Xbox One Xbox One (More than just a game console?)

purpleguardian

As I'm sure most of you have seen the reveal, you know that the new Xbox One has a lot of features that don't have much to do with actual gaming. Half of the project is a dedicated processor for multitasking, making the Xbox One far more than a simple gaming console. (Not that any gaming console is simple these days) But the point is, how do you feel about Microsoft exploring new technologies that aren't strictly game related? The Xbox has always been able to surf the web, but with these new voice controls and facial recognition, it is almost as if it is a supercomputer and not just a console. (It definitely made me think of 2001 a space Odyssey).

I will be honest, so far it sounds like everything BUT a game console. I am waiting until E3, though. I hope they show GAMES there...

I will be honest, so far it sounds like everything BUT a game console. I am waiting until E3, though. I hope they show GAMES there...

When did they call it a game console? lol And yes, they will be showcasing the games at E3. They've said that since the announcement of the #XboxReveal. Well, Major Nelson did anyways.

8eea77d15183b565742823a8be526b41.png

I think they concentrated too much on it being a media centre rather than a solid gaming system, but hey it can do both. I do think the Xbox One is getting some harsh criticism, only time can tell how worthy it's going to be and how it's going to rack up performance wise to it's initial value.

I think they concentrated too much on it being a media centre rather than a solid gaming system, but hey it can do both. I do think the Xbox One is getting some harsh criticism, only time can tell how worthy it's going to be and how it's going to rack up performance wise to it's initial value.

Good point, I guess you are right and we will just have to wait and see what E3 will show. Still haven't decided between ps4 or Xbox One yet as I'm not really a fan boy. But if I was a fanboy it would probably be with Nintendo but the Wii U looks terribly outdated compared to this years ccompetition.

It's more of the Xbox 2 in one. It's being touted to be multi-functional but all I could hear is that it would be a killer game system and would also be a great TV. Don't know how that would play out though. All in all, this is a very ambitious project by Microsoft. A lot of positives and negatives have been pointed out. I myself am not agreeing with where the Xbox is going. But I'll sure stick around to find out how well it goes.

Yeah, I'd prefer just a regular game console, but they're making it some sort of family entertainment system.. There's already the Wii U, and the 360 has everything I've ever needed. Like I keep saying though, I'm just going to wait till E3 and they have more announcements that will change my mind.

I have actually stated this before. Xbox aims for entertainment, with gaming only being one of the options, while PS4 looks at it like it's a pure gaming console. Chances are, more games will be released on the PS4. That's only my opinion though. E3 has to come before I actually make any decisions.

Nah, Xbox has alway been geared towards gaming in my opinion but cause its Microsoft would always have multimedia capabilities in the background as additional features. Then the addition of an external Bly ray drive shows multimedia was an after thought for the 360, not to mention the fact that you have to have Xbox live gold just to watch Netflix. Clearly not a multimedia focused console. Capable yes, geared towards? No.
The One is clearly more focused in getting the multimedia bit right with its capabilities but, if I still can't watch Netflix without gold, then they still haven't cracked cause even my ancient Wii can do that.

Your getting more for your money and its changing how you use entertainment in your living room/bed room all together. I don't see why many are arguing about all the extra features. It still has games, it still improves in the gaming side, and will continue to be a gaming console inside. Your getting more stuff of your buck and if you don't want to use the extras, don't.

I TOTALLY agree with you, I really don't get why everyone is mad that it has all the TV functionality. Easy fix: don't use it. Just because they haven't gone into details on the games yet too much, doesn't mean it doesn't have any. Wait to see what else they announce at E3. People are just so eager to hate this Xbox, I just don't get it. Meanwhile, from what I've seen on my friends list, most of my friends are on Xbox Live using Netflix, there is a ton of TV watching going on on the Xbox.

At the moment, it's doing too many things I think.

I love the ability to minimize, and instantly switch between things. But other than that, it seems like a 360 with better hardware - that plays live TV and can rent movies.
I want an Xbox for gaming, so when they announce a bunch of features for live TV and movies, the ability to see what my friends like without having to ask them... It's just not for me.

If the gaming side of the Xbox One doesn't look much brighter after E3, I may have to give this console a miss. I'm not sure yet.

At the moment, it's doing too many things I think.

I love the ability to minimize, and instantly switch between things. But other than that, it seems like a 360 with better hardware - that plays live TV and can rent movies.
I want an Xbox for gaming, so when they announce a bunch of features for live TV and movies, the ability to see what my friends like without having to ask them... It's just not for me.

If the gaming side of the Xbox One doesn't look much brighter after E3, I may have to give this console a miss. I'm not sure yet.

Why should it not be allowed to do too many things? I think more things for my buck is by far better than fewer things for my buck. If its not for you, ignore it. They have all these different games on consoles, but you don't play them all because they're not all for you. Its a choice, an option, on the console that you can do if you wanted to do. Your not required to use the features.

Your getting more for your money and its changing how you use entertainment in your living room/bed room all together. I don't see why many are arguing about all the extra features. It still has games, it still improves in the gaming side, and will continue to be a gaming console inside. Your getting more stuff of your buck and if you don't want to use the extras, don't.

The problem might not be the console itself, but the reveal. The reveal showed basically NO GAMES, so it obviously disappoints people. They see all this focus on non-gaming stuff and it feels like Microsoft's focus has shifted from gaming to everything... with a side of gaming

The problem might not be the console itself, but the reveal. The reveal showed basically NO GAMES, so it obviously disappoints people. They see all this focus on non-gaming stuff and it feels like Microsoft's focus has shifted from gaming to everything... with a side of gaming

It was a console reveal, not a game reveal. They said the full list of blockbuster games would be showcased at E3 19 days after the console reveal.

Well, by each new console, we are losing what is the most important, so, my honest opinion here:
Xbox One, it only does everything but One thing: games.

I don't think they should have called it Xbox One, it would have been much better off being called Xbox 720! But, better stay on topic. I agree that it looks like more of a supercomputer, but imagine having to move around to use your laptop or computer, while gaming. All the Xbox really did was connect the two, so it makes your gaming interaction quicker, faster, and more enjoyable. I'm pretty sure that computer will become obsolete, or at least be merged with either smartphones or gaming consoles in the near future. Only time will tell though :)

It was a console reveal, not a game reveal. They said the full list of blockbuster games would be showcased at E3 19 days after the console reveal.

True enough, but first impressions are important, and this case the first impressions were "TV, TV, TV, TV, sports, sports, COD, need kinect, need to connect at least once 24 hour"

Back