Xbox One Will the XBox 720 play bluray

dagscot

From
Santa Paula, CA
I've built up a fair collection of HD movies on bluray and I know the playstation 3 has a bluray drive. Will the next XBox have a BD player or is physical media going to be replaced by streaming video?

I can't answer you from a point of authority but chances are that it may have. Consider the fact that it is going to be released after PS3 which has the Bluray derive and thus it will make no competitive sense for such an upgrade to lack crucial features found in Playstation 3!.

Blu-Ray was developed, in part, by Sony. Not entirely, but they were a significant player in the creation and deployment of the format when it was initially being researched and invented. Microsoft initially backed HD-DVD, and planned to work with Toshiba to make HD-DVD players, especially after Blu-ray decided not to use their HDi interactivity technology.

So it's possible, I suppose, that Microsoft will license the Blu-ray format to make it compatible for the 720; the PS3 was a major factor in Blu-ray winning the format war. If they don't do it, they're missing a huge chunk of market there; I certainly bought my PS3 in part because I'm a film nerd and I wanted the chance to see things in HD. But it might be a begrudging feature addition, and if Sony has any business sense at all they'll make the licensing costs OUTRAGEOUSLY high.

Sad but true. It's the way of business.

I'm guessing it will, but I don't think it'll be a big deal for most people (including myself). I'll most likely just use the streaming feature that will be implemented in the next Xbox for all my video needs.

I doubt they'll play blue ray unless they are paid a fee because companies don't like to promote other company's products if they don't have a financial reason to do it. It's all about the money with wall st listed companies. Someone at Blue Ray needs to make a pitch, asap.

There is no confirmation yet whether xbox will ever support Blu-ray movie playback. However, looking at how Microsoft runs their business, most likely they are not going to support Blu-ray since they will not be earning from it. Look at how strict their licenses are, if you didn’t buy from Microsoft it doesn’t play on Microsoft.

The rumors I had heard were saying that it's likely to be blu-ray actually. They may not earn directly from it, but they'll gain more buyers by offering it, I think. And they can also produce larger games that way, so it would make sense to include it.

Sony is very proprietary about their format and what devices can play it. Since the 360 is a competing device with their Playstation, they very well may not grant Microsoft the rights to use it.

However, it isn't impossible for Microsoft to cook up their own proprietary format. It's been a while since bluray released after all.

The latest rumors going around suggest this as a possibility. But that's all they are. Rumors. Stupid rumors with no good sources or proof. I kinda doubt it will play BDs, I think MSoft might just come up with their own new format or something.

Apparently bluray is IN but unfortunately so is a stupid first-time activation code system so that only the original buyer/system can play the things. You won't be able to have your friends bring over their game to play on your console anymore apparently.

I really hope they rethink that strategy or I will be sticking with the 360, or the computer at that point. My comp already plays Bluray and I don't need a stinking xbox gold membership to do it.

I highly doubt this possibility as Song and Microsoft are competing companies in the console markets and I don't think Microsoft would be willing to pay for the licensing of bluray. There is a possibility that they might use a next-gen disk which I've read about a while ago that Is capable of holding up to 500GB. Unfortunately I couldn't find the link that I saw this from but It looked very interesting and maybe the successor for the bluray disks.

I highly doubt this possibility as Song and Microsoft are competing companies in the console markets and I don't think Microsoft would be willing to pay for the licensing of bluray. There is a possibility that they might use a next-gen disk which I've read about a while ago that Is capable of holding up to 500GB. Unfortunately I couldn't find the link that I saw this from but It looked very interesting and maybe the successor for the bluray disks.

Yeah, the new 500gb discs that use hologram reflections by GE. I just looked those up.

That's pretty cool (considering blurays only hold 20-100 gbs max) but what on earth would be stored on them? Games never exceed 10gbs or so, and even if a game were made with tons of awesome high res textures and a long storyline to take advantage of all that space, the loading times would be sooooooooo long because the memory and read speeds of the drive wouldn't be fast enough to load that much info very quickly.

I don't really see this being practical. It would also be expensive to manufacture.

I hope so, would be a huge step in the right direction, then they stop used games... That's an even bigger step back. I might seem like I go on about the used-games rumor, but it is very believable, and certainly unacceptable.

It was definitely a big deal breaker for me when I first got my Xbox 360. I knew I wouldn't use the HD-DVD format and went with the Blu-Ray. I thought they were pretty much equal as far as a gaming console, with PS3 having a slight edge in hardware. I ended up getting both eventually. I'm sure Microsoft is gonna be smart about it and find a way to include it somehow, whether or not they have to license it or not.

I'm assuming it will. Considering that games are getting bigger and bigger, if Microsoft sticks to the HD-DVD format, games may well be on 5 or more discs soon.

I don't really see how they can do that activation code system. Something like that would destroy businesses like Gamefly and Gamestop. I think Microsoft would be losing profits by cutting those two out so I don't think it's going to happen.

I'm assuming it will. Considering that games are getting bigger and bigger, if Microsoft sticks to the HD-DVD format, games may well be on 5 or more discs soon.

Microsoft doesn't use the HD-DVD format. They released an add-on for the 360 that used it, but later discontinued it. Xbox games come on normal DVDs.

I think microsoft would move to the blu-ray parade with a new gen console i think it would be annoying to have a 3 disk set game like LA noir. its unnecessary to put the consumer through such an ordeal of switching disks. plus i dont think there would be a wow factor for ither new gen console other then the fact the gaming will be like its own social network witch is nice but me personally i could careless about having a live streaming a game of me playing n whooping ass on youtube.

If the leaked Durango SDKs are legitimate, (and we have very good reason to believe they are) the new Xbox will indeed have a Blu Ray drive. Don't take this as a confirmation, but it's highly likely.

I know that they are always competing with Sony, so I think they will try to match them with a blue ray player. It may be a little unneeded, but it can really give them a higher rating to some people. Nowadays with Netflix and all, there really isn't a point, but I really think it could raise the bar.

Back