Xbox 360 Biggest Factor in buying a Game?

The biggedt factor is the game genre. No matter how good a game is, I won't be bothering with it if it's an Asian, Korean, Chinese or Russian MMO, a strategy game or a tower defense game.

...That is oddly specific - can I ask the reasoning behind all this? I can certainly understand - I don't really play tower defense games myself - but what's the deal with the MMOs? Feel free to ignore all of this, but it is an interesting question I'd like to know the answers to.

It usually amounts to how much bang I'm getting for my buck. That doesn't mean that the sheer amount of content trumps everything, because the quality of the content also matters, and the gameplay has to be solid or at least passable. I will also buy games that have excellent gameplay even if they are weak in other areas. I look at what the game offers, how it plays, professional and player reviews, (only consistently poor reviews discourage me, but excellent scores can definitely get me interested) and amount of content, but I may just go out on a limb and say the gameplay is the most important factor. That isn't to say games with stale gameplay can't be good or even great, but I most often want to be playing something fun with a lasting punch.

Quality of course. Price is a factor too but if you really wanna have some game you just buy it. No matter what.

The biggest factor whenever I buy a game is the reviews people say about it. I usually look at what most people have to say and why they said it. If it's a good game according to the reviews i'm more likely to buy it. However, not all our tastes in games are alike. One could love this game and hate another, vice versa. So sometimes, very rarely, I buy the game despite what most of what the reviews say.

The biggest factor in buying a game for me, has to be the entertainment value. If I buy a game, I have to know it will actually be entertaining, if I don't think the game will be entertaining then I will probably not purchase it.

I really don't dig into trailers and what not when it comes to a game because if I want a game I'm going to buy it, so I don't really mind the reviews. Their have been a lot of games that many people didn't like that I ended up loving, so I just drop the money and hope for the best. Fiscally it's probably not the best way to go about it, but everyone has different views on how good a game is, so I just leave the opinion to myself

What comes first when you buy a game? Is it quality? Pre-release reviews and opinions? How many fans are wildly screeching about it, wildly awaiting its release? Maybe you base your buying off of price. Whatever it may be, I think we all have preferences. I personally like to wait for a game to come out so I can see if the quality is as high as many people claim it to be.

There's a lot that factors into my buying a game. Pre-release advertising, pre-release reviews, post-release Twitch feeds of gameplay, and reviews by close friends who buy the game before I do. Price isn't really a big factor because almost all games release at the same price now -- 60 bucks.

Re-playability and playing time. I want to make sure my investment will give me plenty of hours of entertainment. If that's not the case then I'll just rent it from Gamefly.

It makes sense though, right? If all your friends are playing it, then it has to be good.

I believe that's case for most people. "You have to get this game NOW during the release week or else when you come around to talk about it 3 months later, no one will CARE."

Price and Twitch gameplay are the deciding factors for me. 99% of the time I'll pick up a game used and some months after its come out even if I want to pick it up at launch. The only games I put down money on without waiting/having to do research are Mario, Zelda, Metroid and Pokemon. Even though the Seal of Approval is gone (it should return), those franchises carry it in spirit.

Interesting to see Twitch gameplay and feeds mentioned. I used to go by reviews and decide whether I believe the game will give me enough replay value and be at least a vaguely different experience each time (RPGs usually got the greenlight), but around 2010-2011 I ditched reviews as the deciding factor and used them more for scouting since some sites (as ThunderSteel said) can be bought or are hyper biased when they're supposed to be fair across all platforms (it's one thing when it's a console specific site, then it probably comes down to genre bias).

At any rate, Twitch gameplay/commentary is the primary factor for me to go and pick up a game. I'm not just reading text and looking at this trailer that mainly shows cutscenes and not actual gameplay, I'm seeing a good amount of actual gameplay.

I should use Twitch. I've found myself becoming less and less impressed and trusting of reviews from larger gaming news outlets. If smaller blogs manage to get the game and try it out I'll probably entertain it.

You really should use Twitch, just sit back, chill for awhile, play a game while watching and so on.

Twitch is a good solution. I try to to reado some blogs as well, that's what actually helped inspire me to start my own gaming blog. I like sharing my opinion and knowing it's not influenced by some PR person.

Honestly, price has a lot to do with it if I'm shopping used. It is rare for me to buy a game at full price (largely because there is no reason to).

Honestly, price has a lot to do with it if I'm shopping used. It is rare for me to buy a game at full price (largely because there is no reason to).

I just don't have the patience to wait for game to drop significantly enough in price. If the used version is only $10 less than I rather buy it new. Besides I like being "in on the conversation" when a game first releases. Not to mention the exclusive DLC and extra content can be tempting for certain games. Last gen also had the whole "Online Pass" incentive.

The storytelling quality and the community. The gameplay is important but if there's no storytelling quality I just space out.

Story, gameplay and length of game. If it isn't long, I want a great multiplayer option that will make the game worth the money I spent on it. Take for example CoD: Ghosts. The campaign is short and easy but multiplayer will keep me playing the game for a long time.

Length is definitely another factor. I like a pretty lengthy game, but sometimes I you don't find out how lengthy it is until you play it.

Twitch is a good solution. I try to to reado some blogs as well, that's what actually helped inspire me to start my own gaming blog. I like sharing my opinion and knowing it's not influenced by some PR person.

Fan podcasts and their related blogs are another thing that helps me consider a game.

Back