Xbox One Xbox One DRM & Sharing Guide

PB7

Former Administrator
This guide is no longer required. Xbox One is now adopting the same policies as the Xbox 360. Please see this thread -> https://www.xboxforums.com/threads/4632

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So with all the hit and miss information we decided to start a new official thread for how DRM and see if we can't get a clearer picture of where we are going from here. Obviously their is a lot of uncertainty and frustration around the internet. A lot of people don't understand what the whole picture equates to. Hopefully, as this thread evolves, we can continually update it with new information of what we know. So i'll try and break it down with everything we know so far below. As the PS4 DRM is going to be up to the developers when its comes to additional restrictions, we won't cover that. But with the publishers all deciding what they want to do i can see it being a mess of Sony. Here is what we know so far in regards to Xbox One.

If you come across any additional information or additional bullets that this thread needs then let us know here and i'm sure a mod like myself will update the thread. We want to keep this thread as accurate and up to date as possible.

Physical & Digital Content:

How it works
*All Games will be available on digital and physical media. Once a game is installed it becomes part of your digital library. It will be linked to your Xbox Live id. You won't need the disc to play. Its now tied to your digital library. The physical media and digital copies will be the same price.
*You can log into any Xbox with your id and get access to your games. Simple as that.

Used Game Selling or Gifting
*If you sell that game back then their may be a fee to use that game again on another system enforced by the publisher and not Microsoft. From what i understand its the developers discretion. Microsoft has stated it doesn't receive any compensation as part of that. So you may have to blame the developers who choose to implement them.
*If you gift a game to your friend or other you must meet two requirements.
  • Have said person on your friends list for at least 30 days.
  • Can only give a game once.
*Its important to note that 3rd party publishers have the choice of whether they want to allow to gift a game.

Renting Games
****We have no information how these rules apply to the game renting market like GameFly. As soon as we know something we will update this thread with that information. Microsoft has said that loaning or renting games will not be available at launch as they are exploring avenues in that area still.

Sharing the games with others & Family:

Family Circle
*Xbox One allows for a family circle with people outside of your household to share a circle. This allows them to share the same games.
*10 people can be apart of your Family network and people outside of their household. We don't know what family member or out side of their household means at this point but hopefully soon..
*You and another person in your 10 can be playing the same game at any given time. You don't have to be logged in for them to play a game in the library.
*The family circle will have access to all the games in the library being shared.

Borrowing Games:
*The people in your 10 are allowed to borrow games or basically free to download. It would seem the Family Circle is the borrowing game policy in a sense.

Other Aspects:

24 Period Check In
*Xbox One will require a periodic user to check in every 24 hours via the internet.
*Offline gaming will only be available for 24 hours or one hour if you are logged into a different console.
*Since games will be available digital once connected to your account. Microsoft needs a way to protect your copy of the game and make sure its not pirated.
***Their is a rumor per IGN wiki that a special exemption will be given to internet free zones. When we learn more then we will post it here.

This is a work in progress thread. If you anybody comes across any additional information please let us know so we can update the thread!

A point from Yusef Medhi in an interview, in order to join the circle you do not need to be a family member. He used an example as: a friend that lives 3,000 miles away. Looks like Microsoft is being pretty lenient with this.

look for an article from Major Nelson sometime this week or next.

EDIT: also there are conflicting reports on whether or not there can be simultaneous play of the same game between the owner and the person accessing it via share.

There are A LOT of different stories about this, including a long conversation i had with a microsoft representative that lines up pretty well with most known concrete fact but has some odd rumor-worthy information.

I appreciate the help, ill try and look those up and update the thread. I'm looking forward to major nelson thread on the issue.

I appreciate the help, ill try and look those up and update the thread. I'm looking forward to major nelson thread on the issue.

Hopefully they are getting the executives, engineers and PR together to finally clarify this stuff.

Yeah, it would be nice to see Major's blog hopefully clarifying all of this when he posts it up since there's just been so many conflicting reports about this lately. I mean, the ideal scenario would be you and a friend being able to play on a game at the same time but I could also probably see that being too good to be true. I sorta see more of that library comparison Larry made in that interview where you could play a game in the shared list if nobody else is on it.

Yeah, it would be nice to see Major's blog hopefully clarifying all of this when he posts it up since there's just been so many conflicting reports about this lately. I mean, the ideal scenario would be you and a friend being able to play on a game at the same time but I could also probably see that being too good to be true. I sorta see more of that library comparison Larry made in that interview where you could play a game in the shared list if nobody else is on it.

The sad thing is even if they did finally clarify it most people would refuse to even listen to Major Nelson.

Yeah, I agree. I do think people seem to take this witch hunt they have against MS to an extreme but I will say that Microsoft's PR has been pretty poor ever since they announced the Xbox One. I mean, it looks bad when you have people like Phil Harrison, Major Nelson & others saying different things all the time because it just makes everything so confusing. It is a shame really because if they got out ahead of this to begin with and never had so many conflicting answers I do think some people wouldn't be as angry as they are.

Oh, who am I kidding? They would still be acting the same way. ;)

This thread is much better than the other one, much clearer, better organized and better presented. Thank you.

Sure thing, Clap. Hopefully i can update it soon with some better info.

The fee that can be enforced by publishers must be paid by Gamestop not the owner.

Yes and no, i mean what really stops them from passing the fee on to those people when they try to trade in or sell their games.

I gotcha, guess their is different dynamic on how other business models will change with the Xbox One. Really its a wait and see what they do game.

Great breakdown, cleared some questions I had in my mind. Hopefully, the 10 can be your friends as well. I really don't see the point of only sharing it with your family, why can't it be your friends as well? Here are some things you can add into your post as well: http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license.

Back