Xbox One Wall outlet or surge protector?

This isn't about wether or not to hook up all your equipment to the surge protector. I have an elaborate home theater and it a all run through two surge protectors. I'm talking specifically about the console. If you look on xbox one supports website under "connect your xbox one power supply" it specifically tells you not to do that and just go straight to a wall outlet. I can't post a link and tapatalk won't let me post the pic I have but it can be googled.

Btw on tapatalk when ur in the reply box hit the "three dots" on the top right to attach a pic

Wasn't thinking about a surge protector, but now I'm considering getting one while waiting for Walmart to issue the systems to us tonight.

J

Well Xbox Support says to not use one

I know, but my apartment has some suspect outlets. Too many things on at the same time and you blow a fuse. Just don't wanna ruin a 500.00 game system :(

J

I know, but my apartment has some suspect outlets. Too many things on at the same time and you blow a fuse. Just don't wanna ruin a 500.00 game system :(

Mine is going in the surge protector I posted about above as it has a guarantee that covers any problems and pays if anything happens.

My 360 was in it and nothing ever happened.

I'm talking specifically about the console. If you look on xbox one supports website under "connect your xbox one power supply" it specifically tells you not to do that and just go straight to a wall outlet. .
That recommendation is obvious once you ask a damning question. What do those existing two surge protectors do? Does a 2 cm part inside stop what three miles of sky could not? That is what most believe mostly due to advertising.. Does its hundreds of joules absorb surge energy that is hundreds of thousands of joules? Of course not.

Break one open. The Xbox or entertainment center connects directly to AC mains with or without that protector. However the protector can give a surge even more paths to find earth destructively via an entertainment center or Xbox.

Why do so many recommend that protector? The phrase 'surge protector' sounds like surge protection. So it must do protection? No. Read its specifications. It only claim to protect from a type of surge that is small; that typically cause no damage.

All electronics contain robust protection. Your concern is the rare surge, maybe once every seven years, that can blow through that existing protection. Protectors adjacent to electronics do not even claim protection from that type of surge.

Your telco leaves their $multi-million computers connected to wires all over town during every storm. How often was your town without phone service for four days while they replace that computer? Never? Because they never use the surge protector that so many recommend. Instead they use a completely different device, also called a surge protector, that is distant from electronics (as must as 50 meters) and low impedance (within feet) of earth ground. That separation (up to 50 m) increases protection. But far more important is the only item that harmlessly absorbs hundreds of thousands of joules. Protection is always about where that energy dissipates. Earth ground.

So, to have the only solution proven by over 100 years of science and experience and to comply with Xbox recommendations, install one 'whole house' protector. And upgrade what is the most important component of every protection 'system' - single point earth ground. This is not only the superior solution. This is also the least expensive solution. Does not violate those Xbox requirements. Is necessary to even protect those two protectors attached to your entertainment center.

to not use a surge protector is like a 1 night stand without condom....never leave home without it.

Surge protector indeed. That way you can avoid things from getting fried. You also have more space to plug other devices in. Also that leaves your wall outlet to general devices. Rule of thumb, when it comes to gadgets, plug it on a surge protector (You don't want to loose them just because they're fried)

Rule of thumb, when it comes to gadgets, plug it on a surge protector (You don't want to loose them just because they're fried)
Which is why dimmer switches and digital clocks are destroyed every hour. Why do they work for years without damage? They do not even have internal protections as robust as in computers and televisions. So why so many years without damage?

Again, because at least two posters did not understand. The protector adjacent to appliances is for surges that typically cause no damage - even to dimmer switches, refrigerators, and GFCIs. A completely different device, also called a surge protector, is for surges that actually overwhelm existing protection. Unfortunately many recommend protectors without even asking or learning what a protector does.

Why does a $3 power strip with ten cent protector parts sell for $20 or $80? They are marketing to consumers who never learn what a protector does. A completely different device, also called a surge protector, is the solution routinely found in facilities that can never have damage. But others are not recommending this superior (and less expensive) solution. Others have ignored the obvious - even smoke detectors and CFL bulbs have protection so robust as to remain undamaged for years without any protector. The concern is a different surge, maybe once every seven years, that a power strip does not even claim to protect from. And that also needs protection only provide by the other completely different device (also called a surge protector).

Surge protector, but now that my surge protector decided to die, it is plugged directly into the wall. Ugh, I should stop being lazy and just buy one already or at least get on on Amazon. I need to get it together.

Surge protector, but now that my surge protector decided to die, it is plugged directly into the wall.
You know a protector died because its light says so? That failure indicator only reports a protector was so grossly undersized as to fail. That same surge was also incoming to all other appliances including those connected to that protector. So a surge too tiny to damage any other appliance easily destroyed a grossly undersized protector?

