Xbox One TESO - $60 Pricetag + $15-a-month - Did TESO just suicide?

stiflex

From
Vilnius
The highly-anticipated MMO will come with a $15-a-month subscription fee in addition to its $60 price tag. And I'd like to talk about that - I'll start off by saying that many MMO's have tried to pull off the subscription type-games. But all of them, except for world of warcraft, have failed.

Rift, recently turned free-2-play. The old republic, also became free to play, Lord of the rings online - my personal favorite turned to free to play. Another prime example is - DC Universe Online. They've been a very very expensive subscription based game, I believe they didn't accept monthly subscriptions, only 3'month or half-annual ones. And they've turned to free2play, and found major success.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that they're obviously trying to appeal to the console community that doesn't have access to better paid MMO's like World of Warcraft, but the game developers are taking a massive risk.

What do you guys think?

Yes they did. I will pretend as if this game never existed. I can't afford to pay $15 a month as a student, I just can't.

I am really dismayed by this announcement.

Yes they did. I will pretend as if this game never existed. I can't afford to pay $15 a month as a student, I just can't.

I agree, I might try it out and save up some money, to buy a month's subscription now and then. But I was seriously into TESO, and I was expecting something similar to Guild Wars 2, but with a built-in real money store, as in people can buy cosmetics and that sort of stuff...

But now, you have to pay for the game, and then pay another 15 bucks per month, AND they'll also include the store! That's just cold..

I agree, I might try it out and save up some money, to buy a month's subscription now and then. But I was seriously into TESO, and I was expecting something similar to Guild Wars 2, but with a built-in real money store, as in people can buy cosmetics and that sort of stuff...

But now, you have to pay for the game, and then pay another 15 bucks per month, AND they'll also include the store! That's just cold..

I for one am not even going to look at any gameplay videos from now on. No matter how good this game will be, I won't be able to enjoy it as I can't afford it.

Well it is a pretty big risk to take.
It can go both ways either a major success or a disaster. It may end up going F2P if it goes too bad with the subscriptions like other games.

I don't play games that have you pay monthly fees. Outside of soon to be Xbox live fee :)

I don't play games that have you pay monthly fees. Outside of soon to be Xbox live fee :)

That's what makes this game a no go for me. I want to lay it, but it's out of my range. I just can't afford it.

Well, Star Wars: The Old Republic did the same, and can you tell me how they are now? Seriously, who even thought that this was a good idea in the first place? Most of the people enjoy The Elder Scrolls because of the modding possibilities, not because of the great combat!

Well, Star Wars: The Old Republic did the same, and can you tell me how they are now? Seriously, who even thought that this was a good idea in the first place? Most of the people enjoy The Elder Scrolls because of the modding possibilities, not because of the great combat!

I agree man, seriously - it's even tougher and even more expensive for the console users, there are a lot of budget gamers, and there always will be - because some people can't afford to buy every single video game, and now that the 2011 game of the year multiplayer version is rolling out its price tags, it doesn't make the situation for them better...

If EA coudn't do it with one of the most popular series of all time, I doubt anyone else will ever will. What in the blue hell were they thinking?

This sucks, I was really looking into buying this game but now I just can't afford to pay for live and still play a subscription for a game.. forget that. They are probably expecting that the sucess of Skyrim if enough to carry them to this level but I think they are wrong.

The highly-anticipated MMO will come with a $15-a-month subscription fee in addition to its $60 price tag. And I'd like to talk about that - I'll start off by saying that many MMO's have tried to pull off the subscription type-games. But all of them, except for world of warcraft, have failed.

Rift, recently turned free-2-play. The old republic, also became free to play, Lord of the rings online - my personal favorite turned to free to play. Another prime example is - DC Universe Online. They've been a very very expensive subscription based game, I believe they didn't accept monthly subscriptions, only 3'month or half-annual ones. And they've turned to free2play, and found major success.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that they're obviously trying to appeal to the console community that doesn't have access to better paid MMO's like World of Warcraft, but the game developers are taking a massive risk.

What do you guys think?

I think they know what theyre doing. There are people who will pay just about anything to be first. There are also people who are SO into the ES franchise that they will pay almost anything to play this next iteration. With that said, they'll make an initial chunk of change from those hardcore fans and ballers, and when that starts to slow to a trickle, they'll go free to play just like the other franchises you mentioned. At that point im sure others who didnt want to pay to play will cough up the price of the game to play, which will be continued revenue.

