Xbox One Taking the Day Off For Launch???

I disagree. The number of pre-orders is sitting right around 1 million by now, maybe add another million to that for the first weekend of sales.

I hope your right, but:

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/1...g-in-hot-expect-lots-of-issues-on-release-day

Edited see link for full story.

PS4 and Xbox One are coming in hot: Expect lots of issues on release day

We’re staring down the barrel of a next-gen launch, and these machines are coming in extremely hot. We’re already seeing a number of delays, mandatory patches, and rumors popping up everywhere that the core operating systems aren’t ready for prime time. If you’re buying into these new platforms on release day, you can certainly expect to run into a few problems.

First off, a few major games have been delayed past the launch window. Ubisoft’s Watch Dogs, a highly anticipated title, was recently delayed until 2014. If that wasn’t enough to bring everybody down, Sony is in a much worse situation with its launch line-up. Driveclub, a PS4 exclusive aimed at competing against the Xbox One’s Forza, has been pushed back into the next year as well. Driveclub was promised as a day-one free title for PlayStation Plus customers, so this delay threw a monkey wrench into Sony’s plans. Instead, the small indie game Contrast will launch alongside Resogun as the two free titles for Plus subscribers.

At launch, both consoles will require a day-one patch. Sony has confirmed that the 1.50 patch will weigh in at a hefty 300MB, and will be required for core features like online multiplayer and Blu-ray playback. Microsoft hasn’t been quite as forthcoming, but it has confirmed that a patch will be available on the day of the retail launch. While this isn’t necessarily a ruinous issue, it’s a hurdle that not everyone can jump. Many of us aren’t lucky enough to have full-time access to a high-speed internet connection, so it will be a hassle just to pull down the patch. Also, that’s assuming that the network infrastructure will be consistently up at launch. After the rocky launch of the Wii U, Diablo III, and SimCity, online requirements don’t exactly have a reputation for working well.

While Microsoft has been willing to show off its new operating system and user interface in controlled environments, it hasn’t been exactly forthcoming with showing off live builds. Sony is, for the most part, in the same boat. There have been a handful of rumors bubbling up regarding the incomplete state of the Xbox One’s OS, and it is slightly worrisome. It seems as if the shackles of the Black Friday release window might be having a negative impact on the state of the consoles. This remains in the realm of conjecture at this point, but I do get a bit antsy when I hear about fundamental issues this close to launch. I’d love to be proven wrong with a smooth launch for everyone, but I won’t hold my breath

Anyone expecting major bottlenecks late Fri and over the weekend when more get on????

I saw a few YouTube videos over the weekend of people predicting doom and gloom.

I am not really expecting much, but I took the day off to try to get the update and some other things just in case.
Then I can just play off line if needed.

When it come to hardware, there will always be issues. No hardware is failure proof. However, I have seen a lot more articles circulating around the internet about the PS4 overheating, including Youtube videos than Xbox having hardware issues.

Not me I'm afraid. I'm one of those lame "patient gamers." I probably won't put my foot down until a week or so after release. It hurts me :( but I must resist!

LOL,,I'll just say "new console with better hardware". Not to mention new and better games. I've never said this before because everyone in this community has different opinions and I respect that; but your comment about the XB1 is just plain ignorant.

Respecting opinions. Plain ignorant? Doesn't that sound contradictory to you?
As you say, I am entitled to my own opinion, and my current stand is that I don't believe taking a day off for the launch is really that "great."
New and better games, sure, but is every new and better game coming out on the day of release? No.
Calling me ignorant without trying to assess what I already know about the Xbox One is being ignorant, you. My comment about the Xbox One is exactly what it is. A new console with better hardware, simple as that, nothing else that hasn't been done already. Kinect 2.0 itself is an improvement on the previous Kinect, so what? Doesn't mean I'll use it more just because it's been upgraded to be better.

