Xbox One Wall outlet or surge protector?

Bryanpog

What are your thoughts on plugging the xbox one into a wall outlet directly or using a higher end surge protector? I've always used one but i see that like the 360 Microsoft is advising to plug the console directly into a wall out let.

I've always used a surge protector. But i've always needed it because of all things i need to plug in around my media center. Its never affected my performance that i can see and pervents things from getting fried. Win Win in my eyes. Unless you only have a TV and the Xbox One, I don't see another way to be able to have everything you want plugged in without one.

Surge protector alright! The last thing i wanted is for a blackout or a thunderstorm to just decide to burn something as expensive as my electronics! Everything that is important to me in terms of hardware goes through that first.

I'd suggest the surge protector. You never know what might happen, and it's better to be safe than sorry.
I've always used one and nothing bad has happened to my electronics.

I have never plugged any high end electronic directly to a wall outlet. Surge protector always! Not the cheap ones either, buy a dependable one.

Add another vote for using a good surge protector. I can't think of any situation where having one would ever do any additional harm, and a good surge protector can save your electronics in a bad situation.

The only reason you'd need a surge protector for a gaming console is if you are hooking it up to a full blown entertainment system. The PS3, 360, and more then likely the new ONE and PS4 won't ever have to worry about overvoltage and getting shorted out like a computer would. Consoles are made to withstand higher temperatures and surges since technically they get surged every time the unit is powered on and off. I use a surge protector for my 360, but that's because I also have my monitor, router, computer, and charger all hooked up to it.

You can find a surge protector on Amazon for under $10 which offers $20,000 insurance on items plugged into it. I hardly see a reason to buy one any "higher end" than that. If it makes you feel better to spend $200 on one, knock yourself out.

UPS battery backup for me. I plug everything (TiVo, TV, Receiver) into them in case the power goes out. And they offer surge protection too.
Bought a new one just for the Xbox.

What are your thoughts on plugging the xbox one into a wall outlet directly or using a higher end surge protector? I've always used one but i see that like the 360 Microsoft is advising to plug the console directly into a wall out let.

Its better to invest in the surge protector. Things happen, and so does sh!t happen. Better to be fully ready and if something happens to say - "yes, i did forecast that." then being sorry for all the electronics and throw them in the trash. Invest once - don't worry for a life time

I never use these protectors. Been through storms and electric charges. nothing serious at all. Each house is equipped with electric current jump prevention system, so in my opinion there is no point in using that. But still - it's your choice. If you would feel more secure - get it

I never use these protectors. Been through storms and electric charges. nothing serious at all. Each house is equipped with electric current jump prevention system, so in my opinion there is no point in using that. But still - it's your choice. If you would feel more secure - get it

Not for nothing, but I think you should Google this as they can actually help protect your equipment a lot. Plugging directly into
a home wall outlet really protects against very little.

How Surge Protectors Help

Standard electrical outlets don’t have any protection against power surges and spikes. Surge protectors are generally made and sold in the form of power strips, although you can also buy single-outlet surge protectors that sit against the socket and provide a single, protected outlet. You can also pick up travel surge protectors, which are small, offer fewer outlets, and will fit in a laptop bag.

Surge protectors use a variety of different methods to do this, but they generally boil down to a system that diverts energy over the safe threshold to a protective component in the surge protector itself. The surge protector ensures that only the normal, safe amount of electricity passes through to your devices.

Surges don't just happen during storm. When not using a pretector your allowing "dirty" power into your machine. Meaning the way power travels into you home and then into your console its not a steady steam. It resembles what you see on a heart monitor. These variances can be really bad for major electronics, surge protectors steady the stream so there's no peaks.

Surges don't just happen during storm. When not using a pretector your allowing "dirty" power into your machine. Meaning the way power travels into you home and then into your console its not a steady steam. It resembles what you see on a heart monitor. These variances can be really bad for major electronics, surge protectors steady the stream so there's no peaks.

you are a 100% correct there. I always use one. TV, 360, PC - everything goes through that. I wish they did not cost that much, but whatever. Its a thing to keep in mind all the time. Safety first, you don't want to cry later or search a repair shop nearby and spent twice as much as the surge thing costs

I've always plugged expensive electronics like video game consoles, TVs, and computers into surge protectors. I know it's rare to have lightning come through an outlet and actually fry something, but it happened to one of our big screens years ago and ever since, I've been a fanatic about surge protectors.

I recommend using the thing, Better to be sure and not be worrying after. If something happens - there you go, it saved your tech's life. But if not - there you go, you have a fully functional surge protector. I have two, in fact. One for the console and tv, the other is for the PC and other techy stuff.

This isn't about wether or not to hook up all your equipment to the surge protector. I have an elaborate home theater and it a all run through two surge protectors. I'm talking specifically about the console. If you look on xbox one supports website under "connect your xbox one power supply" it specifically tells you not to do that and just go straight to a wall outlet. I can't post a link and tapatalk won't let me post the pic I have but it can be googled.

This isn't about wether or not to hook up all your equipment to the surge protector. I have an elaborate home theater and it a all run through two surge protectors. I'm talking specifically about the console. If you look on xbox one supports website under "connect your xbox one power supply" it specifically tells you not to do that and just go straight to a wall outlet. I can't post a link and tapatalk won't let me post the pic I have but it can be googled.

Yea i just saw that myself. Here's a pic

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1385060903313.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1385060903313.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 3
Back