I too share your grief, I have no money and what I do have goes towards food and my girlfriend. If the game was a one off payment then I could save up for it, to play it for a year would cost about $200 when I only really ever fork over about $15-$20. It's a shame, they are really going to be lacking a player base on consoles because of this. PC gamers are used to a subscription based setup so I suppose PC players will be somewhat okay with it.

I'm not entirely sure why everyone is so depressed about paying 15 dollars a month for a game. How often do we buy new games for consoles, at 60 dollars a piece? I'm sure you spend WELL over 200 dollars a year in new games? By paying 15 dollars a month, you are essentially paying for a whole new part of the SAME game. The game continues to evolve, that's why you pay monthly for it. Now as far as having to pay for an Xbox Gold membership ON TOP of paying for the game, I think THAT'S a little ridiculous. I'm a recent convert to console gaming from PC gaming, so I'm entertaining the idea of playing this game. I believe it was mentioned above, but this game won't last as a pay per month. It will generate minimal revenue, and eventually go to free to play.

I too share your grief, I have no money and what I do have goes towards food and my girlfriend. If the game was a one off payment then I could save up for it, to play it for a year would cost about $200 when I only really ever fork over about $15-$20. It's a shame, they are really going to be lacking a player base on consoles because of this. PC gamers are used to a subscription based setup so I suppose PC players will be somewhat okay with it.

We share the same sentiments. I'm a family man so money goes to them too.

i have really been up in the air about the game..(recently got date pushed back to july) almost pre ordered it...

i am personally not a fan of the 15 dollar a month fee to play.. especially on top of the xbox live pay out...

but hear is where i start to look ati t a bit different.. these pay month games tend to have really good server/speed/stability.. anymore this is almost a hand in hand relationship to game reviews.. the game may be good.. but let it have crappy server/lagg and you can be sure its going to take away from the game score/review..

when i look at a mmo(i dont play) the biggest selling point is the ability to play the game.. its an almost non ending storyline. side missions,add on packs,ect ect.. these games have a year++ of playability.. with most game titles having yearly releases an mmo has a big selling point of a community that has staying power.. its not like in 2 years the server is going to have little action... odds are its going to have players still on and proably still have people buying the game. look at titanfall. do you realyl think in 2 years you will get on and have many people to play with.

as much as i am on the fence about elder scrolls.. i really just want to get in on the beta... i am not a mmo gamer.. the last one i played was ultima online proably 10 years ago. the mmo's have changed imo.. i really want to see how i feel in the beta to really get a feel for how i will play the game.. i think allot of people are on the fence with this game

i would also think they may offer a yearly subscription/deal similar to how xblive works.. you may be able to pay for a year of server avliability.. where that 15 dollars may turn into 10 monthly or something. idk really but i can see them trying to market the conection.

As someone who's played a bunch of WoW (my highest is a lvl 85), I'm used to the subscription based game. Why do I not have a lvl 90 in WoW? Because I have too much other crap to do and don't want to waste money on the monthly sub fee for WoW, and a bunch of my real life friends have stopped playing much as well. While I'm not opposed totally to a subscription based game, it will probably keep me from buying it. I have so many other games that I've paid for and own, including the new Sim City, games on Steam, my 360 games that I need to finish, XB1 games, heck, I still need to finish the endgame in Diablo-Plenty of stuff that I can do right now for no additional cost.

UNLESS the majority of my friends IRL get TESO, I doubt I'll get it for quite some time, and even then, I think I want it for the PC.

As someone who's played a bunch of WoW (my highest is a lvl 85), I'm used to the subscription based game. Why do I not have a lvl 90 in WoW? Because I have too much other crap to do and don't want to waste money on the monthly sub fee for WoW, and a bunch of my real life friends have stopped playing much as well. While I'm not opposed totally to a subscription based game, it will probably keep me from buying it. I have so many other games that I've paid for and own, including the new Sim City, games on Steam, my 360 games that I need to finish, XB1 games, heck, I still need to finish the endgame in Diablo-Plenty of stuff that I can do right now for no additional cost.

UNLESS the majority of my friends IRL get TESO, I doubt I'll get it for quite some time, and even then, I think I want it for the PC.

Same here, I think I may want to get this on PC instead. It would be confusing for me to play this on Xbox One.

Back