Xbox One Will the XBox 720 play bluray

The new Xbox apparently comes with a Blu-ray drive! I personally hope this rumor Is true I can't really see what else they can move on to apart from maybe online downloads only ? But then you would have no optical drive.

I'm not hearing anything new about the XBox 730 just now. The spotlight is on the PS4 for the moment. I'm hearing rumours about an XBox reveal in May. Can't wait :)

The new Xbox apparently comes with a Blu-ray drive! I personally hope this rumor Is true I can't really see what else they can move on to apart from maybe online downloads only ? But then you would have no optical drive.

The average internet connection speed can't accommodate that really. Lots of people don't want to wait hours for their games to download and update.

If the XBOX go for Blu-Ray they will be paying SONY because as 'Mia' said, it was developed by SONY. That means every Blu-Ray Player you have ever seen has payed SONY to use that technology whether that was just buying the drives or licensing the technology, SONY is getting paid.
Would Microsoft pay for that technology?
Is the revenue they will generate from Blu-Ray Significant enough to out weigh the horror of paying their rivals to use their technology? Not in my opinion it isn't but, unless they come up with their own proprietary device (which isn't impossible for Microsoft they are a world leader in computer innovation) they will be stuck finding a format that will cope with the huge games that are going to be coming out in the near future.

They would pay the license fee to use for blu-ray drives in the new xbox. At this time it would far out-weigh the fees to make games on blu-rays as you can pack much more on the disc than you can regular DVD's. You'll also have the other half of the game download from the net but I think we'll see a half physical half streaming for the next few years. As others had mentioned, a large portion of the country has limits in how fast they can download and even more so have strict data caps that would make downloading games fully an issue.

TO be honest i do not think they have a choice about putting a blu-ray drive in, either they put a blu-ray drive in it or they go for no disk drive at all, dvds just don't have enough room for the current games for example on pc max payne 3 was 26gb but a dvd only has 8gb

I really hope that Microsoft will have Blu-ray included in the next Xbox! Not only for movies, but also for the fact that developers will be able to include more content onto the disks. I'm also really hoping for the Xbox to have 1080p capabilities! There is so many things on my wishlist for the new Xbox! I really hope they do an amazing job on this, because people could easily be disappointed.

I doubt it. Bluray is about to go the way of VHS, Xbox likely won't bother.

I certainly hope so - if it did, that would blow PS3 completely out of the way. Considering the fact that blu-ray capability (and free online play) is the only thing that makes the PS3 better than the Xbox, blu-ray capability would lure all those Sony-lovers towards the best console there is - the Xbox. Regardless, I'm super excited for the 720 and even if it doesn't play Blu-Ray, i'm buying it anyway.

I don't see a reason for the Xbox to not have a blu-ray player in the first place. The PS3 exclusive games are so much more vast compared to the Xbox ones, since a blu-ray disc can hold far more than a standard media disc. If the next Xbox comes without a blu-ray player, I will lost hope in the console market.

This is a feature that would be very helpful for people. People nowadays are trying to consolidate technology, so it would sense if Microsoft had this insight in mind when releasing their new Xbox... People have very high expectations for this new console, I hope that Microsoft will live up to them!

i think microsoft will give in the the bluray drives because having a four disk game isn't cool anymore.

It would be the most sensible thing to do, but what about the 360 games then? You couldn't play them on your new system?

Because that might chance my opinion on buying the console.

Back