Xbox 360 Do you read game reviews?

Xboxfan

Before trying out a new game, do you read some reviews first? I used to trust reviews before but now I prefer to try the game out myself. I think everyone is entitled to an opinion, I just don't think everyone has to think the same way. What about you? Do you read reviews first or just buy the game and see for yourself?

I like trying the game out myself but I prefer/like to read reviews from users on sites. I find that the everyday person gives a much more thorough and helpful review than a site like IGN. I breeze through it all and use my own judgement but I'm a cautious person so if I see that damn near everybody hates a game, I won't run out and spend $60 on it just because I think it sounds like a game I'd like.

You're right, Xboxfan, but you can at least find out the game quality, difficulty, graphics information and so on. I personally wouldn't play a game that has awful graphics, for example.

I love reading videogame reviews especially if they are witty and well written. Reviews often help me decide on what game to purchase or download. I could determine which games are great and which games are full of crap. It's really recommended that you read multiple reviews of a game before you buy. It would save you a lot of time and money.

I have found I look less at official game reviews (magazines or websites) and go to youtube. I can get from that a sense of the graphics and gameplay. I usually know already if I'm going to like the story already.

This way I dont have my opinion changed before I've even played it by the reviewer.

I have found I look less at official game reviews (magazines or websites) and go to youtube. I can get from that a sense of the graphics and gameplay. I usually know already if I'm going to like the story already.

Video game review websites offer video reviews that show graphics and gameplay of games. I find these video reviews a lot more comprehensive.

This way I dont have my opinion changed before I've even played it by the reviewer.
And what do you mean by this statement? Don't you want to change your opinion about a game? What if a game you thought was the best ever turned out to really suck? Won't you want to change your opinion before you would even buy the game?

Nope, I don't. And I've been a MUCH happier gamer for it. I can't begin to tell you the amount of games that have gotten low scores that I ended up playing to death and loving.

That's what kills me about this generation in particular. People have become such sheep that they'll take reviews as the word of God practically. All I can do is shake my head when I see people say things like "I only trust IGN's review" or "If Gamespot says it sucks, it must be true". As if they have no minds of their own and they'd rather let some payed opinion make up their minds for them.

Nope, I don't. And I've been a MUCH happier gamer for it. I can't begin to tell you the amount of games that have gotten low scores that I ended up playing to death and loving.

That's what kills me about this generation in particular. People have become such sheep that they'll take reviews as the word of God practically. All I can do is shake my head when I see people say things like "I only trust IGN's review" or "If Gamespot says it sucks, it must be true". As if they have no minds of their own and they'd rather let some payed opinion make up their minds for them.

Yes, this is sometimes true. A video game could get a bad review but you would enjoy it when you actually play it and sometimes a game with a great review could be a game that you could possibly hate. People have different tastes anyway and game reviews are generally written by one review staff only. This is why it would be wise to read a couple of reviews from different websites. Still, in the end, your opinion counts the most and not the opinion of others.

Yes, this is sometimes true. A video game could get a bad review but you would enjoy it when you actually play it and sometimes a game with a great review could be a game that you could possibly hate. People have different tastes anyway and game reviews are generally written by one review staff only. This is why it would be wise to read a couple of reviews from different websites. Still, in the end, your opinion counts the most and not the opinion of others.

Reading reviews is all well and good. Put a person shouldn't let them sway a decision. People have to understand something. These are nothing more than people paid to put up their opinion. And worse, these opinions can very well be swayed. Just look at the reason Jeff Grettsman was fired from Gamespot.

If a person needs insurance before a buy, there's always gamefly or borrowing from a friend.

I will read reviews just to see what others are saying....but it's the same with movie reviews...I often disagree. Of course everyone is entitled to an opinion but that doesn't mean we all think the same. I find that a lot of games with bad reviews are really excellent games and sometimes the ones people rave about are not that fantastic. It just depends. I do read reviews but I don't base decisions on it.

I definitely read reviews first before buying a game this way I make sure it's not terrible. I also check around on forums and see what people think about it, and will occasionally watch video reviews. However, I think the best way to tell if a game is good or not is to rent it and play it for a while.

If a game interests me, I'll mainly watch video reviews from Youtube. I have a few game reviewers I like to watch on Youtube and usually trust their opinions (example: Classic Game Room)

I will read reviews just to see what others are saying....but it's the same with movie reviews...I often disagree. Of course everyone is entitled to an opinion but that doesn't mean we all think the same. I find that a lot of games with bad reviews are really excellent games and sometimes the ones people rave about are not that fantastic. It just depends. I do read reviews but I don't base decisions on it.

I like the way you think. But the problem is far, FAR too many people seem to literally "trust" and based their decisions on what reviewers say. And it's upsetting because people are aware of the scandals that go on with game reviews. Yet they still "trust" them.

I normally contact my brother. He plays on the Xbox like there is no tomorrow and he has a Gamefly account. I just give him some money and he will order the game I am interested in and let me try it out. He makes a little extra money and I get to try a new game for $5.00 instead of paying $60.00.

I like the way you think. But the problem is far, FAR too many people seem to literally "trust" and based their decisions on what reviewers say. And it's upsetting because people are aware of the scandals that go on with game reviews. Yet they still "trust" them.

Well thank you ;). I agree it's a shame that so many think that way. It seems to me like it's just common sense to question reviews anyway, even if they are legit. Then you add on the obvious scandels and still have that level of blind faith? It's just bizzare, imo.

Well, videogame reviews are just opinions of video gamers. Video gamers have different tastes. Sometimes reviewers get it right, sometimes they get it wrong. But still, video game reviews are nice to come around. You do not solely make use of these reviews to make a decision. They just provide us with a guide. Just imagine if there were no video game reviews. Just imagine if no people told you their opinion about a certain game. I think making decisions would be a little bit harder.

I love reading multiple reviews on a game before buying it. As Jessi said, it's easy to disagree, but I feel that after reading a few reviews by multiple people I can take the extra step to partially include theirs views in how I buy the game. This is because certain flaws are just too big to ignore and I'd rather wait the time for them to be patched up.

Reviews are a great way to obtain information about how the game works, how it has improved from its sequel, and if you should purchase the game. I tend to read reviews before buying a game but I also keep in mind that reviews reflect the opinion of another person, not myself.

I tend to watch Yahtzee's Zero Punctuation reviews, mostly for the entertainment value. But having dated someone in the indie games community, I can tell you that reviews tend to mean relatively little and they stagnate the market because it seems like everyone will rush to do the same thing, to sell more product. Much like Hollywood, except a much quicker evolution and much more incestuous.

Reviews are a great way to obtain information about how the game works, how it has improved from its sequel, and if you should purchase the game. I tend to read reviews before buying a game but I also keep in mind that reviews reflect the opinion of another person, not myself.

Agree with you. I always read reviews, Watch videos and lets plays. This gives me a solid idea of what to expect from the game. Last time I bought a game without reading any reviews on it I purchased "Two Worlds" and "Gothic 3". Both terrible and broken games. Best thing to remember when reading reviews and looking at a games ratings is that some people might dislike a game for reasons you don't care about. For example hardcore fans of a series might rate a game low because they really hate the way the game designers made a certain character look. Things like that wont concern everyone so its important to look further than just how many stars a game has. In the end though reviews are going to tell me if the game is complete trash or not and lets play videos give me a really solid concept of the game in question.

Back