.

The xbox has done relatively well and I think its only competition is sunny.

Back