Original Xbox What did you like the most about the Xbox?

William

I'm curious to know what your favorite features of the original Xbox was... I mean, were there any of its technical specifications that made you decide to purchase it?

It seemed to be the best console of its time. I remember doing some research regarding the specifications of the original Xbox and the Playstation 2, and the Xbox was the winner as far as customer support was concerned. There were also a lot more games available for the original Xbox than for any of the other consoles...

I actually never had an original Xbox. I came over from the dark side. I had a PS2 but decided that the Xbox 360 was a better console all around with better online gaming than the PS3.

To be honest, initially, I only got it to play Forza. :)) But then I discovered a lot of awesome games and didn't regret I got it. So my main reason was the games available for it, which I could play before being available for PC.

Overall and I am talking all of the years its been around, its been one that has stood through a ton of stuff. You are not always hearing about a ton of exploits (like you do with PlayStation). You hear a better fan base of people modding their units out, online community with support, etc.

I mostly like the games on it. I have played on PS before so I already know the drill regarding sensors and stuff but the games on the xbox are better than the ones on the old PS.

The feature I liked the most about the original Xbox was the controllers. Prior to the Xbox all of the gaming consoles had pretty small controllers and your hands could get uncomfortable after awhile.

Honestly, I didn't buy the Xbox because certain features it specifically had. I bought the Xbox because the types of games and more of my friends had it.
Having more friends with an Xbox means we can trade games and have more controllers if need be.

It had great graphics at the time - better than the Gamecube or the PS2. It also had great online support and some of the best FPS games on a console. Aside from FPS games, racing, adventure, and fighting games were also excellent on the original Xbox. I hated the controller though.

In 2006 it did indeed have great graphics. Now it, along with the PS3, is behind the times. I really wonder what new innovations they will bring to the 720 or whatever name it is.

Halo 2 was BY FAR! the best game for the original xbox console :)

I'm curious to know what your favorite features of the original Xbox was... I mean, were there any of its technical specifications that made you decide to purchase it?

The Xbox had a hard drive. At that time people were still using those little memory cards on the PS2. The Xbox was the first console with a hard drive. It was basically a Windows computer devoted solely to playing games.

Young kids take it for granted that now all consoles have hard drives, downloadable content and online multiplayer but the Xbox was the first console to have all those things, and XBox Live was unique at the time.
While Sony fans were still using those little memory cards on the PS2, Xbox owners were ripping music to create custom soundtracks for games, downloading extra content , buying games on Xbox Live and playing against their friends and trash talking on the headset. Other consoles have copied all that stuff now, but Xbox did it first.

i like how powerful of a system it was it was also the first to really focus on interent gaming and connecting with others

i like how powerful of a system it was it was also the first to really focus on interent gaming and connecting with others

Absolutely, Xbox broke new ground for internet gaming and Xbox Live was a big deal when it came out. Everyone is used to playing online with friends now, but Xbox started that. I think people that are asking "What was good about the Xbox?" must be too young to remember the days before internet gaming. The PS2 and Gamecube did not have hard drives, PSN and the Nintendo Wii channels didn't exist back then. Xbox Live was it.

If you wanted to play online against friends, unlock achievements and download new content for a game, you needed an Xbox to do that.

To me, it boils down to the variety of games the console has compared to its competitors. That is the major reason for an Xbox console in my house!

Halo 2 and the original Xbox Live was the combination that attracted me towards the original Xbox, the fact that my friends also played Xbox also contributed to my decision.

Halo and Tiger Woods. Other than that, the controller was IMO clunky and I hated trying to get online with the adapter. I far preferred the PS2 to the original Xbox.

Back