Xbox One Ultimate DRM and Sharing Breakdown

DBacon1052

As everyone knows by now, Microsoft has changed their policy towards physical games and online check ins. Here is the updated breakdown to help you better understand the differences between the PS4 and Xbox One.

(Note: By DRM, I mean New DRM restrictions such as check ins. I know that consoles both already have some forms of DRM.)

Breakdown:

Playstation 4
Physical Sharing: YES
Digital Sharing: NO
Multi-Console Play: Physical - YES / Digital - *YES (But you will have to bring your HDD with you)
DRM: NO
Internet Required for games: NO

Xbox One (Old Policy)
Physical Sharing: NO
Digital Sharing: YES (With up to 10 people, includes all of your games)
Multi-Console Play: YES (ALL games are stored digitally in the cloud)
DRM: YES
Internet Required for games: YES

Xbox One (New Policy)
Physical Sharing: YES
Digital Sharing: NO
Multi-Console Play: Physical - YES / Digital - YES (This will still require hourly check-ins on secondary consoles)
DRM: YES (but no more 24 hour check-ins)
Internet Required for games: **At the discretion of game developers
**Games that will utilize Microsoft's cloud computing for single player gameplay will always require an online connection

Thanks for posting this Bacon. I'm thinking this should be stickied.

Well, it definitely makes more sense now, but still, why don't all consoles just say yes to sharing on all fronts and call it a day? Don't fix what isn't broken, so why did they decided on coming up with such strange ideas? Are they trying to reduce piracy?

That would be great if it did. People are blowing this way out of proportion but if you just think about it, it's not that bad. And please feel free to share this on any/every forum you can. I'm not big on gaming forums so I just posted it here. I love the xbox for its innovation and don't want to see it fail because people don't understand it.

Sharing isn't good for developers and since they make the games, it's also not good for gaming. And it's almost borderline stealing. For example people play assassins creed for the campaign mostly. If you beat it then lend it to a friend and he beats it, he most likely wont buy that game. Sharing games like battlefield and cod isn't as bad because of the strong multiplayer that you can always play. Microsoft doesn't support this idea and I honestly think that it's a step in the RIGHT direction and will maybe even reduce the price of games in the future.

Sharing isn't good for developers and since they make the games, it's also not good for gaming. And it's almost borderline stealing. For example people play assassins creed for the campaign mostly. If you beat it then lend it to a friend and he beats it, he most likely wont buy that game. Sharing games like battlefield and cod isn't as bad because of the strong multiplayer that you can always play. Microsoft doesn't support this idea and I honestly think that it's a step in the RIGHT direction and will maybe even reduce the price of games in the future.

Now that is a very interesting take on the matter. The idea that it could actually make games cheaper is something I hadn't even thought of and perhaps you're right about that but I stand by the idea of your buddy being able to freely and without consequence play the games you bought with your money if you want him to. I don't think it's borderline stealing, it's sharing in every sense of the word. If you let your buddy borrow a movie you bought is it border line stealing too?

However, I think it's the way gaming will go, for better or worse but I don't think we're ready for it this generation. Microsoft has made it really easy for Sony to bust it out next generation though.

Now that is a very interesting take on the matter. The idea that it could actually make games cheaper is something I hadn't even thought of and perhaps you're right about that but I stand by the idea of your buddy being able to freely and without consequence play the games you bought with your money if you want him to. I don't think it's borderline stealing, it's sharing in every sense of the word. If you let your buddy borrow a movie you bought is it border line stealing too?

However, I think it's the way gaming will go, for better or worse but I don't think we're ready for it this generation. Microsoft has made it really easy for Sony to bust it out next generation though.

Actually I do think letting your friend "borrow" a movie is also borderline stealing. The fact is that your friend is probably not going to buy the movie after you lend it to him. Thus, one sale is lost. Whats important to remember about movies is that they make their profit in the movie theaters. Games don't having gaming theaters where you can play games before they're released to the public.

Just because you can share games and movies doesn't mean it's morally right if you think about it.

I the Consumer

Here's the deal Microsoft. I have always been a loyal fan. Love the 360, its controller, live, etc...........But, I am a consumer. I have a right to do what I want with the products I buy. Let me explain, I purchase a game, it is my right to give that game to whomever I choose, it is my right to let whomever I chose borrow that game. You(Microsoft) should not have the right to tell me what I can or can not do with something that I own, period. Digital Smigdital, I prefer a hard copy. If i want to share I just bring it with me. I think you are going to find that most of your consumers prefer a hard copy as well.

Online check in? NOPE. I live in an area that is prone to Hurricanes, I have spent months at a time without internet. I'm just trying to figure this out in my head, I want to be clear. I pay $500.00 for a system, $500.00 ok, and my internet goes out and for the next month I own a $500.00 blue ray player? Ok now you're just being cute. I live in America, if I purchase something for $500.00 I better be able to use it when I want to and how I want to.

I'm sorry to say this Microsoft but I'm done with you. As a consumer you just aren't a smart buy. I don't care about all your digital bullshit, DRM, or any of the other things I'll never use. What I do care about is gaming, just gaming. I have cable and an internet TV for my other needs. If I wanted what you offer I'd go buy a better computer. So you're right, their is another system I can play without being online, its called a PS4.