A completely different device, also called a surge protector, also protects undersized power strip protectors. A majority have never heard of and do not understand why a 'whole house' protector is the only solution earthed in every facility that cannot have damage. No damage even to power strip protectors.

Surge protector all the way. All my previous consoles have always had the surge protector, to make sure nothing happens to my consoles. While Microsoft advises that you plug it directly, it's really better to safe than sorry to plug it into the surge protector. Sometimes, yeah, the chances of the XB1 getting cooked up is slim but even so, why take the risk? Also, it'll keep your Xbox One safe. Plus, sometimes, outlets might spark like fireworks. In my time, one of my outlets sparked like a balloon popped. I sure as hell didn't plug any of my consoles on that outlet. Since then, I just went full throttle with the protectors. Kept me safe since then.

It is never a bad idea to plug it into a surge protector. I doubt anything will happen if it is plugged into the wall, but you never know. It isn't worth losing an expensive console during a freak power outage.

It is never a bad idea to plug it into a surge protector.
Learn why that belief is contradicted when a simple question is answered ... such as what does a protector do? Following reasons demonstrate that advertising and hearsay have created your erroneous assumption.

spark_777's outlets sparked because he did not have the other and different solution called a surge protector. Be concerned if receptacles spark. Because a plug-in protector, not protected by an earthed 'whole house' protector, might create a fire.

Pictures demonstrate the danger even in a protector that otherwise claims to be functional. But the system requires you to reconstruct these URLs.
Triple w dot zerosurge.com slash technical-info/truth-about-movs
All 6 MOVs removed from circuit board, but "Protection Working" LED (immediately above large yellow capacitor) remains lit.
Obviously nothing here recommends a Zerosurge product as a solution. This sentence included because some may jump to conclusions without grasping what is stated and what facts report.

Norma in "The Power Outage":
Today, the cable company came to replace a wire. Well the cable man pulled a wire and somehow yanked loose their "ground" wire. The granddaughter on the computer yelled and ran because sparks and smoke were coming from the power surge strip.
Where is protection? Why assume that protector will avert sparks from a receptacle when even the manufacturer does not claim that protection? Because advertising said it was a surge protector? Therefore is must protect from everything? That is wild speculation. Where are facts and numbers that justify the conclusion?

An adjacent protector can even make damage easier. One informed statement from Microsoft agrees with science and contradicts posted speculations. Microsoft recommends not using a plug-in protector. Over 100 years of proven science recommends earthing one 'whole house' protector. So that even plug-in protectors do not cause a house fire - that Norma almost witnessed.

No one has said why an adjacent protector provides any protection. Even manufacturer specifications do not make that protection claim.

kx250rider on 31 May 2012 describes in “what a protector really does”:
Adding to the bottom line on "surge protectors", I was a TV repairman for years, and I can't tell you how many people whined to me, "I can't understand why my TV blew when the power surge came... I had it plugged into a protector!".
He also describes an APC created fire. One can appreciate the problem even cited by the Consumer Product Safety Council (you must reconstruct it):
Triple w dot cpsc.gov slash /en/Recalls/2014 slash Schneider-Electric-Recalls-APC-Surge-Protectors
Name of product:
APC SurgeArrest surge protectors
Hazard:
The surge protectors can overheat, smoke and melt, posing a fire hazard.
Remedy:
Replace

Do you believe wild speculation? Or learn facts and numbers to do what Microsoft recommends? Many recommend a plug-in protector only because it was the first recommendation they heard. Any recommendation that does not also say why with numbers is best ignored as hearsay. Their belief denies what science, numbers, facts, experience, and Microsoft recommend.

Hmmmm... I've used external outlets, if that helps .I don't plug any of my consoles (PS1, PS2, PS3) directly to the outlet. I just use an external outlet. Only once did I plug it in the wall outlet. That was the PS1 but only because it was in somebody else's house, Other than that, it's always been on the external outlet.

Mine is going in the surge protector I posted about above as it has a guarantee that covers any problems and pays if anything happens.

My 360 was in it and nothing ever happened.

I kinda feel the same way. I don't have a slew of outlets in the living room and a surge protector would really be the best solution for extra outlet plugs.

J

westom we get it, you dont like power strips aka so called surge protectors.

westom we get it, you dont like power strips aka so called surge protectors.
Emotion is completely irrelevant. If a protector does protection, then it says so for each type of surge with numbers. Any recommendation without reasons why and manufacturer spec numbers is bogus. Unfortunately, scams are easily promoted when one 'likes' something rather than learn which products actually 'do' something useful.

Back