I am neither a fanboy of Microsoft or Sony; I am merely stating the facts regarding the console that have been released so far. Nor am I trying to be a buzzkill; I'm merely stating my opinion as you see it, and if you don't like what I'm saying about the Xbox One, tough luck. Sorry about destroying the hype.

I might if i were getting the console on launch day. Then id stop, think about how much money id be losing out on, calculate how many games that would buy me, and take my happy butt to work anyway

They aren't literally beta testers, but you get my drift. I envy people who get to play it sooner than I do, but I've learned to be patient over the past decade or so since I've never gotten a console that was any less than a few years old. I'm hoping to get the Xbox One sooner than that, but probably not for several months at the very least. I'm sure the released version will be great, otherwise they wouldn't be releasing it at all.

Well the hardware won't be changing for a few years, so you would really be waiting for another patch or online update. That being the case I see no reason to wait other than financial.

I don't know why people would take the day off just to play something that's already been done before, something that's just been reimaged and renovated with better hardware. It's no different than taking a day off to play on the Xbox 360... other than it being a "new" console with "better" hardware.

It honestly surprises me to see how many of you are taking a day off of work just to play the Xbox One...

Why does it surprise you? This is a website called Xboxoneforums, and Im sure you can see more than half the members are DIE hard X1 fans. And this hasent been done before. EVERYTHING about this launch is different. New console, New games, New KiNECT, NEW experiences that are all around one of the biggest launches that we have not seen in 8 years. In my opinion....you are going to miss out on a great and fun launch day.

Why does it surprise you? This is a website called Xboxoneforums, and Im sure you can see more than half the members are DIE hard X1 fans. And this hasent been done before. EVERYTHING about this launch is different. New console, New games, New KiNECT, NEW experiences that are all around one of the biggest launches that we have not seen in 8 years. In my opinion....you are going to miss out on a great and fun launch day.

Agreed. I am so stoked I am dreaming about it now.

I don't know why people would take the day off just to play something that's already been done before, something that's just been reimaged and renovated with better hardware. It's no different than taking a day off to play on the Xbox 360... other than it being a "new" console with "better" hardware.

It honestly surprises me to see how many of you are taking a day off of work just to play the Xbox One...

I don't get what's so surprising? I've taken days off for 360 games too, I recently took off for GTA 5. Calling a new generation a slight upgrade is a huge understatement. These events happen rarely. I don't know how many you have experienced that you feel so jaded. Besides it's the end of the year, most people have unused personal days begging to be taken advantage of. Huge numbers of people take off for the release of major games, being surprised they would do the same for a console is naive

I don't get what's so surprising? I've taken days off for 360 games too, I recently took off for GTA 5. Calling a new generation a slight upgrade is a huge understatement. These events happen rarely. I don't know how many you have experienced that you feel so jaded. Besides it's the end of the year, most people have u used personal days begging to be taken advantage of. Huge numbers of people take off for the release of major games, being surprised they would do the same for a console is naive

Exactly. I have 4 personal days that arent even my vaca time. I HAVE to take them before th year is over or I lose them. So it doesnt hurt anything. Even if I didnt have them, I would still take off with vacation days.

Exactly. I have 4 personal days that arent even my vaca time. I HAVE to take them before th year is over or I lose them. So it doesnt hurt anything. Even if I didnt have them, I would still take off with vacation days.

I can use a vacation day/extended weekend. Five month old baby, crazy job, etc... I can't think of a better way to have some much needed downtime!

J

Yup, taking off early the night of the launch and the day of off. The day after, I'm coming in at noon. lol.

Ironically, so is the boss... :rolleyes:

My wife and I are going to the midnight launch at BB to interview some of the peeps in line and to take some pics of a good time.

It will be interesting to see if stores that get early shipments of XB1 systems, accessories and games begin selling early and breaking the street date of 11/22! I'd sooo love to get some of my stash prior to 11/22.

J

I know my controller will be here on the 18th, per my BB order.

Back