Sincerely,

Another fan you let down

I cannot believe that no-one seems to realize the truth. Lending games, and even used games are not their real concern. The real concern is PIRACY!!! Microsoft lost many millions to piracy with the 360, and had no way to stop it (at least not single player games). The only way they can stop piracy is:
1. Require all games discs to be installed onto HD.
2. Bind all installed games to user profile on HD.
3. Require all games are played from HD, after confirming legit status on HD.
4. Constantly check to confirm all games on HD are genuine. Checking every 24hrs will not allow pirates to play non-legit games. Live will not have to be the only weapon they can use to fight piracy. If it's one thing that Microsoft can do, its write good software. They can keep up with any type of hacking/piracy with a constant connection to your console, and the ability to read and write to your HD as needed.
I really believe this is Microsoft's true goal. The whole thing about publishers/developers wanting a cut from used sales, while in my opinion justified, is just icing on the cake. Most of the rancor over lending games, and used games is just code for the pirates to complain and bitch because they will not be able to play Xbox One games without paying for them. Better know as stealing in my day. By the way, I am pre-ordering mine this weekend. I have no problems with buying the games I want to play. I also have always kept my games in pristine condition (my Halo Combat Evolved disc & case is undistinguishable from my new Halo 4), so I do not care to buy poorly cared for, used games.

You can easily share your games even without being there. You can setup any ten people to be in your "family" and you all share a library of games. You and one person in your family can play that game at the same time. Any of the other ten can play any of the other games in the library, just not together. Major Nelson stated that this is the real reason for the DRM and phoning home every 24 hours. They wanted a way to share games easily... and you can do this with people who live pretty far away as well. Sounds like an amazing setup to me. I know internet can go down, but they said the checkin is a few kb at most... and that you can use a phone connection or anything available to log in.

I think the fact that it requires this kind of breakdown means it's being made too complicated. I know they're trying to "move things forward" but they're really just complicating the issue for people. I'm still not thrilled about the always-online thing, but at least it's not as bad as they made it sound at first.

Of course you can play digital games on your friend's Playstation, as long as you connect to your own account. You won't be able to lend digital games no matter what system, so I don't see why you're making such a fuss about it. Not on PC, not on PS3/4, not on 360/Xbone. It's business as usual.

As such, online services such as Steam, PSN and Xbox Live are all basically DRM, as they require the owner's account to be logged in to play. You are insinuating that PS3/360 have no DRM, but they already do. When you purchase a game, it has a coded license which is tied to THE BUYER'S ACCOUNT and can only be played BY THE BUYER (the owner). It works like this on the current systems and even works like this on PC with Steam. This will probably be the same for the next-gen too. In this way, if you, for example, log-in to your account on a friend's console you can download and play your games on there.

You are unable to "lend" digital games on any system without the owner's account being logged in, which means that both PS3/360 have this kind of protection and the PS4/Xbone will probably be the same or similar.

This kind of restriction has always been for just digital games, while as physical games have no such restrictions with sharing. But the Xbone seems to trying to restrict physical game sharing (perhaps even more restricted than digital game sharing has ever been). THAT is one of the problems people have with the Xbone (but certainly not the only one).

I simply find this thread to be ridiculous, or perhaps I've completely misunderstood it.

Actually this is untrue. You can digitally share. Read the press release on the Family Circle.

Yusef Medhi also stated that it doesn't even have to be a person in your family, as he cited an example of a friend 3000 miles away.

That enables 10 of your friends/family to have access to your entire games library and you theirs. So yes, there is digital sharing on Xbox One.

Major Nelson is doing an article on it that will detail exactly what it is, how many people can play concurrently, etc. so expect that in the coming weeks :)

EDIT: I should also point out that you can also physically share but you're correct it is limited. You can 'gift' a physical copy of a game you don't want anymore to a friend as long as they've been on your friend's list for 30+ days and it can only be given once.

The OP has misinformation, the Xbox one has digital sharing and yes the PS4 has DRM.

i'm going to have to update the thread to better account for the issues, as DRM is vague and everybody does have it. A big problem is communication i think as i believe it was presented in a bad fashion. It doesn't help that their isn't a faq on this or a chart by MS. But i'm going to try to update the thread. Its obvious we all need a clear picture on this. At least until Major Nelson helps us all out :D. Its hard to tell with all the conflicting reports from around the web.

i'm going to have to update the thread to better account for the issues, as DRM is vague and everybody does have it. A big problem is communication i think as i believe it was presented in a bad fashion. It doesn't help that their isn't a faq on this or a chart by MS. But i'm going to try to update the thread. Its obvious we all need a clear picture on this. At least until Major Nelson helps us all out :D. Its hard to tell with all the conflicting reports from around the web.

Alright, cool. Yeah, it is hard to tell with the conflicting reports. Even Microsoft themselves don't seem to know how their system works at times.

The OP has misinformation, the Xbox one has digital sharing and yes the PS4 has DRM.

The PS4 does not have DRM. They have the same system which is in place now which puts DRM in the hands of publishers..xbox currently has this same system for the 360. FYI. Im sure everyone knows this, but you seem to think they have it exclusively like the XBone does..

The PS4 does not have DRM. They have the same system which is in place now which puts DRM in the hands of publishers..xbox currently has this same system for the 360. FYI. Im sure everyone knows this, but you seem to think they have it exclusively like the XBone does..

Digital Rights Management....

PS4 has digital and disk DRM, they are both system-wide and without choice by publishers.

Back