Xbox One TESO - $60 Pricetag + $15-a-month - Did TESO just suicide?

I don't mind paying a monthly fee is the game is worth it, but I don't think this one is. I haven't tried it out, but I've watched some livestreams and read some impressions, and it seems to be yet another generic fantasy MMO. It's a shame really.

I can see them switching over to a buy-to-play model like Guild Wars 2 after WoW's expansion comes out.
They might be able to compete as a subscription game against Wildstar, but I don't see them holding up against WoW, they will have to change if they want to keep players around.

That's a good prediction I think, but maybe not that soon, I see it maybe a year from now.
But of course it heavily depends of the amount of subscribers they have and when they see a drop in those numbers.

It is certainly a risk, but then, considering how much of a fanbase Skyrim has lately, I could see this working out for them, but perhaps not in the long haul unless they go all out and really do kill Warcraft. Which is unlikely at this point tbh.

TESO committed suicide but then Gogeta appeared in outerspace and obliterated it with a giant kamehameha. The devs of course being Gogeta. This game has no chance with its price tag, monthly fee and several much more promising mmos or expansions coming out this year.

TESO committed suicide but then Gogeta appeared in outerspace and obliterated it with a giant kamehameha. The devs of course being Gogeta. This game has no chance with its price tag, monthly fee and several much more promising mmos or expansions coming out this year.

I agree, they have to removed the subscription.

I doubt it will compete with WoW. The hype train almost crashed when they announced the pricing.

Well, to each their own, but again, people always have good faith in a new MMO. Just look at the star wars MMO.

I'd love to see something new. something better than the MMOs now. something related to reality would be nice.

$15 is month isn't much. You're technically buying 2 games for the year if you're paying the subscription for a year plus the game. The Xbox One isn't going to get really hot with titles until next year and by that time the subscription format might be knocked down to premium players.

$15 is month isn't much. You're technically buying 2 games for the year if you're paying the subscription for a year plus the game. The Xbox One isn't going to get really hot with titles until next year and by that time the subscription format might be knocked down to premium players.

Well for some it isn't much but well if you're aiming for something free like me I'd have to hold off from it until it becomes free.

I kind of agree. If you're paying for Gold by the month, buying games every month, doing Netflix, Hulu, and other stuff then $15 which isn't much looking at it can add up. It really depends on how much you're pumping into your console and other services. Personally I don't mind $15. I prefer it since it keeps the playing field level. The only thing separating powerful players from not so powerful ones is the amount of time played. ESO goes free then people will pay for power and people will get upset.

Like others have said, I also thought the $15 subscription fee was unfair. Especially when you have to pay $60 just for the game itself. The subscription fee is the whole reason why I haven't bought the game yet. I really hope they decide to drop the subscription fee soon because I really want to play this game.

To be honest, if you have a budget of 20 bucks a month for video games and teso is genuinely enticing enough fo you personally for it to be the only game you play month after month, then that's fair. but I don't think most people will have that point of you, I played Skyrim for a month, before I wanted to play other games too and only played skyrim once every week or so. Once a week is not enough to pay a subscription fee.

I think this is way too much when compared to other options. I think you're right that the goal here is to get people who aren't playing on PC to buy in through console. But I don't think many people have an XBox One but don't have a computer that can at least run an RPG. I mean there are games like Guild Wars 2 which received rave reviews and are a one time fee of sixty dollars (I think it's less now) and that's it. You never have to pay another cent. TESO is pretty good but it's far from revolutionary. I suspect that it will go free to play before too long.

Back