Xbox 360 Biggest Factor in buying a Game?

Torisaur

What comes first when you buy a game? Is it quality? Pre-release reviews and opinions? How many fans are wildly screeching about it, wildly awaiting its release? Maybe you base your buying off of price. Whatever it may be, I think we all have preferences. I personally like to wait for a game to come out so I can see if the quality is as high as many people claim it to be.

I usually do my homework before I fork over $60. I look at previews, interviews, and early reviews. I like to stay informed and if what I see I know I will enjoy then it's worth the day one buy. If it's just intriguing but I'm still not sure I'll wait until it's been launched. There have been plenty of games that I've kept an eye on then decided to abandon because the previews and interviews weren't my cup of tea.

One thing is certain, i don't buy games because it has a good review. Most of the reviewers don't seem to like the same guys that i do, so i try to stay away from it. That aside, i always go with how much i want the game, and at what price it is in the moment. One golden rule that i have is not to buy games on release, always wait 1 or 2 months so i can get it cheaper. I always have a nice backlog to complete, so i don't need to waste more money on things i can and will get cheaper.

Only time I buy a game full price is if I know the brand or series. For example, I bought Skyrim full price and Mortal Kombat full price.
To buy a game though, I usually go by friends' recommendations or games I've played before. If it's a cheapy on the used rack at GameStop, I give in here and there...
Replay value is huge for me though. If I'm going to pay $60 for a game, I better be able to play it more than once.

Usually it has to be inventive for me to purchase it. That, and either open world or an extremely long single player campaign. I rarely purchase games at full retail price, but when I do, they almost always fall under these guidelines. For example, the past year I purchased Skyrim, Borderlands 2, Bioshock Infinite, and a few others I can't remember at the moment. This year, I plan on purchasing Beyond: Two Souls (for PS3), South Park: Stick of Truth, Grand Theft Auto V, and Watch Dogs. Notice how all of those are open world or completely different?

It's usually the price for me. I'm very much a patient gamer, meaning that I'm prepared to wait a couple of years for the game to go down in price and then to pick it up and still have a great time. I do sometimes pick up games on release but they have to have really good reviews and not mindless rubbish like 'it's a sequel to the franchise that we like so we will ignore all the problems and give it a 10/10' (cough cough Skyrim...)

Reviews definitely play a big role in my decision to buy a game or not. Other than that, I mostly have my franchises set and I buy their games regardless of what everyone else thinks.

It really depends on your own taste as well, so not all reviews will be 100% accurate for you. Demos also do help from time to time. For example NFS MW had an amazing demo and it made me buy the full game which I had no intends of buying otherwise.

I feel like peer pressure has driven me to buy a lot of the games I own. I know you're not supposed to do what everyone else is doing and try to be "cool", but I think it's more fun if you have friends you can play with online- personal friends, not just people you met online. I bought an Xbox 360 and Halo 3 just so I could play online with my friends back when I was in the 7th or 8th grade. You can never deny the power of peer pressure!

It makes sense though, right? If all your friends are playing it, then it has to be good.

Biggest factor is whether it is a game suited to what I enjoy. For me I love swordplay and magic. So I tend to shop for games along those lines.

The biggest factor for me in buying a game is the replayability factor of it. Of course other thngs such as visuals, story and gameplay are a big role in the makings of a game, but for me the most important thing is when I beat the game, do I still have a reason to play the game? There is nothing I dislike more than a game I beat in only a day or two and feel the need to sell it.

The biggest factor I look at is similar to Clark, alot of my games have replay value. They also are things I might want to try and do a completion run of at some point as well. I don't mind spending hours with my laptop open figuring out every nook and cranny of a game and I'm going to get my moneys worth so it works out in my favor. I agree entirely with some of the other posters as well. There's a lot you have to consider when you buy something full price. There are other games that I'm willing to buy twice sometimes from how amazing it is.

When buying a game, I don't usually go by what other people say about the game. I also don't care what the price is - I will buy it if I like it. I have bought, played, and liked many games that haven't gotten horrible reviews, but I for one have liked those games and would give them 5 stars. It's all about perspective. What one person likes, everyone else could dislike.

I think the back cover for me it shows what the game is all about, when i went to game one time i seen dynasty warriors and the back cover was poor then i looked at sr and instantly got it from what i seen.

I go by looking at a preview or review of the game and see if I'd still enjoy playing it after I've beaten it, or if its only good for a few weeks or days of play. I've made the mistake of buying a game I thought would be great but after a few days we'd beaten it and found it boring trying to replay it.

The features of the game are very important. I always look for detailed reports on the different features that a new game is going to have. I also look for game reviews and breakdowns.

Well, I tend to follow game reviews a bit too much. So much so that I've probably honestly missed out on some decent games along the way. I hate spending money on a game only to find that it's no bueno. I've been in the habit of waiting to buy a game at a cheaper price nowadays, which makes the less-amazing games a lot more fun somehow.

Besides the occasional triple A first person shooter series that comes out every year, I'm mainly into open world games such as Grand Theft Auto and the Saints Row series. Other then those, I might play a few racing games like Forza or even Test Drive. All of the other genres, I'm just not that interested in.

I really have to look into my ability to become immersed in the game. For me, that was my biggest draw to Skyrim. If I can't get involved in the game, why would I bother spending money on it? I'm willing to pay more for a good game that get a cheap crappy game that seems artificial and poorly made.

My biggest draw to a game is how well I can build it up in my mind. Like if I'm at GameStop and I pick up a box - if I look over the back cover and I can't conjure up a good mental movie then I'm not really going to get hyped enough to want to buy it. That mental movie is the first really big hook and then all the rest (reviews, preferences, cost) just sort of play off of it.

The biggedt factor is the game genre. No matter how good a game is, I won't be bothering with it if it's an Asian, Korean, Chinese or Russian MMO, a strategy game or a tower defense game.

Back